Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Be careful how you use GPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful how you use GPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hehehehehe! The misadventures of being guided by a GPS.
Three different ones and two built into the vehicles.
I think I have told most, certainly many of them.
One in my truck trying a different route to save mileage and time to Dale Hollow.I know I went down someones drive and a goat path or two and others. When I got home I downloaded the route and printed it. It was an Indian path/road from the 1700-1800s. It had been graveled and paved in spots used by wagons and then model Ts.
One was an old Stage Coach road of the Old Natchz Stage roaad, I think is the name. one leg of it to the north of the Interstate went past the two story home inn that Grand Ma was born in and her Sister who sold biscuits and coffee to the Stage Coach Riders.
Another in Travers City or just outside of it the Garmin wanted us to turn right on a broad sidewalk and down into the lake and back up along the shore under water,I wonder how long ago aqo an Indian path went that way.
In southern Michigan you cannot trust GPS, They will constantly try to get you to turn and follow old fiords the Indians used now in people's yards and so forth leading into lakes dredged long ago for lime. They didn't just all travel the old Chicago Road. Or the Interstates in NC and SC an Missouri and so on. The GPS maps have not been update since before they built long stretches of Interstates, They show you in fields and woods, an such.
Or tell you to turn around and then turn right next road and take you on several right and left turns on other roads for many miles and back out a mile up the road you are traveling on. US 12 in that instance.
And so on. some are funny but not while you are trying to get somewhere. The funny comes much much later.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my 32' Class C (towing a car), I would occasionally tell DW, "oh, heck no, I am NOT turning there." She would always agree.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

never wise to blindly trust any GPS but in my experience a lot of routing issues can be avoided by always selecting the *quickest* route instead of the *shortest* route. and always review the route before setting out. if you get to a turn that doesn't look right pull over and check the routing before proceding.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I learned in 25 years of telling cops where to go for a living.

PEOPLE CAN BE VERY STUPID (Now this would be the perfect spot for a political comment but..Well I'll limit it to this would be the perfect spot)

I mean, as an example.. If a road was closed I had over half a dozen routes I could take from Home to Work. Some I turned left out my drive some right. Some left at the end of my road. some right to give you an idea of how flexible they were.. Once had to give Troopers directions around a major traffic cluster (Tore up road) they were amazed (I did not tell them said road was my PRIMARY way to work).

Well got a call from a scared motorist "We had to get off cause the freeway is closed and we are lost" The directions I gave 'em.. Take service drive 1/2 mile and re-enter freeway.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

I spent nearly 30-years working public safety communications & answering 9-1-1 calls. I can attest to the fact that some people will do incredibly stupid things.

A good portion of the people in this country are stupid in more ways than one.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stupidity is the only resource the human race has in truly unlimited abundance.

KCFDCapt

At Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a term we use in the fire service - Death By GPS. Yes, PEOPLE BLINDLY TRUST THAT DEVICE AND WIND UP IN TROUBLE.

A famous mistake resulted in the death of an entire family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_Germans

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My driveway is what most would call 'substantial' in width and length, it goes down past the house to my shop and hangar and then beyond that to my grass airstrip which runs the length of my fields and then there's a clearway that (save for the fence line) runs clear through to the next side-road.

Because of a river just south of me it's a long way back to the next cross-road to the north. A few years back the county rebuilt the bridge which effectively put me on a year long dead end. We giggled at all the folks who would drive past, and AROUND "road closed" signs just to have to turn around and drive miles back to go around.

Giggled that is until one Saturday morning when an SUV came down the road, slowed to about 35 or 40 mph and turned into my driveway like it was an off-ramp!! I just happened to be in the driveway talking to a friend when this happened and the guy in the SUV puled right up behind him and then started to pull around him onto my lawn.

When I asked what the heck they thought they were doing the female passenger replied in a snotty tone that "they were taking the by-pass, get the @#$% out of the way!".

Upon questioning they pointed to their GPS and sure enough, the map database (presumably based on an air photo) showed my driveway and airstrip as if it was a road!! At one point they threatened to call the police if I didn't stop 'illegally blocking them' because it was a road, the GPS "proved it".

It took more than a little 'convincing' to get them to turn around and bugger off.

I have since gotten the offending map software changed, but they still show the driveway as far as the house as if it was a roadway.

Google does too.

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

San Antonio got tired of rescuing people that drove around high water barricades and passed a law. If you go around a barricade or barrier and have to be recued not only do you get a ticket you also have to pay for the rescue. Most end up paying 3-4 thousand dollars for the rescue and the insurance companies will not pay for it.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is enough stupidity with people and GPS to keep this thread going for enernity.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful how you use GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.