Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: How bad is this?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How bad is this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whats something like this weigh? Right now the camper is about 3 mi from my house, could my buddy haul it over here with his F150? Or would I be better off renting a car trailer from U Haul?

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I can see in the photos it looks like it’s just an 8-footer. You could get it home in an F150, though it’s curious that you’d want a truck camper if you don’t have a truck?
A U-haul car trailer could possibly work but I think it would be complicatied because they aren’t flatbeds. But, that flatbed idea sounds like a good one.
This sounds crazy but I may or may not have once done it:
Back the truck up to it with the gate down.
Put a sheet of plywood under it, spanning between the truck and under the front of the camper.
(You’ll need to have the camper jacked to the truck height).
Then the trick is to put wooden dowels under it and use ratchet straps to pull it into the truck bed. That also requires getting some wood and dowels under the middle so the back doesn’t crash off the sawhorses or whatever it’s on.
Removal is the reverse. I did a few reverse brake jolts to get it started coming out the back, do that at your own indescretion. Those dowels make that a pretty fine art.
You can get it all the way in the truck with careful-but-firm forward brake jolts but stack a few 2x10s across the front of the truck box first. Stack ‘em two-thick. Otherwise you’ll end up bending the front wall of the truck bed. Or just winch it as far in as you can then block the front so it doesn’t slam forward on its own the first time you stop.
The other way I’ve done it several times is easier.
Bring your crane truck home, strap it up with spreader bars across the roof, lift it and swing it over into the truck. That’s by far the best way, if you can get past that first step.

One more way I’ve moved a camper with a hurt foot is by using some of the old-style camper jacks.
These are a truly ready-made solution. They are portable, with a little tripod base.
They have a cable and winch, and a love of angle iron on top. You just set them up against the outer lower edges of the camper and start cranking it up.
You used to be able to rent them.
MAYBE you still can...

* This post was edited 02/27/19 07:08am by burningman *

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks burningman. DW and I have been contemplating selling the TT and getting a TC or Class C, and this one popped up. I figured "free" is certainly in my price range, and I can afford to take a year or two fixing this up. If we decide to keep it we'll sell the TT and Suburban and get a truck. I may even throw in my Challenger Scat Pack and get a NEW truck...

What do you think about this U Haul trailer? Will it hold the weight?

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest you do not mess with it since the cab over is sagging on the passenger side and shows clue to extensive hidden damage above the area photographed. I would stay away from it since the real work is getting strength back to carry the weight of the cab over. Plus that area to gain that strength is not yet uncovered.

Sometimes it's a whole lot easier to make small payments on a good unit than uncovering a nightmare.

Wait till you look at truck price before you buy a TC though. A good low miles Class C is easier to find.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burb- you sound like a "go-getter" who is handy with construction skills... and like all of us, are looking for a bargain. As others have stated, this camper is perhaps beyond resurrection. But if you insist on getting it, i would recommend that you consider it a total loss as you begin the journey and from there determine if anything can be saved.

perhaps you use it as a learning tool and provide free disposal for the person getting rid of it. You could do a deconstruction project and perhaps salvage components to sell if they are is acceptable shape, you could use it as a learning tool.

In my opinion, the evidence is that it is too far gone and there are many unknowns still lurking. You might spent time and money to then only discover something that will make it unusable. I have done significant repairs to a past camper and from what I learned was that I will never do it again. I would rather be camping instead of repairing the camper.

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Thanks burningman. DW and I have been contemplating selling the TT and getting a TC or Class C, and this one popped up. I figured "free" is certainly in my price range, and I can afford to take a year or two fixing this up. If we decide to keep it we'll sell the TT and Suburban and get a truck. I may even throw in my Challenger Scat Pack and get a NEW truck...

What do you think about this U Haul trailer? Will it hold the weight?

Most likely the ramp on that rental will be in the way. You need a flat deck trailer rated for over 3000 lbs of payload and side walls no higher than 18" if you cannot get a truck that has tie downs to secure the camper.

I would look into removable wing jacks or possibly dry wall jacks to support the camper until you roll a truck or trailer under it.

I agree that the cabover and both front corners have damage that will require disassembly and rebuilding. Unless you have the time and covered workshop, your time may be more valuable than trying to repair this free camper.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

How do I move it?

Have a roll back O/O come in give you a estimate and their plan of proper cable/big straps or what of sliding it onto the rollbacks bed.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Whats something like this weigh? Right now the camper is about 3 mi from my house, could my buddy haul it over here with his F150? Or would I be better off renting a car trailer from U Haul?

You will find info HERE
Take the listed weight with grain of salt as lot of us experienced it much heavier.
When the camper looks badly damaged, Lance is desirable model and several members spend a fortune to have them professionally rebuild, since it still cost 1/3 what new camper and give you improvements option.
There is a shop in WA who specializes in that.
Check Lance forum for pictorial how actual campers were fixed.
I don't think F150 is good for any TC and since there is risk involved, I would not ask friend to use his truck. Rent a trailer.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you fasten skids to the bottom of the camper, it will destroy it by trying to slide it without rollers.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Overall I’d agree it isn’t worth taking for free.
Replacing the skin alone will be some real money just for the materials, I’ve looked into it a time or three.
And I’m a guy who - until recently - always had old and cheap campers that I fixed up.

* This post was edited 02/27/19 02:13pm by burningman *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How bad is this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.