Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks charging for water use?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > RV Parks charging for water use?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/09/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

socal wrote:

Went to a trailer park Western U.P. Michigan. To use park shower you had to deposit .25cents in the slot for 10 minutes of shower water. 1st I had ever seen a park charging for showers. I won't be going back.


You won't be going back because you paid $.25 for a ten minute shower?

Look at it this way, just figure all the add ons into the nightly rate. And if I don't use something why should I pay for it?

Dan


2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little off topic but I remember in the late 70's/early 80's having to pay .25 to use the restrooms in our local mall. There were no urinals. Only stalls with a coin machine attached to the doors. Now the bathrooms are free to use but no one uses them because no one goes to the mall. Most of the stores are gone.


If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.


2oldman

AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

You won't be going back because you paid $.25 for a ten minute shower?
I've heard of tight budgets, but not *that* tight.

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

A little off topic but I remember in the late 70's/early 80's having to pay .25 to use the restrooms in our local mall. There were no urinals. Only stalls with a coin machine attached to the doors. Now the bathrooms are free to use but no one uses them because no one goes to the mall. Most of the stores are gone.

the restrooms at O'Hare airport in Chicago also used to cost a dime to use.


Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
_________________________________
2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
'46 Willys CJ2A
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

socal

san diego, california, usa

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

socal wrote:

Went to a trailer park Western U.P. Michigan. To use park shower you had to deposit .25cents in the slot for 10 minutes of shower water. 1st I had ever seen a park charging for showers. I won't be going back.


You won't be going back because you paid $.25 for a ten minute shower?

Look at it this way, just figure all the add ons into the nightly rate. And if I don't use something why should I pay for it?

Dan


I don't give a dam about .25 cents I remember a time when you pay for the night, week, or month and there were no additional costs. This park was run very poorly. Also $35 for lake front but not lake front. They lost my business.

socal

san diego, california, usa

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

You won't be going back because you paid $.25 for a ten minute shower?
I've heard of tight budgets, but not *that* tight.


You missed the point.

2oldman

AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

socal wrote:

You missed the point.
Ok, what is the point?

WaterJosh

Tucson, AZ

New Member

Joined: 10/16/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Same amount of water on earth as there has ever been.

counter-intuitive but true. but there are more people chasing that water putting the 1st rule of economics into play. and while the amount of water hasn't changed its location certainly has.


At the risk of taking this off-topic: not true. Most states that are drilling for oil/gas have turned to fracking, which uses/contaminates hundreds-of-thousands to millions of gallons of fresh water, which is put into super-deep disposal wells, well below the water tables that would put it back into the "Water Cycle". These miles-deep disposal wells are what are triggering the earthquakes in OK, for example

So back to the topic at hand: I'm not surprised by a nominal water use charge? One of the things I noticed as a FL condo-owning Snowbird is that our local water utility charges us all kinds of customer fees resulting in monthly costs around $36 even when there's zero use. I can only imagine how they must stick it to the RV parks....


That $36 is what pays for the pipes and the employees to maintain them, aka fixed costs for a water utility. The usage part of the bill is what pays for the water

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

...Cheap water is going away in our overpopulated state...


by what measure is FL overpopulated. 2019 estimate is ~20-million with an estimated growth rate of 1.54%.


Our beautiful springs have a rising Ecoli level and some are closed to swimming.

Drive thru Orlando lately? It’s a driving disaster. Most of the secondary roads are clogged and in poor condition. Meanwhile there are huge cheaply built apartments going up for all the low paying service jobs.

The tourism has lowered the quality of our natural resources for the residents and made going to the beach, camping, restaurants, etc, more expensive crowded and not fun.

I could go on but I won’t.
So Florida is overpopulated. Sounds like a great time for a lottery. Winners get to stay, losers have to move out of the country (other states don't want your losers). Venezuela would be a good destination since their citizens are leaving in droves leaving their ramshackle shacks behind. The Florida losers could help repopulate that worker's paradise.
As for DisneyWorld, Universal Studios and all the other Orlando attractions Montana will gladly take them all along with the millions of tourists that visit. You see, we tend to see prosperity as a good thing.
And after the US sells Montana to Canada as proposed, those evil tourists and their despicable tourist dollars will leave the US for a country that appreciates them. A week or so later we will send the tourists back but we will keep the dollars forever. Talk about wins for everyone. Florida loses it's largest industry, tourism, Montana ceases to be flyover country and becomes a valuable Canandian Province, the US gets it's Trillion Dollars for selling a state and Venezuela gets repopulated by lottery losers and maybe your precious spring will see the E Coli count go down.


Wow! So making a statement about out of control growth turns into deporting American citizens to Venezuela?

Over react much?

I’m guessing if you moved the theme parks and their 72 MILLION ANNUAL VISITORS
and all the associated low paying jobs, load on schools and welfare to Montana, there would be complaints. And that was 1917 numbers.


My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rk911

Wheaton IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/09/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

...Cheap water is going away in our overpopulated state...


by what measure is FL overpopulated. 2019 estimate is ~20-million with an estimated growth rate of 1.54%.


Our beautiful springs have a rising Ecoli level and some are closed to swimming.

Drive thru Orlando lately? It’s a driving disaster. Most of the secondary roads are clogged and in poor condition. Meanwhile there are huge cheaply built apartments going up for all the low paying service jobs.

The tourism has lowered the quality of our natural resources for the residents and made going to the beach, camping, restaurants, etc, more expensive crowded and not fun.

I could go on but I won’t.
So Florida is overpopulated. Sounds like a great time for a lottery. Winners get to stay, losers have to move out of the country (other states don't want your losers). Venezuela would be a good destination since their citizens are leaving in droves leaving their ramshackle shacks behind. The Florida losers could help repopulate that worker's paradise.
As for DisneyWorld, Universal Studios and all the other Orlando attractions Montana will gladly take them all along with the millions of tourists that visit. You see, we tend to see prosperity as a good thing.
And after the US sells Montana to Canada as proposed, those evil tourists and their despicable tourist dollars will leave the US for a country that appreciates them. A week or so later we will send the tourists back but we will keep the dollars forever. Talk about wins for everyone. Florida loses it's largest industry, tourism, Montana ceases to be flyover country and becomes a valuable Canandian Province, the US gets it's Trillion Dollars for selling a state and Venezuela gets repopulated by lottery losers and maybe your precious spring will see the E Coli count go down.


Wow! So making a statement about out of control growth turns into deporting American citizens to Venezuela?

Over react much?

I’m guessing if you moved the theme parks and their 72 MILLION ANNUAL VISITORS
and all the associated low paying jobs, load on schools and welfare to Montana, there would be complaints. And that was 1917 numbers.


out of curiosity, is there a solution?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > RV Parks charging for water use?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.