cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feedback on the new style entry steps

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
We had been looking at buying a new camper for the last few years and one thing that has made me skeptical of a new purchase is the change over to the new style entry step.
I saw nothing wrong with the old stlye step that just retracted into the side of the trailer. Yes, some trailers needed another step added but I liked the fact that your steps and any dirt associated with it stayed outside of your camper.
I figure they made the change because it probably saved them ten bucks somewhere but Iโ€™ll admit I have never had the chance to use the new system.
Please chime in on the pros and cons of these new fold up inside the camper step systems.
33 REPLIES 33

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
I'll second the love the new steps. The two cons are you have to clean them with a stiff broom before packing up and that if you park/store your RV somewhere you need room on the campground side to open the steps. Since I store at home, not a problem but if I was in a storage lot, crammed next to another RV, I could see where it would be an issue.

All that said, the stability is first rate, the steps are wider, it doesn't shake the camper when someone comes in the steps. To me, since the space to open them isn't an issue, it's a very worthwhile trade off.

I think they are great, however......

I don't see a problem at a campground - or even finding a location at a storage facility that would work (which means *pay* to store it).

Unfortunately - for some of us - the space where we (I) store the RV on our own property is a major consideration!..:(

The storage next to my home does not allow sufficient space to use the steps. Now *if* I can still have the old (3-step fold-up) style AND the newer type....it would work just fine.

:C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:
I have these left over from my previous TT - just put two underneath the bottom step.

What is the compressed height?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
We installed the Torklift Glo Step These are still supported by the ground but they store completely outside, so no need to clean the steps. Second reason I like these is I don't have the room to deploy the Lippert or Morryde version when it is stored inside our barn. Very well built and a great company too. Another option to look at.

Dan

Second the Torklift step system. Adjustable for rise and thread as well as adjusting for slope from front to back.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have these left over from my previous TT - just put two underneath the bottom step.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
I'll second the love the new steps. The two cons are you have to clean them with a stiff broom before packing up and that if you park/store your RV somewhere you need room on the campground side to open the steps. Since I store at home, not a problem but if I was in a storage lot, crammed next to another RV, I could see where it would be an issue.

All that said, the stability is first rate, the steps are wider, it doesn't shake the camper when someone comes in the steps. To me, since the space to open them isn't an issue, it's a very worthwhile trade off.

All of this reply are my exact thoughts. My sisters 5er has them and the 2 cons mentioned are all Iโ€™ve seen. They put a door rug right up to edge of doorway to catch any dirt and just shake it outside when next setup. My BIL elderly father often goes with them and he can get up/don them fine. I think he would have trouble with older style steps. Also, they have to position 5er just right in RV shed or steps will hit vertical pole when opening,
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I install the Glow Steps and I really like them very stable easy to store and to adjust absolutely no complains .
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I installed scissor jacks in front of the wheels on both sides and later JT strong arm stabilizers. I made a short of what I used to install wall cabinets above the
counters but much shorter and it can be adjusted for height. The reason is any person going down fifthwheel steps is kinda like an elephant. Every season I bring 4 to give away. Rock solid for us with nothing fancy. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even with the 6 point leveling I have some movement on our DRV. I added blocks under all 6 points, it helped but it's still not SOLID. Am I happy with what I did? YES!!! Do I still have movement? YES!!!

What can I do? Solid block my RV, NO. I am more than happy with the MINIMAL movenet of my DRV and the steps. YES
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
To be clear, the motion you feel when you step on the stairs aren't the stairs deflecting, it's the trailer moving on it's suspension. A $20 addition can make the steps as solid-feeling as the much more expensive types. It's all in what you feel you need.

I mean, they are just a set of steps to get you into the trailer. Why spend $600 when $300 will do the same thing: get you into the trailer.

If you have balance issues, that can be a different story I suppose.

Whether it's the stairs moving or the entire trailer is a matter of semantics. In essence one cannot move without the other, although I imagine it's possible for the tread to deflect without the trailer moving.:h
The idea is to stop the motion. Transferring the weight/force to the ground is a simple enough solution.
Yes you can add supports to the last step of a traditional set of steps, or you can but a set with the adjustable legs already built in.
Likewise you could buy a set of exterior steps that are stored inside the RV. Or you could buy a set of exterior steps that are stored outside!:S
As mentioned above by another poster you get what you pay for.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
To be clear, the motion you feel when you step on the stairs aren't the stairs deflecting, it's the trailer moving on it's suspension. A $20 addition can make the steps as solid-feeling as the much more expensive types. It's all in what you feel you need.

I mean, they are just a set of steps to get you into the trailer. Why spend $600 when $300 will do the same thing: get you into the trailer.

If you have balance issues, that can be a different story I suppose.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I measured my step deflection. Top of bottom step to ground 10 3/4", 200# on the bottom step 10 1/4".

I consider 1/2" deflection MINIMAL. These are US Made by Elkhart Tool and Die, YA get what YA pay for!!!

If I can feel the deflection while I walk it's not minimal.It's also not solid. I measure deflection by walking the steps not with a tape measure. Either they move or they don't.
My GSR's are solid when I walk them.
To your credit you do get what you pay for. Last I checked 4 step GSR's were considerably more than the steps you posted.
If simple hanging steps are all your after, than like the factory steps what you posted is adequate.
However if you want to eliminate the motion and have a solid set of stairs, there are better options.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I measured my step deflection. Top of bottom step to ground 10 3/4", 200# on the bottom step 10 1/4".

I consider 1/2" deflection MINIMAL. These are US Made by Elkhart Tool and Die, YA get what YA pay for!!!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Not to make too big of a deal over it, but there are supports that can be added to the Quadra-Steps. Rarely used because rarely needed. I suppose if one has balance issues then the steps need to be in contact with the ground, but otherwise the bounce/give isn't an issue.

I get your point as far as adding support. For the most part factory RV steps are adequate. However there are those looking for more.
The only real improvement you can make is stability. If you haven't improved stability? What is the advantage vs.the factory step?
I guess you could improve the aesthetics by going to aluminum.
So in the end you could install a new set of steps that look better than the OEM steps, but don't actually function any better
I installed the Quadra-Step because we had 3 steps and it made that last step very long. The Quadra-Step put the fourth step very near the ground so it worked out great. Peggy didn't think it would make much difference, but she was a believer the first time she went up and down. I really don't give a hoot about looks, but the price difference is another story. I think the steps are twice the price of the Quadra-Steps.

Because of the narrow sites where we store our trailer, the MorRyde steps are out of the question. And I don't care for putting dirty steps into the trailer all the time. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I went to an RV show today and most of the trailers had the ground supported steps. I observed several people catch their foot on the stupid ground supports. Depending on configuration, those supports may stick out way too much. I prefer the old style, a little bounce is not as much of a problem as tripping, clearance, dirt and water issues.