Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hwy 285 between Carlsbad, NM and Fort Stockton, TX
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hwy 285 between Carlsbad, NM and Fort Stockton, TX

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had the unfortunate displeasure of traveling this road today and want to caution others to avoid it AT ALL COSTS. Of the 120 miles between the two cities there is 60 miles of road construction. There are no curbs or emergency lanes, no center divider just a small stripe, lane shifts constantly, always people trying to pass into on coming traffic. If heading north to Carlsbad you will be in a 7 mile long backup because of a single stop sign in a intersection that all I can describe it as is a pit, the thousands of oil field workers and thousands of big rigs bringing pipe in didn't help either. Heading south was not too bad but I really could of used a off road desert racing truck for the road. I can not believe we didn't have a blow out on the trailer.

I do not know their schedule but the magnitude of what they are doing I do not recommend traveling 285 to or from Carlsbad for all of 2019. There is no way this route will be fixed this year.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

NMDriver2

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhh the DOT total job security. At least it will be fixed some day and should last a season before needing repairs again. I should have kept that job with the Fed Highway Admin. [emoticon]

Turret Class traveler

timandsusan

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stopped using 285 north from Ft. Stockton about 3 years ago after experiencing oil field traffic--those fellows are working for a pay check--I am retired and trying to enjoy life. So we go west on I-10 to Las Cruces and then north on I25 to Santa Fe and Colorado! If you go that route, use 375 around El Paso.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timandsusan wrote:

We stopped using 285 north from Ft. Stockton about 3 years ago after experiencing oil field traffic--those fellows are working for a pay check--I am retired and trying to enjoy life. So we go west on I-10 to Las Cruces and then north on I25 to Santa Fe and Colorado! If you go that route, use 375 around El Paso.

X2^^

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hwy 285 between Carlsbad, NM and Fort Stockton, TX
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS