Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Bike Hauling Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Bike Hauling Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got the kind that lets you take the front wheel off in about 10 seconds. When we had a tent camper we put the bikes inside it. With a trailer we put them in back of the third row seat. They lay flat with the front wheel off, put it on the bed.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stand ours up on the back wheel and take it inside the trailer. Easy as that. Just lean it onto a blanket. No worries

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

put down a thick old blanket for cushioning and lay it down inside the trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used a Yakima Beddy Jo for many years for my road bikes. I cover them on longer trips.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

We got the kind that lets you take the front wheel off in about 10 seconds. When we had a tent camper we put the bikes inside it. With a trailer we put them in back of the third row seat. They lay flat with the front wheel off, put it on the bed.

Mine has quick release wheels, so I remove the front wheel, allowing the handle bars to turn sideways, and just put it in the back seat, with the seats tipped up. My pedals come off easily too, so I remove them so they don't get caught, while putting the bike in/out.

Jerry

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Art,

It would help if you told us more about the "bike".
We carry our pair of bikes inside the coach. While they may be in the way at bed time, they are safe and clean.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As someone who has been an avid cyclist all my life and owned several expensive road/mountain bikes, I would NEVER strap my bike to the outside of my RV, . . . ever. My current bike stays inside and goes where I sleep when I'm not sleeping there. Covered, on the bed, out of sight, out of mind. Here's why.

IMO, America is filled with people who have substance abuse issues. An expensive bicycle is one of the best solutions to their problem. Think about it. Walk up and take possession of your bicycle, then ride it directly to their connect. "Hey mister drug dealer, I'm hurting and I don't have any money but I have this nice bike. Can you fix me up?" (your bike immediately goes on Craigslist and sells (probably) that day for 1/4 to 1/2 of its current value) Addict gets high, drug dealer makes way more money than they normally would, you, . . . . . are out of luck. It happens every day. Don't let it happen to you.

If you have a sun baked, beat up $79.95 WalMart clunker, it's usually not an issue because generally, they aren't interested. (not enough money) But, if you have a custom made high dollar bike(s), well, can you say, "Gone in 60 seconds." You are on the road in a location you don't know well. The local thief picked you for exactly that reason. What are you gonna do now? Put your trip on hold and try to find your bike, or, just move on?

Chum lee

* This post was edited 03/04/19 06:18pm by Chum lee *

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to agree with carrying in back seat of truck or on rv bed if ur able to pull front tire. Since its just the 2 of us it takes seconds per bike to remove our front rim and they go in our Ram crew cab back seat. If we have passengers the bikes go in the rv in vapor barrier and on a cheap moving blanket on queen bed. I couldn't imagine leaving a high end bike out in plain view on any type of bike rack.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

As someone who has been an avid cyclist all my life and owned several expensive road/mountain bikes, I would NEVER strap my bike to the outside of my RV, . . . ever. My current bike stays inside and goes where I sleep when I'm not sleeping there. Covered, on the bed, out of sight, out of mind. Here's why.

IMO, America is filled with people who have substance abuse issues. An expensive bicycle is one of the best solutions to their problem. Think about it. Walk up and take possession of your bicycle, then ride it directly to their connect. "Hey mister drug dealer, I'm hurting and I don't have any money but I have this nice bike. Can you fix me up?" (your bike immediately goes on Craigslist and sells (probably) that day for 1/4 to 1/2 of its current value) Addict gets high, drug dealer makes way more money than they normally would, you, . . . . . are out of luck. It happens every day. Don't let it happen to you.

If you have a sun baked, beat up $79.95 WalMart clunker, it's usually not an issue because generally, they aren't interested. (not enough money) But, if you have a custom made high dollar bike(s), well, can you say, "Gone in 60 seconds." You are on the road in a location you don't know well. The local thief picked you for exactly that reason. What are you gonna do now? Put your trip on hold and try to find your bike, or, just move on?

Chum lee

x2!

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee

With you totally on this one brother. I have 4 bikes ranging from $1500-3000 in cost and I would NEVER, EVER just strap them to something outside my camper!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Bike Hauling Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS