Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Pulling A trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Pulling A trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
haste maker

alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the pro's and con's of pulling a trailer with a car loaded on the trailer, or pulling a car with a tow bar.

Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can put almost any car on a trailer and you can back it up. Where do you put the trailer and how do you get it there...a hitch on the car??? OH, pull through only sites. Most end up 4 down after try a trailer or car dolly.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the response I posted on a thread regarding the same issue that ran a couple of days ago:
" We have moved to no longer accepting motorhomes with car trailers/haulers. In addition to the size issues, there are issues with maneuverability. We have had more damage done by the trailers behind motorhomes than any other rig combination. When you attempt to make a reservation with us, you are going to hear that unfortunately sites that would accommodate your rig are currently unavailable."

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/19 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you see that anyone with a very expensive car, always have them in a box trailer car hauler
How much do you value your car?

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the weight of the trailer? Take that amount away from your GCVW

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/19 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our box trailer weighs 3500#, loading our 4300 pound jeep, gives us a total of 7800#Well under the 10,000 max towing weight.
Our coach is 27,000# empty, loaded for a 3 month trip we never load over 2000# of weight, that's water and all.
So... we are 29,000-30,000 plus 7800 places us well under our max total weight of 45,000 pounds.

Box trailers aren't that big of a deal.

badboy368

OHIO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always have....Always will put everything in an enclosed trailer. You can put any car in it...take your grill...take your bicycles, golf cart, lawn chairs etc. with no worries about weather or security. PLUS....and this is a BIG PLUS, brakes are better, and never worry about getting in a spot you cant back up in. I have a 24' enclosed trailer just for traveling and camping, and have never been turned away or had a problem in a campground. And a reasonably priced trailer is not much more that a complete tow bar set up

40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

bjbear

Cold Lake, AB, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

This is the response I posted on a thread regarding the same issue that ran a couple of days ago:
" We have moved to no longer accepting motorhomes with car trailers/haulers. In addition to the size issues, there are issues with maneuverability. We have had more damage done by the trailers behind motorhomes than any other rig combination. When you attempt to make a reservation with us, you are going to hear that unfortunately sites that would accommodate your rig are currently unavailable."

This is one of my big worries.....finding space and managing the parking. I have been thinking of using one of these....

https://parkit360.ca/collections/force-1........cts/trailer-mover-10000lbs-capacity-base

Seems like it would solve a lot of issues.

2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 32ft trailer behind a 45ft Monaco for a few years all over the country and never once got turned away. Same trailer with a 40ft Winnebago and now same trailer with a 36ft Monaco. Trailer is 19 years old now and has probably been towed a million miles with no troubles to speak of either towing or parking----let your conscious be your guide as many on here don't agree with my towing practices.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^ I agree 100%, towing 26' trailer all over North America and no problems.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Pulling A trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS