Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: AUXILiARY FUEL TANK
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> AUXILiARY FUEL TANK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodworker414 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I am not worried about losing bed space. I have my 5th wheel hitch locked in place. Anyway its to heavy to take out. I won't use the bed for hauling anything. That means I'd have to work, and I don't do that any more.HeHeHe.I like the idea of fueling when I want and probably not having the 5er on the truck. I,m leaning towards a tank 70/90 gal. Grvity flow and I will have it installed. I can't wee well enough to do this kind of work any more.Again, thanks for all the replies. Lots to think about.
With a larger tank don't forget to take the extra weight into consideration. A 36 gallon will add about 250 lbs. and a 90 gallon will add about 630 lbs. You need to figure that in to your payload. That was one of the reasons I went with a 36 gallon tank.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fi12ryder, I have kept weight in my mind. I have my CAT Scale weight sheets in fornt of me. One local company sells a 106 gal. tank. I am not sure I want to go that large. It puts the weight to close to the trucks GVWR. If I do I will still be under that number. Plus It must be golad plated, at the cost they want. I am thinking a 70/90 gal. would be ideal.
Thanks for the reply.
I have thought about the aux. tank for sometime now. It will give us the extra range that we want, so we can do the type travel we want.

Bill
WØWJU
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
2015 Thor Motorcoach Chateau 31W
Toad: 2008 Chevy HHR

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think people should throw a 5 gallon can filled in their tool box and travel that way for a while. THEN decide do I really want to loose the bed space and spend the $$$ to have the tank. Ya need to stop to pee so why not stop and get fuel at the same time?

To save a few $ now and then is NOT worth my time. I use the TruckStops, use the facilities, possibly get something to eat and NEVER worry about getting in or out.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck stops work great, if you don't mind the noise, the crowds, the traffic, the filthy pumps and pump handles, the spilled diesel fuel you have to step in, and possibly not being able to pay-at-the-pump. And while those truck stops are very common on the interstates, the two lane highways may not have them as frequently. That can lead to trying to get the 40' fifth wheel into, and more importantly, out of a too small fuel station.

Nope, I'll stick to transferring fuel at a quiet rest stop. And refueling truck and auxiliary tank after the fifth wheel has been unhooked for the day. Lowers my stress level a whole bunch. [emoticon]

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I think people should throw a 5 gallon can filled in their tool box and travel that way for a while. THEN decide do I really want to loose the bed space and spend the $$$ to have the tank. Ya need to stop to pee so why not stop and get fuel at the same time?

To save a few $ now and then is NOT worth my time. I use the TruckStops, use the facilities, possibly get something to eat and NEVER worry about getting in or out.

Or maybe you should think about listening to those that have gone both ways - that started with just the regular OEM tank, and then switched to an aux tank, since they have experience you do not.

Many if not most of the posters who have an aux tank have now done it on multiple trucks, not just a one-and-done.

You keep bringing up the idea of a 5 gallon tank, which is in no way comparable to being able to drive all day (or multiple days), and only stopping when/where you want to, not worrying about needing to stop at a truck stop.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Truck stops work great, if you don't mind the noise, the crowds, the traffic, the filthy pumps and pump handles, the spilled diesel fuel you have to step in, and possibly not being able to pay-at-the-pump. And while those truck stops are very common on the interstates, the two lane highways may not have them as frequently. That can lead to trying to get the 40' fifth wheel into, and more importantly, out of a too small fuel station.

Nope, I'll stick to transferring fuel at a quiet rest stop. And refueling truck and auxiliary tank after the fifth wheel has been unhooked for the day. Lowers my stress level a whole bunch. [emoticon]

YES that works for YOU and I have ZERO problem with YOUR method you have chosen.

"I" need to PEE on occasion and so does my wife. She LOVES the Truck stop stores especially Love's where she has bought several things.

My wife walks in and tells attendant she wants let's say $125 on pump #12 it gets charged to CC. She proceeds to shop and use the facilities. I proceed to pump when full I call her letting it ring twice letting her know to go finalize the payment. I then pull forward park truck and go inside to PEE or ???

Then we both walk to the truck NOT stinking of diesel or having our feet soaked in diesel or oil. and head directly back to the Highway.

Along the way we will look for how far the Rest areas are and next Fuel stop, no stress we simply get er dun.

Don't have to go anywhere after a long day of towing to fuel my truck, I can simply chill at Camp.

When I Double tow I do exactly the same.

ZERO stress.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok not a pick up, but I carry 300 gallons an I'm constantly on the road us ally can go 5 days between fill ups

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

shepstone

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t be without ours, night and day difference, I like it as much the same as others converting to disk brakes which is also on my to do list.

2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Patriot 16k. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2011 Open Range 337rls
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I my Ram came with a larger OEM tank! I do plan my stops well in advance, but occasionally when we boondock we end up getting to the 1/4 tank mark so I toss in 5 gal from a jerry can. Would much rather have the option of factory ordering a 10-15 gallon larger tank as a buffer. I do have a 26gal water tank under my roll-n-lock so a fuel tank just wont fit in my short bed. When I retire I plan longer drives across Canada and would welcome the ability to not have to fill up every 450 km.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

TimnJo

Eastern Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nremtp143 wrote:

However, I wired in a 12V valve from Valves4projects on Ebay to my upfitter switch

Hi nremtp143,

Which valve did you buy?

I've had an aux tank for some time, half the time we stop for lunch or just a break and I forget to turn the valve on, would like the convenience of not having to stop to open my in-bed valve.

Tim

2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> AUXILiARY FUEL TANK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS