cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide Out Mechanisms

djgarcia2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello...Researching purchase of a new travel trailer for young family. Considering a handful of <30' models with bunks for the boys; Heartland Sundance, Mallard, Wilderness and Shadow Cruiser, Forest River Surveyor and Keystone Bullet.. From what I gather there are three primary slide out types, hydraulic, screw and cable. My question is about the type of mechanism each model above uses; which are less terrible than the others, and which to absolutely avoid? Thanks all! Doug
17 REPLIES 17

djgarcia2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all very much for the input, this has been super helpful, much appreciated!

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
If I had my way, my next camper wouldn’t have a slide. Climbing up onto the roof to hose or sweep it off before bringing it in every time is good exercise but...
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
Rack and pinion is the best IMO

Yep. My next camper will NOT have Schwintek.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Rack and pinion is the best IMO
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
We’ve had three rack and pinion slide trailers. I won’t even consider anything else.

Power gear rack and pinion here also, I think its the best slide system on the market..

They were probably great until bought out by Lippert in 2014. It sometimes takes them a few years to cheapen and re-engineer a product they acquired to meet the business model. That business model is cheapen it to the point of failure shortly after the warranty period, and then overprice proprietary replacement parts by about 300% over what they're actually worth.

Schwintek- If the box itself and the opening are built correctly, and if the racks are installed correctly, and if they're aligned correctly, they're not all that bad. That's a lot of if's, especially in 2019 with the quick shoddy assembly and total lack or any QC or QA in RV factories. They're great for smaller slides such as wardrobe slides. Not so much for a 14' long full height slide with half a kitchen inside it. Think about it. Trying to move hundreds or close to a thousand pounds or more with two electric motors the size of the ones in a Harbor Freight Cordless Drill, and chances are good the motor in the HF drill may be better quality than the ones LCI outsourced. I shouldn't B&M. I've made quite a few bucks repairing Schwintek slides in the last 5 or so years. Probably 75% of the time its an alignment issue or other RV manufacturer install issue like lack of or not enough rollers.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slide out Comparison
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Hard to avoid getting anything without the Lippert/Schwintek style these days. It is actually a reliable system IF the install was done properly although the weaker sidewall construction of TTs (compared to motorized RVs) makes getting one built right a little chancy. With this type of construction, routine maintenance is crucial BUT much easier than on others. YouTube has several good videos, some by the mfg. that show how simple it is. Those who do not lubricate with the recommended CRC Power Lube constitute the majority of those who have issues. These systems had problems with everything in the beginning but are quite reliable now. The nice thing about them is with both a top and bottom gear rack on each side of the slide, the slide is held in place much better going down the road and the need for a piece of broomstick wedged at the top when closed is no longer an issue. Recently the aluminum racks have begun to be replaced with steel ones which should make the mechanism even more durable.
Curious why you say that the majority of those who have issues are the ones that don't lubricate? My technician told me the majority of issues are due to low voltage.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Timtation wrote:
Rack and pinion. When all else fails, get out the crank.

Its easier to pull the pins on both sides, slide the small gear over and push the slide in and than reinstall the pins.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
We’ve had three rack and pinion slide trailers. I won’t even consider anything else.

Power gear rack and pinion here also, I think its the best slide system on the market..

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Rack and pinion. When all else fails, get out the crank.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
mosseater wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Same.

Another vote for the rack and pinion.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:

Same.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
we have the cable system and its about 12 years old. I have replaced some of the cables and done some adjustments, its very easy to work on. I carry a couple spare cables kits and other parts just incase. I could easily change them on the road, the only thing that couldn't be fixed on the road is the motor if you didn't have a spare. you can also move the slide in with battery operated drill and a flex drive to fit your motor.
Jay D.