Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Antenna
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
farmingdad

ky

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a 2011 mountain aire an the crank up antenna won’t work. The booster light comes on but the antenna don’t have any power going through it. Can’t get any channels

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/19 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

probably a bad coax cable
power and signal go thru the same coax cable
could be a loose or corroded end connector
or the cable broke inside

for testing, get another cable connect to the antenna , bring it thru the window and connect to TV or the amp switch box/wall plate

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 03:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

farmingdad wrote:

I got a 2011 mountain aire an the crank up antenna won’t work. The booster light comes on but the antenna don’t have any power going through it. Can’t get any channels

Good to see your still out there...been a while since you’ve had a problem. Are you saying you checked for 12V on the coax at the antenna? If so, run a cable out the window as Mr W suggested. If not, then check for power at the antenna being careful not to short between the center wires and the nut. If power there, turn it off (push the button inside) and clean the center wire as rust is an insulator.

I spent a lot of time trying to get mine to work and all that was needed was cleaning the wire at the antenna even though I had 12V there. Clean the connection at the base of the antenna too.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will guess that you have had channels in the past. Make sure your TV is still set to receive OTA signals, maybe some how it got changed to cable. I doubt it but maybe the cable has come loose from where it screws onto the antenna.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

farmingdad wrote:

How do you know that the antenna has no power? Have you checked for 12V at end of the coax on the roof where it enters the antenna? If there is no power there, the antenna is not the problem. If no power is available on the roof then you should start the trouble-shooting process by taking a new coax cable and plug it into the Winegard and run it directly to the power supply. This should get everything working and you will have to trace down the existing wiring and repair or replace it.
If this does not fix everything you need to consider a few things before you replace the antenna. Has this setup ever worked? Do you have new digital flat screen TV's? Have these TV's been replaced or any possibility that any wiring was removed, relocated? Are you sure that the power supply is working properly and those cables have not been moved around?

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two options.. IF you are the original owner only one

Bad coax The coax likely runs in two runs. From the box with the light that comes on to the roof. and from the roof to the antenna.. ON MY RV doing routine roof maintenance I tore up the connection in the roof (It was kind of nasty anyway since moisture had gotten to it and rust happens.. I put on new ends and a new barrel connector (Double female) sealed it up to water proof (I do that real good) and .. i'm watching Recorded OTA TV from about 45 miles out as I type.

But if you have no power to the head. that's suspect 1 2 and 3

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

farmingdad

ky

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea I checked an no power at end of cable.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To check the power output of the amp, just insert the end of a jumbo paperclip in the set one F connector and touch the positive lead of you DMM to the paperclip and the negative lead to the threaded portion. If you have power there start looking for the ends of the cables. I have two pieces, one from the power supply to the antenna and it is in the area between the ceiling and roof, one that connects to the antenna.

Sometimes that one in the ceiling is a bear to get to.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

farmingdad wrote:

Yea I checked an no power at end of cable.

OK, so start at the power supply to ensure it is putting out 12V and if that's working run the new coax to confirm the antenna is OK.

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dupe post

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS