cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone replaced their Schwintek slide with a pulley system?

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
For two years we have struggled and had so many problems with our Lippert Schwintek slide that we were wondering if any of you have replaced or had it replaced your Schwintek with the pulley system? I understand that the slide needs to come out of the trailer but looks like a straight forward install. I have found one brand and am wondering if there are others and which system you prefer. Thanks in advance for any help. David
21 REPLIES 21

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ependydad wrote:
laknox wrote:

Same here. Never knew that about syncing the slide drive, though. I certainly don't remember seeing it in the "manual". I'll have to re-check. Do you do that on both out and in, or in only?

Lyle

Both.

Thanks!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Same here. Never knew that about syncing the slide drive, though. I certainly don't remember seeing it in the "manual". I'll have to re-check. Do you do that on both out and in, or in only?

Lyle

I didn't know about it either, until mine got out of sync(slide would shift to one side and get stuck). Then I read the manual. After doing the re-sync procedure all was well again.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Just one more reason I must keep my old 2005 ALL Hydraulic Triple slideout RV.
Yes, the Lippert Pump seal to the tank leaks, but I've only had to top it off once so far..
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
tvfrfireman wrote:
For two years we have struggled and had so many problems with our Lippert Schwintek slide that we were wondering if any of you have replaced or had it replaced your Schwintek with the pulley system? I understand that the slide needs to come out of the trailer but looks like a straight forward install. I have found one brand and am wondering if there are others and which system you prefer. Thanks in advance for any help. David

This is another reason I think the Power Gear Electric Slide System is the best, mine is now turning 11 years old and not one issue, its made durable, heavy gears/rails and large motor and no need to sync, not the lite cheap stuff on the Schwintek system.

Sorry to hear the issues you are having OPer, I have heard lots of complaints about that slide system..

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Both.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
wilber1 wrote:
jffnkrn wrote:
We are on our 4th year with the Schwintek in our Reflection, never an issue. Like said above, keep them in sink and you shouldn't have any issues.

So far so good with ours as well.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
We are on our 4th year with the Schwintek in our Reflection, never an issue. Like said above, keep them in sink and you shouldn't have any issues.

So far so good with ours as well.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking that there have been several upgrades to this system since they came out. Maybe chat with the Schwintek people is in order to see what you need to upgrade to the latest version. There doesn't seem to be many complaints about them compared to when they first came out.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
tvfrfireman wrote:

Just in case you don't know, most scwintek issues stem from not holding the switch long enough after the slide motors stop. This extra couple of seconds will allow the motors to sync every time.

Exactly! And don't let ANYONE operate the switch that doesn't know this.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
The cable systems are no better than the Schwintek.
I have spoke with four different dealers around the country and they told me to replace the shcwintek with the pulley system. Could you please let me know if you know someone with an engineering background that could help me with my problem. The repairmen I have contacted refuse to work on the schwintec and they told me that they are under engineered.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
tvfrfireman wrote:

Just in case you don't know, most scwintek issues stem from not holding the switch long enough after the slide motors stop. This extra couple of seconds will allow the motors to sync every time.
I understand this and over the past 2 years spoke with the factory and many repair people who just shake their heads at Schwintec. My problem is way worse than the sync problem. Mine fails monthly. It now walks to one end of the opening and no one can tell me why.
I have called multiple dealers who have said to have the pulley system in. I just can't find out who these mystery people are.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

You have something to back up that statement?

We are full time and I go by the number of problems we see from other campers.

Ken

Same here, I know "one" person that the motor died on their BAL cable system. The system works fine, motors do die.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a fan of the Schwintek slide. I've spoken to RV techs that just hate working on them. A poor design in my opinion. Manufacturers use them to save weight and cost.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

You have something to back up that statement?

We are full time and I go by the number of problems we see from other campers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot