Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Feedback on the new style entry steps
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Feedback on the new style entry steps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Jetstreamer

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had been looking at buying a new camper for the last few years and one thing that has made me skeptical of a new purchase is the change over to the new style entry step.
I saw nothing wrong with the old stlye step that just retracted into the side of the trailer. Yes, some trailers needed another step added but I liked the fact that your steps and any dirt associated with it stayed outside of your camper.
I figure they made the change because it probably saved them ten bucks somewhere but I’ll admit I have never had the chance to use the new system.
Please chime in on the pros and cons of these new fold up inside the camper step systems.

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't own one with them, but of the hundreds I went into with them at the rv shows I really liked them. Full support of weight going in and out. There is no way they are cheaper to include vs the old style steps...but I suspect they will become "standard equipment" on all but entry level rigs. For me the downside would be all outside dirt gets in when folded inside. In addition, in storage I could never lower them if the rig beside me is within 4 feet of mine.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/19 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one of the new units with the MorRyde steps. We love them. Can open and close with one hand(spring assist). Rock solid on the ground and adjustable for just about any terrain. Cleaning is a breeze with just a small whisk broom. They have an additional handle, which makes it easier to get in and out when a person has a problem with mobility. Yes, they do stick out more and it will take a wider area next to the unit but that just requires forethought when selecting the spot.
Will not go back.

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 12:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll second the love the new steps. The two cons are you have to clean them with a stiff broom before packing up and that if you park/store your RV somewhere you need room on the campground side to open the steps. Since I store at home, not a problem but if I was in a storage lot, crammed next to another RV, I could see where it would be an issue.

All that said, the stability is first rate, the steps are wider, it doesn't shake the camper when someone comes in the steps. To me, since the space to open them isn't an issue, it's a very worthwhile trade off.

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We installed the Torklift Glo Step These are still supported by the ground but they store completely outside, so no need to clean the steps. Second reason I like these is I don't have the room to deploy the Lippert or Morryde version when it is stored inside our barn. Very well built and a great company too. Another option to look at.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you price them online you will find they actually cost more than the old style retracting steps. Wider and much steadier. You will like them.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Visited an RV show on Thursday and many of the models had those new style steps. They do seem to be more steady but they do extend further and folding them up into the trailer would be something I would have to get used to since I have worked with the fold up steps for 40+ years.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Moryde steps were a selling point for me. VERY sturdy, no bouncing. I sweep out my TT often and don't care much about any dirt from the steps getting folded inside. I added Astro turf to the steps that covers each step & forms a "riser" between the steps to get my dog to use them. So they trap even more junk than open steps.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most RV steps are flimsy SH!T. Buy the GOOD ones built by Elkhart Tool & Die 1424BOXED QUADRA-STEP these came standard on our DRV. They were VERY solid. I crunched them hitting a light pole. Replaced with the same only have the extruded aluminum steps and a built in anti skid strip. VERY NICE!

The step is a corrugated anti skid surface.

I use the little step if needed. Actually don't use the step under normal conditions.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CincyGus wrote:

I'll second the love the new steps. The two cons are you have to clean them with a stiff broom before packing up and that if you park/store your RV somewhere you need room on the campground side to open the steps. Since I store at home, not a problem but if I was in a storage lot, crammed next to another RV, I could see where it would be an issue.

All that said, the stability is first rate, the steps are wider, it doesn't shake the camper when someone comes in the steps. To me, since the space to open them isn't an issue, it's a very worthwhile trade off.

x2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Feedback on the new style entry steps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS