Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone with Good Year G614s G rated can Help?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Anyone with Good Year G614s G rated can Help?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/19 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, I had that happen on my G614's.. darn tire was still aired up with no tread on it as I was changing it.. That was 2012.. I lost 2 of the G614's on 1 trip from PA to FL

.. replaced them ALL on the road because the Tire dealer in Darlington SC was awesome.. gave me a killer deal on all

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Ron, I had that happen on my G614's.. darn tire was still aired up with no tread on it as I was changing it.. That was 2012.. I lost 2 of the G614's on 1 trip from PA to FL

.. replaced them ALL on the road because the Tire dealer in Darlington SC was awesome.. gave me a killer deal on all

"I BELIEVE there are 0315" Looks like you need to compare pic 3 to your tires.

GY replaced this tire and two others and I paid a pro rated portion. Then 6mo later the 4th one started doing the same and they replaced it for free. The replacement tires have been solid since.

I had heat/visually checked the tires 15 minutes before I noticed pcs flying off. These tires don't blow if they are part of this group of tires made around the same date they simply loose the center section of tread.

Third pic shows what they start looking like before tread loss.

This is the first GY tire issue I have ever had owning several sets of "E" thru "H" and not even a flat.

If your tires start looking like this Contact GY ask for the number of the GY area rep. Talk to him/her and have them set you up an appointment at a GY "OWNED" store!!!!! Otherwise an Independent will bend you over on the tire price so your pro rated portion will be higher than it could be.

Don't learn the hard way like I did!!!

[image]
[image]
[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jts140

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 03:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Received my tires from Amazon and they were all made 9th week of 2019. Took the chance. With Amazons return policy felt it was worth it.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Ron...

This is my 5 season on them and hope to get threw till next spring before I think about swapping them out.. That just gives me something else to worry about being a week from your tire troubles..

Perhaps with my being lighter than you, that will help me get by?? .

That is what my GY G614 looked like, but mine tossed the entire tread and stayed aired up..

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Thanks Ron...

This is my 5 season on them and hope to get threw till next spring before I think about swapping them out.. That just gives me something else to worry about being a week from your tire troubles..

That is what my GY G614 looked like, but mine tossed the entire tread and stayed aired up..

Honestly I would keep running them 6-7 years if the tires don't look like the pic! Just keep an eye on them. They don't suddenly look like the pic and pop off. I knew about the condition for a while but thought it was normal wear.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Thanks Ron...

Honestly I would keep running them 6-7 years if the tires don't look like the pic! Just keep an eye on them. They don't suddenly look like the pic and pop off. I knew about the condition for a while but thought it was normal wear.

This is my first go around with the G114's.... Was hoping that I did not have to follow the 5-6 year tire change from the smaller, cheaper RV Tire... With these being made for commericial use, I would assume they would last longer..

I only have 12,380# on the trailer axles... PLENTY of margin !

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fact is the GY “H” tire is regroovable.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"true" BUT...... unfortunately I have been on the receiving end of bad casing, or not done properly, or just plain retread failure driving big rigs for years....

Started running NEW rubber ONLY on the trailers many years ago.... Heat and Weight are not a good combination for casings...

I prefer to run NEW on my RV....

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"true" BUT...... unfortunately I have been on the receiving end of bad casing, or not done properly, or just plain retread failure driving big rigs for years....

Started running NEW rubber ONLY on the trailers many years ago.... Heat and Weight are not a good combination for casings...

I prefer to run NEW on my RV....

I agree! Most will never wear those tires out over 7 years.

califasrams

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

califasrams wrote:

We replaced our 5 year old Goodyear G614s today with Sailuns. We also have a busy travel season coming up and even though the 614s still look great I didn't want to take any chances.

I hope you sold them! I sold my GY "G" tires on CL for $300 when I went to GY "H".

Califasrams
2005 Chevy 2500 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2013 Coachmen Brookstone 367L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Anyone with Good Year G614s G rated can Help?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.