Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: AUXILiARY FUEL TANK
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> AUXILiARY FUEL TANK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no such thing as a permanent tank installation. It's added and it can be subtracted. I bought my tank for my 02 and I traded that truck with the tank in it for the dually. A week later the salesman called that he had a buyer who didn't want the tank was I interested in it. Buyer came over I took it out and had it back and it cost me my labor and a like new HI-Lift jack that I'd bought at a garage sale for $!5. I had another tank I'd bought used and installed in another truck. I sold that truck after taking the tank out and putting it in my brothers truck

Nicholsfamily05

Brooklyn

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We installed a transfer flow 50 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed of our truck.
It’s great, all computer controlled, fill it and go.
With our 42’ fifth wheel no fun trying to get in and out of gas stations.
We installed it ourselves and was easy. Took our time and all together maybe 6 hours but hubby is picky and hide and took time to make it all clean looking.
Some people complain about loosing bedspace but we don’t carry anything in our bed besides the hitch and our truck is only used for towing so for us made no difference.
Also fits perfectly under the bed cover we use.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

nremtp143

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 01:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added an ATI(Aluminum Tank Indistries) 51 gallon tank to the bed of my truck a while back. I love having the extra fuel as I don't have to stop at JUST truck stops. This gives me a total of 88 gallons of fuel when both are full. It is a gravity fed system and only took about 45 minutes to install. However, I wired in a 12V valve from Valves4projects on Ebay to my upfitter switch so I can choose when I want to add fuel or IF I want to add fuel. Since I already had a toolbox, I wasn't concerned with a bed cover but I did want as much bed space as possible, so my tank is only 9" wide. This is a pic of my setup.
[image]
[image]

2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I am not worried about losing bed space. I have my 5th wheel hitch locked in place. Anyway its to heavy to take out. I won't use the bed for hauling anything. That means I'd have to work, and I don't do that any more.HeHeHe.I like the idea of fueling when I want and probably not having the 5er on the truck. I,m leaning towards a tank 70/90 gal. Grvity flow and I will have it installed. I can't wee well enough to do this kind of work any more.Again, thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about.

Bill
WØWJU
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
2015 Thor Motorcoach Chateau 31W
Toad: 2008 Chevy HHR

NEnative

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a question for everyone. I have tried to find a aux tank made to fit in front of the wheel well, against the indentation of the side rails so the tank will not take any bed space, has anyone ever seen such an animal?

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEnative wrote:

I have a question for everyone. I have tried to find a aux tank made to fit in front of the wheel well, against the indentation of the side rails so the tank will not take any bed space, has anyone ever seen such an animal?

Look for a metal fab shop in your area and see what they would charge to make one for you. It certainly isn't a complicated build

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Auxiliary Fuel Tank. Modified! I have only NEEDED to use it once.

"IF" I were to do anything else I would add the 55 gallon TITAN replacement tank.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If bed space is valuable, consider a wheel well, inside the bed fuel tank from Titan, but it is expensive. Snow Performance sells a methanol/water tank for a lot less. Probably others. I doubt anyone wants to make a sidesaddle fuel tank (forward of the wheel well and outside the frame) since the Chevy lawsuit in the 1990's.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEnative wrote:

Look up side kick fuel tanks.

NEnative

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your help, guys.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> AUXILiARY FUEL TANK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.