Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Antenna
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you check the fuse on the backside of the panel? On my booster, there is a fuse

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If light on fuse good.. He did say light on.

I do agree there can be another issue with the power supply/switch unit (Wall unit)

But I'm going with the roof connection as the problem child. I've seen this twice in my travels (once on my own RV) and both times.. that was it.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen bad cabling many times. I have also seen the power light on and the wall plate not putting out any power.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/19 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though unlike BIll I've never seen the wall plate not put out power.... I've only worked on 2 RV's with this problem and both of 'em was bad cabling.

I DO know however it is possible for the light to be on.. the fuse to be good. and a DIFFERENT part of the wall plate assembly to go diodes up and not put out power.. I've seen that on so much other hardware.. So I support BILL's comment

OR he mine. take your pick we are in total agreement.

THe one thing many do not see is the roof conneciton. ON Some RV's it sticks up under a mountain of caulk. On mine it was buried under a cover and not visible. I knew it was there so I dug it out and replaced/repaired as needed (And as of 7:30 this AM it was working) (I'm watching DVRed tv now) . The other RV I worked on was a Sticks up under caulk kind. that one it was either the lower connection (which I was not willing to dig down to) or the wall cable. I got 'em TV by running a cable out the window to the antenna for their stay and when they headed out they stopped by a shop and they replaced the in-wall cable. ONly time I've ever heard of that cable going bad (And I've strung miles of coax over the years)

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to replace the booster in our MH. I was lucky and found an exact replacement.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most common problem with a Winegard antenna more than 5 years old is the Coax F-59 at both the antenna wing and the junction splice just below the antenna mount plate----rust corrosion has corroded the coax wire. This does not cause a short that would trip the booster LED light to go off or blow the fuse. ALWAYS check these 2 connections first. The splice in the ceiling cavity where the antenna wire goes thru the mount plate can usually be accessed inside by removing the crank directional assbly. If you have a coax that does NOT go thru the antenna mount plate hole and you have a square metal plate in the roof next to the antenna, corrosion is almost certain. Doug

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olfarmer wrote:

I had to replace the booster in our MH. I was lucky and found an exact replacement.

Not luck and you made a bad choice.. they only make about 4 versions of that

1: Standard has been in use for a long. logn time. has 3 coax on back one on front
2: 3-TV type. has a 4th coax on back
3: "Remote" (this has only two coax fittings. in and out and is designed to be used with a remote switch. IT DOES NOt select cable when off. techincal name is ower inserter

Sensar PRO that's the new one. and that's what you should use as your replacement if you have to replace it

OH and with the exception of the Sensar Pro IT IS NOT A BOOSTER.. Just a power supply and coax switch and splitter.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to see anyone saying you made a bad choice OlFarmer! You did not make a bad choice, you just made a choice. It's likely you didn't even know about the Sensar Pro in the first place. Secondly, the replacement wall plate cost around $15 and a Sensar Pro costs around $100. You did nothing wrong and you did not make a bad choice.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

1: Standard has been in use for a long. logn time. has 3 coax on back one on front
2: 3-TV type. has a 4th coax on back
3: "Remote" (this has only two coax fittings. in and out and is designed to be used with a remote switch. IT DOES NOt select cable when off. techincal name is ower inserter

Sensar PRO that's the new one. and that's what you should use as your replacement if you have to replace it

4th configuration: My Antenna power supply is built in to my BOMB.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

4th configuration: My Antenna power supply is built in to my BOMB.

So was Mine.. but the Sensar Pro goes between the BOMB and the antenna. it is specifically designed to IGNORE the power from the BOMB and work (not all pre-amps are)

YOu can not believe the difference it makes in some campgrounds.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS