cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever pulled a 34 foot or larger thru the smokey’s On 441? From Gatlinburg to Cherokee N C

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
7 REPLIES 7

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlh wrote:
I know that this is a very old post, but didn't want to start a new thread if not needed. How is the typical weather on 441 during late November around Thanksgiving? I am coming through from north GA to PF. I'm pulling a 29 foot TT. I have no problem taking that route with the trailer, but did not want to add ice or snow into the equation.

Most of the leaves will be gone and there is a chance of some snow up top, but that chance is very small. Bigger chance of fog or clouds across the top
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
Most years there is no problem, but the typical weather for the area is highly variable. Just watch the conditions the week of your trip. It is extremely rare for an extended forecast to be useful to make that drive.

This year has been much warmer and much dryer than normal. If the current pattern does not change, you are just as likely to get road closures due to fire and smoke as weather. The US Forest Service has already moved a 'Sky Crane' fire fighting helicopter into the Macon County NC airport in anticipation of a bad fire season. 2016 was the year that Gatlinburg came very close to being being totally lost, and this years fire conditions for the area are just as bad or worse in the area.
CarriGo
Model 2320

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
mlh wrote:
I know that this is a very old post, but didn't want to start a new thread if not needed. How is the typical weather on 441 during late November around Thanksgiving? I am coming through from north GA to PF. I'm pulling a 29 foot TT. I have no problem taking that route with the trailer, but did not want to add ice or snow into the equation.

Usually the weather is ok this time of year, but sometimes the weather can change quickly on top of the mountains, so I would check a few days before you head that way.
:C
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
That road is beautiful. I would not hesitate to go through tomorrow. I love roads like that.

When you go go down that grade headed east, make sure that you downshift and let your engine control your speed. The speed limit is 35 mph and the suggested speeds on the switchbacks is 20 mph. With my truck and TT, I shifted between second and third gears to maintain my speeds without hitting the brakes. Always go down a hill in at least one gear lower than you went up. Your brakes will thank you. My Dad was a lifetime truck driver and he pounded that into my head when I learned to drive. I have NEVER had hot brakes in over 20 trips through the Rockies in RV's and when pulling TT's.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Its pretty steep on the downhill side going into NC and has quite a few sharp turns. Going up from G'burg is still steep and some sharp turns with ample room to make it. You better know what you're doing to take it on. Every time I have gone over the mountain I have seen RV's from A's to C's to trailers and even cars with their brakes burned up. A diesel with an exhaust brake system is the best but if you don't have that you better know your limits and how to use your tranny gears.

What is your destination? If its Cherokee then I would go I-40 to exit 20, rt.276 to NC19 and go in that way. Its still steep in a couple places but not near as bad as 441.

If its points further south go to exit 27, Rt 74, the Smoky Mtn Expressway to hook up with 23. I take this route when we go to FL and like a lot better than 75.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Gone over with a 35' FW, 30' TT, and TCs over the last 40 years. Just remember to gear down so you don't have to use your brakes and you will be fine. You can even take the side road up to Climngmans Dome if you want.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)