cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New England trip report - Fall 2015

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
My family has made many trips out West but our last long trip together was somewhere entirely different, New England. My husband and I met up with Dad in New Jersey where we visited with a relative then the three of us (me, DH, and Dad) traveled up to Maine where we met up with Kohldad and his wife. Iโ€™m going to pick this report up on Day 5 of our trip as we enter southeast Maine and feed it to you a little bit at a time ๐Ÿ™‚ Iโ€™ll update the thread title each time I add a section so youโ€™ll know when to look for the next segment.

SEP 29

After a full day of driving, we were happy to reach Maine and meet up with Kohldad. The day was late and a light rain was falling so we were happy to settle in at Winslow Memorial Park and Campground on Casco Bay just south of Freeport. Just 23 of the campgroundโ€™s 100 sites are on the bay but they werenโ€™t busy so we were able to park with our door just steps from the bay. Dad prefers campgrounds with hookups but even he had to admit it was worth forgoing electric to enjoy the beautiful view just outside our door.

SEP 30

The next morning we were ready to tour Freeport despite the rain. And what rain it was! The forecast was calling for half a foot of rain! We were traveling in the fall, a little late for hurricanes or even tropical storms; the weathermen were calling this an extratropical storm. It had caused widespread flooding in South Carolina before moving up the coast to Maine and had poured an inch of water into Dadโ€™s basement due to a clogged gutter drain. But he wouldnโ€™t know that until he got home two weeks later. Luckily itโ€™s an unfinished basement mostly used for storage.

Our first stop was the DeLorme Map Store where we marveled at Bertha, the worldโ€™s largest rotating globe. Thatโ€™s Dad and Kohldad at the base of the globe. The rotation device for the globe is surprisingly small. We enjoyed browsing through the maps in the store and bought a few things before making a dash back to the vehicles.

Leaving the DeLorme store, we drove through the continuing downpour into Freeport. We parked in an RV lot at the bottom of the hill and the others dashed through the rain into some stores. Meanwhile Iโ€™d stepped over to the sidewalk where I was splashed by a passing car so back into my camper I went to put on some dry clothes before rejoining the others. The big draw at Freeport, of course, is the huge LL Bean store. It was interesting to see but we werenโ€™t big spenders.

We found the rain had let up some when we left the store so we walked down Main Street a bit. A huge donut sign caught our eye then we saw the smaller sign for the Harrington House, a 19th century structure that now houses a small but free museum. Its main focus was on the townโ€™s historic shoe industry which predates the LL Bean store. Worth taking a look if you visit Freeport.

After one last look down the wet streets of Freeport, we headed back to the RV parking lot. Uh oh! Guess where all that runoff went! We found stormwater drainage had flooded the lot where weโ€™d parked the campers. It wasnโ€™t deep enough to cause any damage though and had receded enough to allow us to get to our vehicles.

We didnโ€™t have far to go to our stop for the night, Recompense Shore Campground at Wolfeโ€™s Neck Farm, just east of Freeport and again on Cosco Bay. This is a non-profit demonstration farm dedicated to promoting sustainable agriculture. Revenue from the campground helps support the farmโ€™s activities. The camping facilities were average but quiet and it was nice to be able to walk around the farm and along the bay.

Hey, look, the rain has finally stopped! We got a glimpse of blue sky shortly before sunset.

To be continued โ€ฆ
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads
34 REPLIES 34

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
You're welcome 54suds. You have a really nice back yard. And I'm sure we just scratched the surface!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for a wonderful report it refreshed the way I see my wonderful back yard
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Kohldad corrected my memory on one thing. After visiting Mount Washington we stayed not in the White Mtn NF at Jigger Johnson CG but at the Twin Mtn NF at Sugarloaf I CG. Correction made!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
OCT 9

We awoke to the sound of rain drumming on the roof of our camper. Luckily our plans for the day wouldnโ€™t be ruined by inclement weather. But first I wanted to check out a covered bridge in the park. If you look closely you can see the rain was coming down so we didnโ€™t tarry long outside though.

Returning to the rigs, we packed up and drove south on County Road 31 which followed along the east side of Otsego Lake. At the south end of the lake is the city of Coopertown NY. Iโ€™d planned this stop for my DH, a baseball aficionado.

I dropped him off at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum then Dad and I drove up the west side of the lake to a parking area which was serviced by shuttles which ran into town. I guess during the summer it might be advantageous to use these facilities but on this wet fall day traffic wasnโ€™t a problem and the parking lot was nearly empty. Dad and I enjoyed some quiet time as we piddled in our campers, lulled by the steady drizzle on the roofs.

The DH enjoyed the museum and even snapped a few pictures. His favorite team is the Atlanta Braves so of course he made sure he got some of their memorabilia.

After browsing through the museum, he braved the rain to walk to Doubleday Field.

When heโ€™d seen all he wanted to see, Dad and I met him in town and we found a place to eat lunch. At the south end of Otsega Lake was a harbor and the Lakeview Restaurant. The food was good and so was the view, even with the low clouds.

With our appetites sated, we continued our travels towards home taking County Route 28 down to I-88. We were able to catch some glimpses of fall colors and the countryside through the rain and clouds.

At Binghamton NY we caught I-81 south and crossed into Pennsylvania.

When we stopped for a break, I switched vehicles and rode with Dad for a while. We had rain and clouds all the way. Toward evening, we caught a few glimpses of the sun through the clouds. Time to find a place to stop for the night.

OCT 10

Weโ€™d picked Locust Lake State Park near Mahoney City, PA, for our stop the previous night. While this is a small lake, the hilly shoreline provided a beautiful backdrop of fall color as the sun rose. I took a morning walk, enjoying the scenery, before we prepared to depart.

I practiced my editing technique with three photos to make this panorama. It came out pretty good if I may say so myself!

The night before, Dad had come over to our camper very excited. Heโ€™d noticed an attraction nearby heโ€™d visited as a kid. So we made a short detour down US 209 south to State Route 61 south. Iโ€™d noticed homes in this area were sited close to the road even in the small towns. I couldnโ€™t help but wonder if that was to minimize snow removal during the winter.

Another fuel stop. Diesel prices had been higher in the northeast than back in Tennessee but at least weโ€™d had no problems finding it.

State Route 61 crossed I-78 one exit east of our destination so we had the pleasure of seeing an advertising sign for the attraction along the interstate. Then it was just a short drive down a frontage road to a nondescript building I probably would have passed by without a thought.

Inside, we bought our tickets and passed this sign to see what awaited us.

And what lay inside was a sight to see, a model railroad town covering around 6,000 square feet. The display was created by Laurence T. Gierenger who crafted the miniature items by hand until he passed away in 1963. Of course just looking at model trains would never be enough to keep little tykes interested so Gierenger set the display up with lots of buttons which they can push to run different parts of the display. Then every half hour night falls over the town, patriotic music plays, and a patriotic show of Americana is projected on the wall, then daylight returns. The display has been kept the same since the early 1960s so we were looking at the same scene Dad saw when he was a kid. It was nice to see something that has survived unchanged for 60+ years.

Of course thereโ€™s a gift shop as well and it has a good variety of old style toys and souvenirs for sell. I read recently that the aging ownersโ€™ children arenโ€™t interested in running the facility so theyโ€™ve put it up for sale. Theyโ€™re hopeful a buyer can be found who will continue to preserve this piece of Americana.

Leaving Roadside America, we took I-78 west to I-81 south. I-81 took us across the rest of Pennsylvania, through Western Maryland, through the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, and into Virginia. The slow pace weโ€™d taken the last week or so was over and we were putting in some steady driving. But we werenโ€™t going to make it all the way this day. We stopped just north of Stanton VA at the Shenandoah Valley Campground. Itโ€™s located a few miles west of the interstate on the Middle River and has a good amount of acreage but the sites are crowded together next to the river. We were only staying the night though so we were happy to find two adjoining sites on the river were still available. When we got to the sites we saw why they were still open, they were very short. But truck campers donโ€™t need much room!

The campground has a number of amenities and was celebrating fall with a hay ride. Nevertheless, Iโ€™d consider it an ordinary commercial campground if it werenโ€™t for one thing โ€ฆ its resident herd of free-ranging pet rabbits. There were about two dozen of them grazing in the grassy areas and wandering amongst the camp sites. Cute!

We slept to the sound of the creek running just steps from our back door. The next morning the clouds and rain were gone, replaced with clear blue skies. This was the day we were to split up, Dad heading for SC and us heading for TN. Dad packed up early and was soon on his way.

The DH and I walked around the campground. We found the primitive camping area was less crowded than the developed camping area so weโ€™d probably opt to stay there if we ever returned. There was also a beautiful waterfall across the river from the primitive camping area.

I couldnโ€™t resist a few more pictures of the bunnies as well. There was a pair of rabbits that were particularly interesting. One was an older rabbit and possibly blind. The other, a younger rabbit, stayed close to the older rabbit, frequently nuzzling it and eating alongside it. A loving pair, possibly mother and daughter.

Then we were on our way too. This was our last day on the road. Our trip was over. I look forward to going back sometime and to making it all the way up to the Bay of Fundy and beyond.

THE END
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
And the gorgeous pics continue, Goin. Man what a fabulous excursion. Lovin it!
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
OCT 8

Our trip was winding down but there were a couple more destinations I had in mind: one for me and one for my DH. Just a few miles north of Lake Dunmore was Middlebury VT and another few miles north of that was the stop Iโ€™d planned just for me, the University of Vermontโ€™s Morgan Horse Farm.

Along the way was another iconic attraction of the area, a covered bridge. This one is the Pulp Mill covered bridge. Since it has two lanes of traffic I thought maybe it wasnโ€™t old but I was wrong. When I went to the website listed on a plaque on the bridge I found it is actually one of the oldest covered bridges in Vermont having been built sometime around 1820. And itโ€™s still structurally sound enough for regular use!

Otter Creek which flows under the bridge isnโ€™t a rushing river but more of a lake instead and just downstream we saw why. There was a dam. Dad likes to call me his dam engineer so of course I had to check it out. It turned out the dam we saw is part of a larger system that has provided power for over 200 years. The part we saw is indicated by the yellow arrow on the Trail Map. While such dams do take an environmental toll, they also provide clean energy. From what I read on the plaque, the current owners of the dam are operating it to provide some overflow which lessens adverse environmental effects and improves aesthetics.

A few minutes down the road was our main destination for the day, the Morgan Horse Farm. As a horse lover, I was eager to see the place. This early American breed is founded on a single horse, a sturdy bay stallion named Figure. Figure was born in 1789 and was obtained by a man named Justin Morgan in 1792. Known as the Morgan Horse, Figure sired horses with his fine looks and qualities and these foals in turn passed on those characteristics. His descendants excelled at many tasks such as plow horses, carriage horses, saddle horses, and even race horses. Recognizing the quality of Figureโ€™s progeny, the U.S. Government established a cavalry horse breeding facility in 1905 to preserve and further what became the Morgan breed. And of course this farm was in Vermont, the home state of Figure. It moved to this site near Middlebury in 1907.

This statue of Figure resembles that of a Quarter Horse, the most common breed in the U.S. by far. Not surprising since Morgan horses helped establish this other American breed. Many modern Morgans are bred to be taller and lankier, more like a Saddlebred (another breed the Morgan helped to establish), but there is still a branch of the breed which adheres to this old โ€œgovernmentโ€ style and this is the type Morgan I most admire.

As motorized vehicles replaced cavalry horses in the US Army, the need to breed better cavalry horses declined and in 1951 the Morgan Horse Farm was turned over to the University of Vermont. The University maintains a herd of about 40 Morgans for both breeding and education purposes. Keeping horses isnโ€™t cheap so, to help raise money, there is a small fee to visit the farm and the University raffles off a colt every year. We bought a ticket but luckily didnโ€™t win as thereโ€™s no such thing as a โ€œfreeโ€ horse. They have to be housed and fed, trained and exercised, and given farrier and veterinary care, none of which is โ€œfreeโ€ or even cheap. Been there, done that! But now I get my horse fix at the local horse rescue which leaves me free to travel when I can get off work.

The timing of our arrival was perfect as while we were reading the historical sign and admiring the statue of Figure, part of the crew came out leading the raffle colt and his dam from the barn to a pasture. The youngster was ready to go and took off running as soon as he was realeased.

Then, with his pent-up energy expended, he checked in with his dam before settling down to graze by her side.

With the show over, it was time to explore the 100+ year old barn.

Hmmm, looks like they have a problem with above ground termites on the farm.

Hey, I think I found one! There were several yearlings in this pen and, with no grass to graze on, they evidently occupied themselves with a little fence chewing.

Nearby another building identified as the Remount Barn now houses mares and foals. We didnโ€™t see any mares but there were a couple foals making the most of the grass while it lasted. With freezing weather and snow not far off it wouldnโ€™t be long before their diet would be all hay and grain.

Returning to the main barn, we saw a rider exercising one of the Morgans. What a beautiful horse! My family owned a horse that was said to be a Morgan and he looked similar.

When the rider was through she dismounted, led her horse to the barn, and disappeared through the door on the left. Hey, whereโ€™d they go? A closer look showed beyond the doorway is a ramp that makes a U-turn and goes down a lower level where weโ€™d seen more stalls. Neat!

A quick picture with our campers (behind the bushes at the left) at the Morgan Horse Farm then we were back on our way.

The Vermont countryside along County Route 125 was beautiful.

Of course some of the scenery wasnโ€™t so nice. Rednecks arenโ€™t confined to the south. But the beautiful sights far outweighed the not so beautiful sights.

I snapped the picture below of a little one-room schoolhouse where County Road 125 crosses State Route 22A, at the community of Bridport. It wasnโ€™t until I was writing up this report though that I learned its story. Turns out the Connor family who lives across the street purchased the property. One wall of the building had been removed and it was being used as a shed. The Connorโ€™s restored the Hathorne Schoolhouse and keep it open 24/7. So if you pass by stop in and check it out. The Connors keep an eye on the place and will come over to give you a guided tour as I learned from this news story on the place.

Coming up to State Route 17 we found ourselves driving alongside the lower end of Lake Champlain. We could see the bridge weโ€™d be taking over the lake as we passed out of Vermont.

The beautiful countryside continued on into the state of New York along State Route 9N.

This road follows along the west bank of Lake George. We stopped for lunch at the Hague Town Park Visitor Center. After eating, we perused the visitor centerโ€™s offerings and took a short stroll down to the lakeshore. One of the boats moored to a wharf was a fire department boat. Iโ€™ll bet its fast! The lake area was beautiful.

At Hague we turned west on State Route 8 where even more beautiful scenery awaited.

I take lots of photos enroute and while some are nice, many others donโ€™t come out so nice, particularly when theyโ€™re blurred by the motion of our travel. But once in a while that motion actually enhances a photo. Like the effect it lends to this photo of a pond surrounded by brilliant fall foliage.

Sometimes, while putting together an album of a trip weโ€™ve taken, Iโ€™ll come across a photo Iโ€™ve taken enroute that intrigues me into searching the wonderful web to find out more. Like the photo earlier of the Hathorne Schoolhouse. But sometimes the story behind the photo will forever remain a mystery, like why in the world is there a giant rubber ducky in the middle of this pond? Ah, not this time! With some sleuthing I was able to determine this was Brant Lake NY and they hold an annual rubber duck race in early October. Mystery solved โ€ฆ this time!

More scenery along State Route 8.

After passing under I-87, we came to a 12-mile stretch where State Route 8 follows along the southeast side of the Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area and the East Branch of the Sacandaga River. Just as the road leaves the wilderness area it crosses where the East Branch and West Branch join together.

Along a short stretch between Wells and Speculator, State Route 8 is joined by State Route 30. While road signs arenโ€™t always the most scenic thing to photograph, they do help me to figure out where my photos were taken. It was this one that helped me figure out the Brant Lake photo. A virtual drive-by on Google maps confirmed it, albeit minus the giant rubber duck. We turned left here, taking us south on State Route 30.

On State Route 30 we continued winding through forest-cloaked hills, rock-strewn rivers, and idyllic lakes.

We crossed over I-90 and continued on to State Route 20 where we turned east. The land was more open along this stretch of the road which was mostly duel-lane. It had been a long time since weโ€™d been on such a wide road and had such a long-distance view.

We stopped for the night at Glimmerglass State Park. The campground is a short distance from Otsego Lake. The sun was nearing the horizon as we settled into our site. So I grabbed my camera and a flashlight and jogged the trail to the parkโ€™s beach area, arriving just in time for the sunset. The flashlight came in handy as I navigated my way back to the camper and supper.

To be continued โ€ฆ
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Clarryhill, it was a good time to visit the Northeast. We were told the fall colors were poor that year but we enjoyed what we did see.
Glad you're are enjoying the trip report, c.traveler2. It's payback for the wonderful trip reports you post.
You have a grand back yard, ticki2. If you make it to our back yard send me a PM for local info and maybe even a meet up.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
You have been all over my "back yard". Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did . Would like to see yours someday . Thanks for taking the time to post the TR .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful journey.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
What an absolutely fabulous time of year for the trip, Goin. Those pics are showcasing this region at its finest. Really enjoying riding along.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your comments! Now continuing the story ...

OCT 7

Our 13th day on the road dawned nice and sunny, allowing us to appreciate the beautiful fall colors weโ€™d missed when we arrived late the evening before. I walked around the campground and, although the sites on the back side of the loop were near a creek, that was also where all the other campers were crowded so I was glad weโ€™d picked out sites at the front where we had the place to ourselves.

When we left, Kohldad and his DW split off on their own again to go visit Niagara Falls. Dad, the DH, and I made our way back to US 302 West and followed it out of the Twin Mountain National Forest. A short distance outside the forest we passed through Bethlehem NH. The name of the town caught my attention first then we came upon a sight that had us hitting our breaks and pulling into a parking lot. The front of the Indian Brook Trading Post was decorated with several large welded scrap metal statues. They were fantastic pieces of ingenuity which had us posing with them like the tourists that we were. Inside the store we could see more interesting pieces but, alas, it was closed.

Back on the road again and still on US 302, we passed into Vermont.

We passed through Montpelier and cut off on a side road. One canโ€™t go to Vermont without stopping in at one of its many maple syrup makers!

Morse Farm is located in a beautiful area of rolling countryside. A number of tractors were on display, some old and some not so old.

Can you spot the โ€œtour guideโ€ in this photo pointing out the entrance? Look in the upper left corner of the stacked wood wall.

Inside the โ€œtheaterโ€ we watched a show on the history and how-to of maple syrup. In one window of the theater were samples of syrup. They looked rich with the sunlight streaming through them.

Someone here has an active imagination and an artistโ€™s eye.

Of course we purchased some syrup and a few other items from the farmโ€™s store before moving on. Jumping onto I-89, we traveled a whole 13 miles before exiting at Waterbury to visit the Ben & Jerryโ€™s ice cream factory.

We took the 30 minute tour, sampled a few of the new varieties, then left the crowd behind.

From Waterbury we traveled south on Hwy 100. At Hancock we turned west on Hwy 12 and passed through the Green Mountain National Forest. On the other side we turned south on Hwy 7 to Lake Dunmore and Waterhouses Campground and Marina on the west side of the lake. We would have stayed at Branbury State Park on the east side of the lake but it closed on Columbus Day. That was OK as we found the Marina had a good restaurant where we ate supper. Another pleasant day on the road!

To be continued โ€ฆ
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Goin, fabulous trip it continues to be. Lovin it!
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice photos of the Mt Washington area and train ride! We've been up the mountain twice but never on the railway.

Our first trip we had to take one of the visitor vans as duallys not allowed. Second trip we had family in the general area so DW, myself and several grandkids went up in their van. One grand daughter was afraid of heights and lay in the back seat on the trip up and down.:B

Enjoying your trip report. Keep it up!
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
You were fortunate to be able to ride on the newer diesel locomotives. We took the cog when they only had the coal burning steam engines and when they started the big climb the passenger cars filled with smoke and hot cinders!:E