cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you go with 2nd AC?

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
We have an option to buy a Grand Design Reflection 295RL with or without a 2nd AC in the front bedroom for the same price.

We often camp without electricity and were originally thinking that the vent in the bedroom plus the cross ventilation with two windows will be great when we are not hooked up. I am concerned that losing the vent in the bedroom will reduce our circulation too much.

However, sometimes we do have electricity and now I am concerned that the bedroom will be warm with only one AC in the main living space.

Anybody have any thoughts on what they would do in this situation with the same camping style?
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL
40 REPLIES 40

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the 2nd AC. When boondocking, open the bedroom windows, fire-up the fans ( Fantastic, MaxAir, or whatever), in the exhaust (discharge) direction.....they will draw air through the bedroom. It works for us!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever come south you will thank the Lord for the second AC
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
Get it with the factory installed 2nd AC with thermostat control. My dealership talked me into installing the AC after delivery which in retrospect was a mistake.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
The RV industry does have a standard for AC and it's 27 foot and over....There's a lot on this forum who have traded their one AC rig for that very reason.

What industry standard are you referring too? Never heard or seen anothing like that.
Lots of people on this forum have traded their rigs in that reason? Never read one single post about how someone traded their rig in just because it didn't have a 2nd AC.
#fakenews
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
My new 5er has 2 AC's. Cant wait to try it out in 100+ degree weather. With one AC your lucky if you can get a 12 deg difference i.E. 110 outside 98 inside which sucks. Now if you can park in the shade you might get 18 deg diff
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't buy any rig 27 foot or over without a second AC. The RV industry does have a standard for AC and it's 27 foot and over. You'll be glad you got it. There's a lot on this forum who have traded their one AC rig for that very reason.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a week of 100+ temps at a VA campground 2 summers ago I added a second air. Took forever to cool the 5er down when we got there and was slightly miserable the whole time. Don't leave home without it.
Side note. Have your buddy put the front end loader in the shade before lifting you and the new AC to the roof. Those buckets get hot :).
Puma 30RKSS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
First, Bedroom has an A/C unit and a MAXX Air full function fan. Bathroom has a MAXX Air multi speed out only fan. Living room has two A/C's along with a full function MAXX Air Fan. All three Fans now have Fantastic Vent covers.

Second, unfortunately NOT my Shop. That is Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK where my RV was getting it's PDI. Ladder is at the rear.

OP, get the two A/C rig!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This may answer your question.

The front corner shows what looks like a vent without an A/C unit... So are you saying don't get it?
Or is that the bathroom? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I assume the ladder is on the rear but maybe that is the front of a TH?
I think he just wanted to show off his fancy garage...:C
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

The front corner shows what looks like a vent without an A/C unit... So are you saying don't get it?
Or is that the bathroom? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I assume the ladder is on the rear but maybe that is the front of a TH?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

No slide toppers C12?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
The more the merrier.....Go with 2.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

tommyznr
Explorer
Explorer
As far as price goes, we negotiated on a unit without the 2nd AC three weeks ago. We did not actually commit to buying the unit until this week and put $500 down on Wednesday. They sent us the paperwork and a link to the unit on their website with an actual stock number. That unit has a higher base price and a 2nd AC unit in the description. I suspect it is an over site or an effort to dump the one with the 2nd AC unit.

We do a lot of camping in Wisconsin plus a two week trip each year to some far away place. Those trips should increase with the last kid headed to college this fall.

I appreciate the advice given in the thread, lots to consider. I could still have them change the unit but once we send off the paperwork to the bank it will be all but done.

We are planning to sit on it one more day and will likely stick with the 2nd AC unit.
Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would get the 2nd AC and put a Fantastic Fan or equivalent in the vent in the bathroom. Then, when the 2nd AC is not needed you can open a window in the bedroom and turn on the Fantastic Fan on discharge to get air drawn through the bedroom. It would be quiet and comfortable at the same time! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine