Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

JackKnife Sofa, Back Webbing is broken.

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

I have a 2007 Jayco that has a JackKnife sofa in the raised slide.

The webbing(would be springs, if not build so cheap) is all busted. The webbing actually looks like and is probably the same banding stuff used to bundle large boxes and boxes of paper. You know, the white plastic bands you have to cut.

The slide box is the riser for the sofa.

Has anyone had one of these repaired? I can do it myself, but I have not figured out where I can get tools / material to fix the bands. I'm open to a different method than factory, as it looks not built to last at all.

Trailer is a 2007 29BHS Jayco.

Thanks, for any help.

Robert Wynkoop
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.
8 REPLIES 8

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:

I used huge zip ties, 2 hooked end to end were long enough.

This is not a bad idea also, especially since this is only for the back upright support. The bottom of my sofa, has actual spring wire.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help.

I'm going to use this shipping strap kit from Amazon:
Shipping kit on Amazon

I'm also going to get some hog ties, in case I have to take the upholstery off.

Robert Wynkoop
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:

The trick is getting the new banding installed. I stapled the ends of the old and new together and just pulled the new banding in

Oh, that is a good trick. I might try pulling the new stuff in that way.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same one, factory bands broke right away.

I used huge zip ties, 2 hooked end to end were long enough. I ended up sliding some luan under the foam though because I still felt all the "holes" between the straps when I sat on it.

The luan helped a lot.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The (white) banding we bought was slightly thicker. You can see in this photo how far apart the banding is. Adding more banding would probably the way to go. I think wide webbing may not fit in there.

The trick is getting the new banding installed. I stapled the ends of the old and new together and just pulled the new banding in (2nd photo).

JBledsoe
Explorer
Explorer

Would cloth webbing be a better choice? I think cloth webbing would last much longer than plastic webbing.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I found quite a lot on Amazon and put in "plastic webbing banding". It brought up the webbing and the clips.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huh.. We had the same thing happen to ours! You can buy plastic banding and plastic clips to secure the banding. Can't remember where we got ours for sure, but I think it was a packaging & shipping depot. The banding wraps through the clips and when the banding is pulled tight, it stays secure. Quite easy to do. Only tool needed is scissors to cut the banding.

The Lippert jacknife sofas are junk, junk, junk. We replaced ours with a new high quality double recliner. I just could not believe how poorly these things are put together. It looked like new but we almost gave it away on CL because nobody wanted it.