cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone with Good Year G614s G rated can Help?

jts140
Explorer
Explorer

Can anyone who has goodyear g614s see if they are wearing like the photos show. They are 5 years old and not sure why they have these ridges on the inside and outside treads. Have a lot of trips planned this summer and want to be careful.
Thanks

Moderator edit to fix imag URL

42 REPLIES 42

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Fact is the GY โ€œHโ€ tire is regroovable.

"true" BUT...... unfortunately I have been on the receiving end of bad casing, or not done properly, or just plain retread failure driving big rigs for years....

Started running NEW rubber ONLY on the trailers many years ago.... Heat and Weight are not a good combination for casings...

I prefer to run NEW on my RV....

I agree! Most will never wear those tires out over 7 years.

agree.... I have a guy out in Lancaster that builds sheds... He will pay me for my unwanted tires... decent price as well, he delivers sheds and custom makes shed delivering trailers...They will get me cash back when I am done with them anyway... He gave me $800 for my G614's that had shoulder step on them.. ( topic of this thread anyway ! ๐Ÿ™‚

There is a sucker born every day, he could buy new Sailuns cheaper then that, someone needs to clue that poor guy in . :R

Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

"true" BUT...... unfortunately I have been on the receiving end of bad casing, or not done properly, or just plain retread failure driving big rigs for years....

Started running NEW rubber ONLY on the trailers many years ago.... Heat and Weight are not a good combination for casings...

agree.... I have a guy out in Lancaster that builds sheds... He will pay me for my unwanted tires... decent price as well, he delivers sheds and custom makes shed delivering trailers...They will get me cash back when I am done with them anyway... He gave me $800 for my G614's that had shoulder step on them.. ( topic of this thread anyway ! ๐Ÿ™‚
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

califasrams
Explorer
Explorer
Not bad,$300 for for the used GYs!

Yes I plan to post them for sale this weekend. We're still weekend warriors and only use our 5er 20-30 days a year. So it sits in a covered storage with no direct sunlight on the tires. They're in good shape, not much wear and no sidewall cracks. Honestly, I replaced them for my own piece of mind after 4+ years.
Califasrams
2005 Chevy 2500 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2013 Coachmen Brookstone 367L

califasrams
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
califasrams wrote:
We replaced our 5 year old Goodyear G614s today with Sailuns. We also have a busy travel season coming up and even though the 614s still look great I didn't want to take any chances.

I hope you sold them! I sold my GY "G" tires on CL for $300 when I went to GY "H".
Califasrams
2005 Chevy 2500 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2013 Coachmen Brookstone 367L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Thanks Ron...

This is my 5 season on them and hope to get threw till next spring before I think about swapping them out.. That just gives me something else to worry about being a week from your tire troubles..

Perhaps with my being lighter than you, that will help me get by?? .

That is what my GY G614 looked like, but mine tossed the entire tread and stayed aired up..

Honestly I would keep running them 6-7 years if the tires don't look like the pic! Just keep an eye on them. They don't suddenly look like the pic and pop off. I knew about the condition for a while but thought it was normal wear.

This is my first go around with the G114's.... Was hoping that I did not have to follow the 5-6 year tire change from the smaller, cheaper RV Tire... With these being made for commericial use, I would assume they would last longer..

I only have 12,380# on the trailer axles... PLENTY of margin !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Thanks Ron...

This is my 5 season on them and hope to get threw till next spring before I think about swapping them out.. That just gives me something else to worry about being a week from your tire troubles..

That is what my GY G614 looked like, but mine tossed the entire tread and stayed aired up..

Honestly I would keep running them 6-7 years if the tires don't look like the pic! Just keep an eye on them. They don't suddenly look like the pic and pop off. I knew about the condition for a while but thought it was normal wear.

Thanks Ron...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
Received my tires from Amazon and they were all made 9th week of 2019. Took the chance. With Amazons return policy felt it was worth it.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Ron, I had that happen on my G614's.. darn tire was still aired up with no tread on it as I was changing it.. That was 2012.. I lost 2 of the G614's on 1 trip from PA to FL

.. replaced them ALL on the road because the Tire dealer in Darlington SC was awesome.. gave me a killer deal on all

"I BELIEVE there are 0315" Looks like you need to compare pic 3 to your tires.

GY replaced this tire and two others and I paid a pro rated portion. Then 6mo later the 4th one started doing the same and they replaced it for free. The replacement tires have been solid since.

I had heat/visually checked the tires 15 minutes before I noticed pcs flying off. These tires don't blow if they are part of this group of tires made around the same date they simply loose the center section of tread.

Third pic shows what they start looking like before tread loss.

This is the first GY tire issue I have ever had owning several sets of "E" thru "H" and not even a flat.

If your tires start looking like this Contact GY ask for the number of the GY area rep. Talk to him/her and have them set you up an appointment at a GY "OWNED" store!!!!! Otherwise an Independent will bend you over on the tire price so your pro rated portion will be higher than it could be.

Don't learn the hard way like I did!!!

Ron, I had that happen on my G614's.. darn tire was still aired up with no tread on it as I was changing it.. That was 2012.. I lost 2 of the G614's on 1 trip from PA to FL

.. replaced them ALL on the road because the Tire dealer in Darlington SC was awesome.. gave me a killer deal on all
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
Well,, while I agree with the above statement, I kinda like the the way Goodyear stands behind their product in the event of a failure..

That said, my G614's were looking like that and Goodyear told me that was normal tire wear.... The tire guy told me there was nothing wrong with them..

I sold them for $800.00 and put that cash into my Goodyear 114's..

What is the production date on your GY "H" tires?

I BELIEVE there are 0315.... 3rd week 2015....But have to verify,,, may be off a few weeks..

I will check the date on the tire I had the tread come loose.