cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coney Island from Manhattan

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a trip to NYC - staying at Liberty Harbor.

2 questions...

How would you get to Coney Island from Manhattan without a vehicle?

Is Coney Island even worth seeing?

Thanks for any info...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
8 REPLIES 8

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Subway to Coney Island and Free Ferry to Staton Island and back giving you the best close up of Statue of Liberty for photos we personally found ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just sayin'. Worked for us and would do it again.

PS: Don't forget for good financial luck to either, slap the bull's butt, grab his sacs or stroke his horns on wall street. Different beliefs, different people!
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

dedmiston
We took our family there by subway years ago. It was a worthwhile trip, but I wouldn't want to do it after dark. We got to meet a lot of interesting middle-aged Russian men in track suits and lots of other colorful people.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much for the replies! I had no idea the subway went as far as Coney Island. That's great! Just downloaded a pdf subway map and it looks like the way to go. Also looked into ferries, but didn't find anything except a planned one for 2021.

We're gonna do it!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
You can get to Coney Island via the subway system, or at least within a few hundred feet.

I strongly recommend heading to e.g. the Grand Central Station information booth, in the middle of the great hall, and getting a subway system map. It will make navigating the city so much easier. The subway is extensive but not always the most intuitively obvious to decode.

Whether or not it's worth seeing is hard to say without knowing what you think is worth seeing. I personally would consider it a worthwhile trip, but then again I rather like amusement parks and rides, and they often tend to factor into my vacation plans.

X3 to the Subway!
Work took me to NYC many times, any time I was there for more than 3 days I would buy a weekly unlimited pass for about $30+, on and off as many times as you wanted. No traffic issues.
DW went there one day while I was working, said it was a lot of fun.

There is an app "NYC Subway" to your smart phone it has the Subway map as part of the app.

The ferry does sounds interesting.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
You can take the subway from Manhattan to Coney Island.

I think itโ€™s one of those iconic places that is worth seeing once. Plan to eat at the original Nathanโ€™s. If you like baseball, try the Brooklyn Cyclones minor league team. The ballpark has a nice view of the roller coaster.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ferry! We didnโ€™t go but I was told by many people that it is the best way!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You can get to Coney Island via the subway system, or at least within a few hundred feet.

I strongly recommend heading to e.g. the Grand Central Station information booth, in the middle of the great hall, and getting a subway system map. It will make navigating the city so much easier. The subway is extensive but not always the most intuitively obvious to decode.

Whether or not it's worth seeing is hard to say without knowing what you think is worth seeing. I personally would consider it a worthwhile trip, but then again I rather like amusement parks and rides, and they often tend to factor into my vacation plans.

pasusan wrote:
We're planning a trip to NYC - staying at Liberty Harbor.

2 questions...

How would you get to Coney Island from Manhattan without a vehicle?

Is Coney Island even worth seeing?

Thanks for any info...

Cant' speak as to if it's worth seeing.. My only experience with Coney Island is from the movie " The Warriors" back in the day..

I would think Uber may be the best bet, if your not looking to drive.. Coney Island is in Southern Brooklyn I THINK... Not too terribly far from parts of Manhattan...

take 478 to 278 to the belt parkway..Or you can run the Ocean Parkway, but I have never been on that road.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet