cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brands that are well built for winter??

ENG2242
Explorer
Explorer
Just survived my first winter in a Rockwood TT. I've decided to go full time and am looking for fifth wheel Brands that are built/insulated for cold winters. Any input is greatly appreciated.
David
David Hartmann
2018 Bighorn 3870FB
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 5.9
Prodigy 2
Auto-Slide Hitch
Firestone Air-Bags
26 REPLIES 26

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
zoro58 wrote:
Depends on what you consider winter?

We have hunters that tent camp (big outfitters tents), in tempers well below zero F. If you have a good wood burner or propane heater...Itโ€™s quite doable. Though, you might not want to spend several months that way. ๐Ÿ˜‰ memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

zoro58
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you consider winter?

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
You can survive in a heavy duty tent and even be comfortable in almost any temperature with a big enough furnace and enough fuel.

Stick with something 2.5 inch to 3 inch which is the max sidewall, skirt and keep a lot of propane and you'll be fine. Make sure the under belly gets heat and heat tape your hose. Skirt.

Enjoy the winter.

We dont' notice a significant different between our DRV or our Momentum. I feel both of the fifth wheels were better insulated than our Newmar DP.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2007 Triple E 340RL and have been out in 20 degree weather. We placed a 1500 watt electric heater with thermostat in the belly and ran the fireplace in the interior. The furnace ran for awhile when first started because the camper had been winterized and was dead solid cold inside. Once the interior was warmed we didn't hear the furnace come on again. The two electric heaters not only kept it warm in the camper but was increasing the temperature as well. Great campers for winter. No they are not made anymore but in my opinion are worth looking at.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ChuckV1 wrote:
The Kz Gold Line https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-gold-fifth-wheels/

far cheaper than the high end 5th wheels but just as well built ๐Ÿ™‚

Beat me to it, Chuck! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
mt1729 wrote:
There is not a trailer on the market nor has there ever been that will handle 10 or 20 below 0 temp. I've survived in them but it wasn't easy. Between sewer & water trying to freeze and running furnace full time plus 2 electric heaters full time, frost build up inside and bedding & clothes freezing to the walls, it is a chore. Maybe if you just experiance these kinds of temp for a few days you'll get by. Do it for 3 winters in a row all winter long and see how well it works. I've done it. Artic Fox is the closest you can get to a 4 season trailer. Wish I could afford one. It still would not be ideal or fun, believe me.

Sir, I respectfully disagree! We lived in ours through 2 Wyoming winters while building our home. 1990 Teton, Livingston, 34 ft., one heater and no auxiliary heat sources, and no skirting during the first winter. We never froze a water line, had comfortable living conditions, seeing a few -30F mornings, and numerous-20 F mornings. We did get frost inside the front closet at the back of closet (nose of camper)....our fault as we had the sliding mirrored doors closed. Once we discovered or mistake.....opening the closet doors solved the problem. We also had no frost on any walls throughout the unit. So....there are some that can and do handle cold temps.
We do 3 or more weeks of boondocking every fall/winter, with water in the system, with low temperatures often near or slightly below zero F.....with no issues. With a Teton prior to the one we have now, we spent several days boondocking/ ice fishing with low temps around -22 F.

Tetons and Excels, were factory guaranteed to -20 F!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the R value they claim and compare it with other brands. I have a Grand Designs and their advertized R rating is almost double as compared to Jayco.. You have to run your heater to keep the under belly from freezing. You wake up in the morning and your cold water is almost as warm as the hot water
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
There is not a trailer on the market nor has there ever been that will handle 10 or 20 below 0 temp. I've survived in them but it wasn't easy. Between sewer & water trying to freeze and running furnace full time plus 2 electric heaters full time, frost build up inside and bedding & clothes freezing to the walls, it is a chore. Maybe if you just experiance these kinds of temp for a few days you'll get by. Do it for 3 winters in a row all winter long and see how well it works. I've done it. Artic Fox is the closest you can get to a 4 season trailer. Wish I could afford one. It still would not be ideal or fun, believe me.
Moose

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
DBHMEH wrote:
Just survived my first winter in a Rockwood TT. I've decided to go full time and am looking for fifth wheel Brands that are built/insulated for cold winters. Any input is greatly appreciated.
David

David, Just as an example, there is a 2005 Teton in Park City (listed in rvtrader.com), for just under $40K. If it is the shape it appears to be in.....one heck of a 5 th wheel. If I were looking, Iโ€™d have been there already. This unit, easily went for over $125K when new. Itโ€™s loaded-out pretty nicely!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
DBHMEH wrote:
David

What price range? There are older units (pre 2008) for a decent price that are VERY well built and designed for full-time and 4 seasons.

Alpenlite
Carriage
Holiday Rambler
Monaco

To mention a few
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
No longer built, but our Newmar has a winter package - 2 furnaces, 1 AC and extra insulation. We survived several days below zero and a night at 18 below in Denver a few years ago with no issues. Only complaint was the bedroom was too warm as we had to run that furnace to keep the belly warm.

Dennis, We had a Teton with 2 furnaces, and had the same problem. If your ductwork is shared, you should have heat to the basement area. If memory serves me correctly we lowered the front heater set-point pretty low to minimize run time. But, Iโ€™ve slept since then, I ma6 not be correct. By the way - Newmars were nice units. The best days of RV manufacturing have passed!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
No longer built, but our Newmar has a winter package - 2 furnaces, 1 AC and extra insulation. We survived several days below zero and a night at 18 below in Denver a few years ago with no issues. Only complaint was the bedroom was too warm as we had to run that furnace to keep the belly warm.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
:S I wonder how much I paid for my 4 seasons sticker on the Laredo?

Yeah but how wonderful is it to pull it with a truck with the extra 15 horsepower from the STP sticker?

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
New or used. If used, there are several brands, that are no longer available new, that excelled for cool weather camping. A couple had a -20 F warranty. Sadly, some of the best made camper manufacturers went out of business when the economy crashed in the late 2000โ€™s. They were quite expensive, and the economy could not support them....plus the market was โ€œfloodedโ€ with cheap units.

Some of these units are available used, however as always with a used unit....a very in-depth check on itโ€™s quality is a must!

An advertised 4-Season unit of today, is rarely a 4-season unit....unless your 4 seasons are in the Florida Keys!

We wouldnโ€™t hesitate to use ours at minus 20 F, and often boondock at or a little below 0 F!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl