Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 4 x 9 plywood
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 4 x 9 plywood

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
tim-n-tn

tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm trying to re-roof my 94 gulfstream conquest that is 8'5" wide w/ 1/4" luaun. I've tried lowes and home depot and they do not offer 4 x 9 or 4 x 10 sheets. any suggestions on where to find this? My other option would be 4 x 8 sheets with a brace between the rafters to splice an 8' sheet to the 5" piece so that it is fully supported underneath. any suggestions will be appreciated! Thx, tim-n-tn

moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read your post and,out of curiosity, went on google and typed “who sells 4x10 sheets of plywood near me”. I got quite a few suggestions.
Good luck.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure you can order 4X10 sheets of Lauan plywood but it will be costly. Since your roof is going to have pieces butted together anyway, using 4X8 sheets with a 5" piece spliced in there will be fine and will be much cheaper. I would suggest using a narrow Crown Stapler to attach the Lauan to the rafters. If you don't have one, Harborfreight sells one for under $30 Crown Stapler I have a Porter Cable Crown Stapler that I always use when working with Lauan but for a one time project, the Harborfreight gun is good enough.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try your local lumber yards, not home centers.

What your looking for is commonly called Door Skin and is used to skin hollow doors.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also try a place that sells marine plywood to boat builders.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll have to order it if you buy from Lowes. Try a place that caters to builders and contractors.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tim-n-tn wrote:

I'm trying to re-roof my 94 gulfstream conquest that is 8'5" wide w/ 1/4" luaun. I've tried lowes and home depot and they do not offer 4 x 9 or 4 x 10 sheets. any suggestions on where to find this? My other option would be 4 x 8 sheets with a brace between the rafters to splice an 8' sheet to the 5" piece so that it is fully supported underneath. any suggestions will be appreciated! Thx, tim-n-tn

You can find the right sized sheets (and proper fasteners) with a little searching. IMO, splicing shorter sheets together would be a VERY BAD idea. In fact, you should cut the replacement sheets (as necessary) as closely as you can to replace the existing sheets. IMO, any future soft spots in your roof are a bad idea.

Chum lee

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We get it from a large lumber supplier in the DFW Texas area. Retail cost(what we would charge over the counter and what Insurance pays us on roof jobs) for a 4 by 10 foot sheet is $56.68. Doug

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the "Marine" suggestion too. and make sure it is MARINE grade as well. Stands up to weather better.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on what kind of a joint you make, splicing can be perfectly fine. A properly made scarf joint, for instance, will be as strong as the base plywood. Making one would require the construction of a jig or two of some sort, or using one that someone else has made.

A scarf joint is basically just a very shallow angle wedge or miter sort of joint, typically something around 1:8 or 1:10 rise to run. For 1/4" plywood, it should be possible to cut the angles with a Skilsaw and a suitable jig; though I'm speaking not from experience but only from thinking it through as I'll also be replacing my motorhome's roof this year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 4 x 9 plywood
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.