cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st time buyer - 31 vs 35 ft trailer?

frenchmr
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to get a 5th wheel trailer soon and are debating between a trailer that is 31 ft and one that is 35 ft length.

It's our first time pulling a 5th wheel trailer so we are leaning towards the 31 ft trailer so it's easier to pull and find camping spots, but we have 5 kids and the 35 ft one has a dedicated bunk room, plus an extra bathroom and an outdoor kitchen. The 31 ft trailer does have double bunks.

What advice would you have? Should we go with shorter to keep it simpler or is the extra 4 ft not as big of an impact and we should go with one that fits our family better? Our plan is do a fairly even mix of dry camping and campground camping, I'm in Utah.

Here are the models we are considering. Would love any feedback on these two as well.

2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT 26.5BHS
https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2018-eagle-ht-fifth-wheel/265bhs/

HIDEOUT 308BHDS
https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-wheels/hideout/floorplans/308bhds-fifth-wheel/

Thanks for the help!
43 REPLIES 43

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The market is a sellers market. My thinking is that RV's are still selling at record numbers and that they can hold out for another buyer in hopes of getting more money. If dealers had a hard time moving inventory then the buyer would be able to deal for lower prices.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
frenchmr wrote:
I went to the local Hideout dealer this afternoon. They have the trailer listed for $33k, retail of $45k. That price is consistent with other dealers in the general region. I tried negotiating down to $30k, but the most they would come down to is $32k. I countered with $31.5k and they wouldn't budge. What kind of discount is reasonable to negotiate? It's my first time buying a new trailer.

We got =very= lucky on our KZ. It had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 10 months and, on one call, I ended up getting the owner directly. He said, "I need to move this and get something new. I'll sell it for $XX, plus T&T." I about cr@pped myself and told him I needed to talk to SWMBO and get back to him. Called him back about an hour later and gave him a grand down on a card. Was about 42% off retail and, as far as I can tell, was right at, or just below, his cost. He said they were losing $5k; not sure I believe it, though. This was new old stock, with full warranty.

In what I've read here the past nearly 15 years, I'd say 30-35% off "MSRP" is about the going discount. Of course, "MSRP" can be some number that that particular dealer pulled out of his nether regions. There've been numerous reports over the years of identical rigs with wildly differing "MSRPs". They always seem to blame "delivery charges" for the difference even when the dealers are only a couple hundred miles apart. Jayco does have a "build and price" feature, which prevents this kind gouging and does give the lie to the "delivery charge" b.s. for nearby dealers. While I haven't looked at too many dealer sites recently, Jayco is the only one I know of off-hand that has the build and price feature, but there may be others.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
frenchmr wrote:
Thanks for the reply and feedback! The 31 ft trailer can work for us, but we definitely would be a lot more comfortable with the 35 ft one (I forgot to mention we also have 2 dogs!).

On the entertainment center, I agree that it is not at an ideal viewing angle, it seems to be a common place for the newer trailers in this size range floorplan. My hope is we can get a TV mount bracket that can swivel out enough to make it ok for viewing.

Take a look at This one Notice that the TV is directly across from recliner chairs, and the the extra bathroom is part of the bunkhouse
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
another thing since you haven't bought the truck yet, get a 1 ton duel rear wheel then you know you'll have enough payload for pretty much anything

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
It has been said before ... no one ever complains that they bought too much truck. Get a 350/3500. And, I second the comment on the exhaust brake. I will never tow heavy again without one.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with getting the rig that fits your family. We downsized from 35-30’ and fine does give us more sites in State or County Parks we use. 4 ‘ difference doesn’t sound like much but most of the distance was from the hitch to the trailer axles which was noticeable.

We love our floor plan have the two of us and two medium size dogs, occasionally grandkids. Fitting 5 on a rainy weekend could be a challenge.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of asking me, how about you read the comment made by an actual owner in this thread:
“I own the 308BHDS and it's a great layout. Hideout is the low end of a mediocre manufacturer...”
That’s not me, that’s another owner.
But yes, it is low-end compared to my GD. It doesn’t take an industry expert or RV manufacturers publication to know that the Hideout is low-end for its class and the Jayco is very close to it. I’m not saying it’s bad or that I myself haven’t owned a lower end RV...but to deny that different classes exist and then not be willing to point it out is just foolish.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Prices and negotiable range surely differ by region.
However, at that price point, you'd be able to get a nicer unit than the Hideout. Get on a Keystone forum and ask others what they were able to get their rig for. I'm guessing $25K is very doable. Don't get concerned with with MSRP. That's an internal made-up number that means nothing.
SBGTF

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good idea above, as to the fees. When getting close to final price, be sure it is an out the door price, nothing else added. Even the documentation fee, they will insist needs paying. I agree with them, but say it will come out of your end.

In any case, you need to be prepared to make your deal RIGHT NOW, check book in hand, stating your OTD offer. I never ask...will you take this amount, but instead tell them, I will pay this OTD price right now, or I will be looking else where. Now you can walk out, wait for the call. If no call, you really want the trailer, you can always go back and take their deal.

Jerry

RubyMountainHig
Explorer
Explorer
I would ask them to waive dealer prep, pdi fees, etc. Try to get some upgrades like better batteries, hitch discount etc. I just purchased a 2018 Jayco Eagle @ CW in Kaysville and was able to negotiate an exceptional deal on a 2018 model. Good Luck

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
frenchmr wrote:
I went to the local Hideout dealer this afternoon. They have the trailer listed for $33k, retail of $45k. That price is consistent with other dealers in the general region. I tried negotiating down to $30k, but the most they would come down to is $32k. I countered with $31.5k and they wouldn't budge. What kind of discount is reasonable to negotiate? It's my first time buying a new trailer.

Hi guys - when I was deep into my negotiation I ended up leaving (as it sounds like you did) and went back (got about 2 miles down the highway and they called) when they gave me a couple hundred dollars off and a few hundred in product from their parts store (I used it towards a hitch and installation). If they let you leave without calling with lower numbers they are likely near their bottom line. I'm sure the dealer is also considering busy season is coming. I think I paid around 31.5K but that was 3 years ago. You're right at the point of a great deal for that unit. If it's local and you have the dealer to stand behind it I'd jump on it if it's really what you want.

frenchmr
Explorer
Explorer

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
guidry wrote:
If you stop for a potty break can you get to the bathroom and refrigerator without putting a slide out? That’s important too.

I see this comment a lot. Are there really that many people that stop in the middle of the road to do their business and get a snack?

I agree with you 100%. Even then, it's like pushing a button for a few seconds to extend a slide is such a hassle that you should never buy a rig that would require such. That got to be one of the last things I'd consider. And besides, there are so few rigs out there which have no bathroom access with slides in that the comment is further not necessary.

And also like those who immediately jump into the solar suggestions. Both of the rigs that the OP is looking at are low-end. I've never heard anyone say they were going to buy a low-end rig so they can have enough money left over to add solar power.
SBGTF

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
When everyone says look at the payload they (should) mean add it all up. Not just the trailer but max people of max size (kids grow!), toys, fuel, oil, coolant, tranny oil, hitch, tools, stuff in the bed, etc.

It's all payload and adds up faster than you might imagine. Then add a comfort factor so you aren't maxed out all the time.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide