cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dawson City to Watson Lake

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Any current thoughts on using the Campbell Highway for this leg? I did it in 2005 in a truck camper and had no problems. My pictures show some parts were gravel.

Would be doing it in early October this year in a 36' pulling a SUV.

Thanks

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition
16 REPLIES 16

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Seamutt wrote:
Hello Sue do you have a recommended time for travelling the Yukon. Kinda like to avoid the worst of the buzz bombs, them flying nasties. We may have to head out in May June anyhow but if that changes looking for a recommendation.

When we lived on Vancouver Island, we usually toured north in September. Less traffic and few flying nasties. Lots of spectacular fall colours. Although hubby enjoyed our visit to Inuvik for the longest day of the year. He was surprised to see the sun up at 2 am :C
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Sue do you have a recommended time for travelling the Yukon. Kinda like to avoid the worst of the buzz bombs, them flying nasties. We may have to head out in May June anyhow but if that changes looking for a recommendation.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks sue... was a very interesting conversation with that Fella..
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I checked in with a buddy who lives in Dawson City and he advised that the RCMP still have a truck/camper and use it once in while on the Dempster.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Sue....
Do the RCMP know if the Dawson City detachment still use the Truck and camper to patrol the Dempster Hwy in the summer?
When we were in Dawson City in 2004 ( I think) I was out for a walk at 04:00 and chatted up with a RCMP officer who was washing the truck and camper ( I think it was a Bigfoot camper) from the last trip to Inuvik.
We must have talked and drank coffee for over an hour. That year was his second trip with his family in tow, he also had some great stories of being an RCMP up north.
Soup.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Sue.

I did this trip in 2005 in a diesel truck camper, also in October. Spent 10/1/05 at the Little Salmon Lake campground. Ran into 4 RCMPs who were moose hunting. Had a great time listening to their stories about remote policing in the Yukon and NWT.

Had 10 gals of fuel in storage and this was the only time I had to use it. Now we have 100 gal tank and I calculate we need 1/2 of it to get from Carmacks to Watson Lake at a very conservative mpg.

We will be watching the weather intently while we're in Alaska to determine when we need to leave and then before we make the decision on route south.

This will probably be my last trip to Alaska so can't wait for August to start out.

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
2016 Ford Expedition

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to check the conditions of the highway before heading out on it. Snow can fly then and because it is a remote highway between Ross River and Watson Lake, it may not be cleared or driveable.
And you know there isn't a gas station between Ross River and Watson Lake. Sometimes the Ross River station is out of fuel and in Faro, the digital system was out of order when we were there once so fuel could not be pumped. So we always carry some fuel with us when travelling the Campbell Highway.
sue t.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Sue.

We will hopefully be making the Campbell Highway trip in early October.

Chris
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
2016 Ford Expedition

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my photos of the route on various years and months
http://yukonsights.ca/CampbellHwy.html

The Yukon government campgrounds along the Frenchman Tatchun road are some of our favorites in Yukon.
http://suethomas.ca/20080701_FrenchmanLake.html

One of our favorite campsites at Frenchman Lake
sue t.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Murray. This is huge help. When I traveled this road in 2005, I was by myself (well my dog was with me) and therefore I didn't take a lot of pictures. This was also early October and the weather was great. We'll be checking it frequently and will decide at Carmacks whether we try it.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
2016 Ford Expedition

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my Campbell Highway Road Log from July 2018, with almost 100 photos. Even in my Class A I would do it again, but it's not a road to be in a hurry on. Early October, though, can be Early Winter, so I'd sure check the weather carefully.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I imagine weather will be the deciding factor. A nice dry gravel road can turn into a gooey mess with rain. We have done the TOW 4 times now however we have been extremely lucky in having a dry road every time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Look up posts from Sue.t exlporenorth on RVnet both of them live in the Yukon.
As well check this and other official Yukon sites for the latest info.
Yukon info

Soup.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
There's some good information and advice in this recent thread.

Personally, I would love to travel the Campbell highway, but would give it very much thought and consideration and enquire locally about conditions before taking a motorhome down it...and I am not generally scared about going on imperfect roads, such as the Dalton Highway all the way up to Deadhorse or the Taylor to Eagle.