Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: How bad is this?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How bad is this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have been RVing for years and have undertaken extensive repairs on my TT to remediate water leaks.

I know in general how RVs are constructed and am not afraid of tearing into them for repairs, but don't know much about truck campers per se. DW and I have been contemplating selling the TT and getting a TC or Class C, and this one popped up.

This is a 2001 Lance camper with a slide, dry inside, but the RF corner where the jack goes is shot. It's sitting on cinder blocks and not sure how to get it on a truck to move it.

We were looking for a project, but am concerned about the fiberglas buckled on the opposite corner....it this a major structural damage?

The price is right, what are your thoughts?

This is the RF corner where the jack attaches

[image]
[image]

Here is the other side

[image]
[image]

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was free the price would not be right.

That is a lot of work, if it is damaged there it probably has issues in other places.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wood framed truck campers are built like travel trailers. If you like projects and are familiar with water damage than have at it. Personally I wouldn't buy a project like this. If this camper has been neglected to the point of this much damage at this location I'm sure many other surprises will reveal themselves once you start peeling back the layers.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well coincidentally it IS free....I just have to move it off the lot where it is. Forgot to mention that the inside is bone dry, no water stains or signs of leaking at all.

[image]

camperfamily

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your up for a considerable project... Lots of obvious water damage and delimitation apparent in those pics. Be ready to take a lot apart to get to the damage. And for it to look like it was repaired, unless your really good with body work. It would depend on my time availability and in person inspection if I were to take on that project. Been there, done that.

2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do I move it?

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it Lance ?
Typical issue with them.
Even on the picture you can see steel chanel in the vertical corner and steel chanel under the slide. But those steel angles were never connected and there is limit how much wood can hold. No dryrot necessary.
If you can get welder there, all it takes to patch the frame is add about 2" of steel to connect the channels. That suppose to be strong enough to support the jack on empty camper.
Once you get it home - you can make it longer project.
The siding buckled at cabover pivoting point is "normal" as well.

* This post was edited 02/26/19 09:53pm by Kayteg1 *

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a couple 4x10 10 footers. Slip one under the front and rear. You can build any additional support framing to support the front right corner. Get or rent a flat trailer and lift the camper high enough to get the trailer under it between the 4x10s. Strap it down securely with heavy truck cargo straps. Haul 8t home and reverse process to unload.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can lift a TC with only three jacks. It requires keeping the camper out of level with the back kitty corner jack low and the camper tilted back. Scary but possible.

or

Since you are going to be tearing that entire corner apart anyway you could lag into whats left of the corner framing that isn't rot and bolt a 2x to the camper and use another 2x screwed to that down to the ground with a bottle jack or such.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 03:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May I suggest you take a look at some of the rot restauration threads up in Truck Camper University? That is a sticky thread at the top of the forum page. It will give you an idea about what you are getting youself into. It is much more work than what it looks like.

The driver's side corner is probably no better than the passenger side. It just has not given away yet. When you load the camper, I would not expect that corner to be any more structurally sound than the other side.

To move the camper you will need to build some temporary structural reinforcements and attach them to the camper structure where it is still solid. Some disassemly is probably needed to find out where that is.

* This post was edited 02/27/19 04:19am by joerg68 *

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How bad is this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.