Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Be careful how you use GPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful how you use GPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GPS can be a wonderful tool. But, recently we had some instances where people were not using there head with it.

We had a big blizzard. It got bad enough that the state of MN closed down the interstates and state highways. So then some people pulled out there GPS phone things and started to look for alternative routes. If the main roads are snowed shut what would make you think that the county roads would be open? Naturally, they got stuck. Some of them went down gravel roads that had not been plowed in weeks drove at high speeds into big snowbanks and buried there cars over the roof. They then would call the towing company and get laughed at. Now, they are looking at spending the night in the car and low and behold, guess what? They have no gas, and no emergency supplies ! Then they called 911.

The county highway department had to go rescue them. They took their biggest snow plow with a big V-plow on the front and a second plow behind that to pull the first one out when it would get stuck. Then they had a pickup after that to give a place for the stranded people to ride in back to town.

It took the highway department 9 hours to rescue 12 different groups of people. None of them were local people, not one. They were all from 100's and 1000's of miles away. From St.Paul to Omaha.

I realize this is not the fault of GPS it's the fault of the people using it. I am just posting it here to blow off some steam and to give a warning to people on here.

IF THEY CLOSE THE ROAD IN A BLIZZARD DON'T TRY TO FIND A ALTERNATE ROUTE !! Stay in whatever town you are. It might suck, but, it will suck less then spending the night in your car. Plus, the people that who got their cars stuck in a snowbank are going to have to spend a lot of towing money to get it out. (up to a couple of days later) I'm not so sure they didn't get a ticket from the local police too.

One more thing. If you are going to drive around up north in the winter keep a full tank of gas and some emergency supplies in the vehicle !!! The MN State Patrol posts this all the time and yet people are still not doing it.

Sorry for the rant, I will get off of my soapbox now.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent nearly 30-years working public safety communications & answering 9-1-1 calls. I can attest to the fact that some people will do incredibly stupid things.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Rvpapa

Alberta , Can.

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At C-Charlie, RIGHT ON!!
Art.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fully agree with you. Its not just for the safety of the traveller, but also the safety of the first responders (police, paramedics, fire, tow truck or snow plows....). They don't generally close the main roads until after the big accident 30-100+ cars)
Around here the biggest problem is 'snow streamers', bands of snow and winds coming from the north west over Lake Huron/Georgian Bay. They are about a mile wide and not predictable. 5 minutes you are driving in clear sunny conditions, then in 30 secs, you can't see the front of your car. Boom.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

things like this used to take most of them out of the 'GENE POOL'

if too stupid to be safe, they did not get to 'pass it on' to another generation

common sense, is NOW "Very Uncommon"

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

common sense, is NOW "Very Uncommon"

I really can't recall a time when it was common...

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably most of the people that followed their GPS and got their car stuck had the attitude, 'No problem I have four wheel drive.'

We can't fix stupid.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes I only have to look in my backyard to see these morons. Despite having this sign made and hanging it on a tree next to my driveway in front of the house.......

[image]

I still occasionally have someone drive past it into my backyard. This was just last week. He was lucky he stayed on the rock path for my tractor. It had been raining for days and that was a 2WD truck.

[image]

[emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Ron White says, “you can’t fix stupid”. Unfortunately, as a Ken said, it’s not just the moron that is at risk. It’s everyone who needs to rescue them.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/19 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not the GPS that's been used incorrectly. It's the common attitude of "I want it now".

Rather than wait for the roads to clear, these people insisted on "now" and as usual it backfired.

Patience is far less common than common sense.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful how you use GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.