Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh yeah good stong WIFI is a big attraction, WIFI with good bandwidth will get you atta-boys on CG review sites. Pull thru sites are also very good and make sure the utilities are on the correct side of the RV's. Wrong side will get nasty comments. And the ladies are very particular about restroom cleanliness

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With your user name and plan description, I think I can put forth a pretty good guess as to the location. If I'm right, you could be on to something here as I don't recall much competition anywhere along the interstate in either direction. The one a hundred or so miles north sure seems to be full whenever we pass by.

We tend to camp only on public lands so certainly wouldn't be in your target demographics. However, I'd be interested on your (or anyone's) thoughts on having a separate section that catered to 'through travelers'. By this I mean something for those of us who overnight in rest areas, Walmarts, Cracker Barrels etc. when trying to get from point A to B. It would have to be low cost (Under $15), accessible 24/7 (perhaps a gate with a credit card kiosk similar to what's used at an airport parking lot) with reasonable security (fenced enclosure) but no hookups would be required. Something along the lines of the truck parking area at a rest area would be fine. Dump station with potable water and access to restrooms would be a plus. It seems to me that much of the necessary infrastructure needed for the developed campground would already be in place. Probably a terrible ideas as I've never seen anything like this but I'd be willing to drive fifteen minutes off the interstate for something like this.

Good luck and Go Pack!!!!

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we were heading south to AZ and stayed one night in a wally world. the second night we didn't want to do that again for lack of security. we stayed in a park in Utah about 6 miles off the road and in the dark it was hard to find and when we got there it was a heck of a time getting into the spot as there were trucks parked in the way. I like plenty of maneuvering room and long parking spots so I don't have to disconnect or park in the street and block others. make sure you have good power pedestals and 50 and 30 and 20 amp hook ups good fresh water and and a large sewer system. concrete, no grass as I don't like being woke up by lawn mowers.

Packbacker

Wade

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blownstang01 wrote:

Personally, I have no problem driving 12 miles from the interstate to a CG. However, does that make it 12 miles from the nearest store, fuel station, and how about cell reception ? Things like that do turn me off. I like being away from busy areas, but not a 20 minute drive from basic needs. Good Luck !

There is a nice little country restaurant and a grill in the town. In two different directions on the highway, 10 minutes tops in both directions, there are grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and golf courses. It is also only 5 minutes from a full service Dollar General, former Walmart express.

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 12 minute drive would be of no concern to my wife and I.

Some of the things that would be important to us would be places of interest within a 30 minute drive (historical sites, natural attracts like lakes, state/national parks, unique shopping centers, amusement park, etc.). It might also be helpful to have specific areas in the campground where families with kids and/or pets could be separated from those that don't want the distraction of either. A fire pit and picnic table at each site (nothing fancy but functional) would be nice.

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing that comes to mind, is DO NOT put pictures of just people and kids on your website under the "photos " link. If I click the "photos " link on a campground website, I expect to see pictures Of The campground, campsites, amenities, etc... Not a bunch of kids with face paint, or pics of karaoke night

Proud father of a US Marine

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure the openings for the sewer are as low as possible! Gravity is a wonderful thing.

And when you are thinking about which property to use, think about where you are going to live -- if you will be on site, you probably do not want to be too close to the highway.

Good luck! A well run RV park is always in great demand.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twelve miles with lots of signals and school zones could be 30 minutes. That might be a deal-killer for me if we're just passing through or only staying a couple nights, especially if there's something in town that we wanted to visit during the days.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Packbacker

Wade

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Twelve miles with lots of signals and school zones could be 30 minutes. That might be a deal-killer for me if we're just passing through or only staying a couple nights, especially if there's something in town that we wanted to visit during the days.

The 4 lane highway doesn't go through any school zones and has 2 stop lights between the park location and the interstate. The 12 minute drive includes catching both lights red.

Puttin

Martinez, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tend to camp only on public lands so certainly wouldn't be in your target demographics. However, I'd be interested on your (or anyone's) thoughts on having a separate section that catered to 'through travelers'. By this I mean something for those of us who overnight in rest areas, Walmarts, Cracker Barrels etc. when trying to get from point A to B. It would have to be low cost (Under $15), accessible 24/7 (perhaps a gate with a credit card kiosk similar to what's used at an airport parking lot) with reasonable security (fenced enclosure) but no hookups would be required. Something along the lines of the truck parking area at a rest area would be fine. Dump station with potable water and access to restrooms would be a plus. It seems to me that much of the necessary infrastructure needed for the developed campground would already be in place. Probably a terrible ideas as I've never seen anything like this but I'd be willing to drive fifteen minutes off the interstate for something like this.

I think this is a good idea. You'd have a captive audience over at RV Travel.com. Chuck Woodbury promises a free promotion of your place if it has these types of features for travelers who just need a place to park (without the noise and hassle of Walmart, Cabella's or wherever). Good luck in your venture. We're in the west but I hope someone else does what you're interested out here.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Building New Campground. Opinions Welcome!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.