Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Be careful how you use GPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful how you use GPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

San Antonio got tired of rescuing people that drove around high water barricades and passed a law. If you go around a barricade or barrier and have to be recued not only do you get a ticket you also have to pay for the rescue. Most end up paying 3-4 thousand dollars for the rescue and the insurance companies will not pay for it.

Just over a year a poor little boy lost his life because of his own MOTHER'S stupidity.

She was DUI and in driving home drove around a "road closed" sign and her son was washed away from the vehicle as they tried to get out of it in the flood water.

Clicky.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

San Antonio got tired of rescuing people that drove around high water barricades and passed a law. If you go around a barricade or barrier and have to be recued not only do you get a ticket you also have to pay for the rescue. Most end up paying 3-4 thousand dollars for the rescue and the insurance companies will not pay for it.

Just over a year a poor little boy lost his life because of his own MOTHER'S stupidity.

She was DUI and in driving home drove around a "road closed" sign and her son was washed away from the vehicle as they tried to get out of it in the flood water.

Clicky.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KCFDCapt wrote:

We have a term we use in the fire service - Death By GPS. Yes, PEOPLE BLINDLY TRUST THAT DEVICE AND WIND UP IN TROUBLE.

A famous mistake resulted in the death of an entire family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_Germans

I don't believe this was the cause of a GPS. It's not mentioned in the article and I believe this was prior to GPS technology being available to the public. Even if it was, it likely would have only showed location on a blank map and not capable of plotting a route.

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The machine Knows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOW_kPzY_JY

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fred42 wrote:

The machine Knows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOW_kPzY_JY

That was good. lol

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

Yes, but, in this case of what I put in the original post they did not drive around the barricades. They just tried to find different routes down other roads. Those roads were also closed by the local county sheriff but, there was no way for them to know that. Maybe that is part of the solution. The local sheriff needs to have a way to let the GPS system know that roads are closed. That way it would show up as closed on the persons phones and they would not try it. If they did then they would be subject to arrest.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

1995brave wrote:

Yes, but, in this case of what I put in the original post they did not drive around the barricades. They just tried to find different routes down other roads. Those roads were also closed by the local county sheriff but, there was no way for them to know that. Maybe that is part of the solution. The local sheriff needs to have a way to let the GPS system know that roads are closed. That way it would show up as closed on the persons phones and they would not try it. If they did then they would be subject to arrest.

They do it is called WAZE, app for your phone shows real-time traffic and roads

But still people need to pay attention to,what they are doing because things can change quickly in weather

KCFDCapt

At Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cross21114 wrote:

KCFDCapt wrote:

We have a term we use in the fire service - Death By GPS. Yes, PEOPLE BLINDLY TRUST THAT DEVICE AND WIND UP IN TROUBLE.

A famous mistake resulted in the death of an entire family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_Germans

I don't believe this was the cause of a GPS. It's not mentioned in the article and I believe this was prior to GPS technology being available to the public. Even if it was, it likely would have only showed location on a blank map and not capable of plotting a route.

Google death by GPS and you will find many examples of problems in the Death Valley area. I live close to Death Valley and have read many articles on this incident. Way too much information to put in a post here. Thank you for your opinion on this. It keeps the discussion alive, which is more than I can say for those German tourists.

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Probably most of the people that followed their GPS and got their car stuck had the attitude, 'No problem I have four wheel drive.'

We can't fix stupid.

I lived most of my life in deep snow country and never owned a 4wd. I learned early on if you couldn't get through with 2wd you should probably not be on the road. If you get stuck with 2wd a 4wd can get you out, get stuck with 4wd and it will take a farm tractor or bigger to get you out. Now that I moved in to a more civilized area I have AWD because of the hills I have to climb.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years before GPS, on a rainy and foggy Saturday night, we had a late evening knock on our front door ... it was a local deputy sheriff at the door who had got out of their squad car that was parked and running out in front. The deputy was lost and needed directions from us.

It's not always GPS that is the problem. A lot of folks don't really know where they are in life in general. [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Be careful how you use GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.