cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Ox Hitch

firedog
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry this is Firedog’s wife asking this question, so please bare with me. When we park unhook from the RV and lift the bar to place it in the locking bracket, it won’t go in without using a lot of force, sometimes pounding. My husband says not to worry, he know me better than that so I’m asking for any suggestions. We have 2010 Monticeto using Blue Ox tow bar. Thank you for all the help you give. Ann
13 REPLIES 13

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the stud that latches into the slot is a little bent and scrubbing the edge of the slot. If it cannot be straightened then a new one is needed. I would mark the point of contact and try hitting it with a hammer to see if that will correct the problem. I have the same Blue Ox Aladdin 10,000 lb. bar.

Westenthal
Explorer
Explorer
I would spray some WD-40 on pivot and it should loosen up.
Westenthal

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Looked at one on web.
I am thinking that the nut that allows the arms to pivot is hitting the storge plate. When you push down with extra force the plate defects slightly. Slight adjustment with hammer may correct issue.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

firedog
Explorer
Explorer
Its a Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP's wife is saying the storage latch, not the arms.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I understand you to mean the sliding arms resist sliding into the larger recessed part of the arm. Pretty common. Solution is to remove the rubber boots, clean the rust and dirt from the arms then grease the arms and reinstall boots. Blue Ox offers a refurbish service for $30 at events where they do all that and replace any worn bits. Can cost extra for parts depending on what they replace. Or you can ship it to them.

Tell hubby BFH for sticking mechanisms is not the long term solution. 😉

I see there was a clarification while I composed this. I still stand by the previous paragraph. 🙂
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

firedog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you (enblethen) yes this is the problem. I will tell him to try your suggestions . Thanks again Ann
I didn't know how to reply just to you so I did it this way. 🙂

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Which model of tow bar?
Looking closer at one model, storing could be hitting on the large nut. One I am looking at does not have a spring. to release. The storage retainer may need to be bent away from the nut.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

firedog
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I didn't explain the issue very well (not surprised) 🙂 Or I didn't understand your responses. We have A Blue Ox tow bar to tow our car. When we unhook, raise the two bars, close them and lay them to the side and slide into the latch for storage they won't go in without a lot of pressure. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question Ann

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am reading it as he is having problem storing the tow bar.
Has he tried storing it in the other direction?
I think some Blue Ox bars have a spring behind the bracket. Loosening the large nut on storage bracket can allow it to move more.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried putting a bit of lubricant on the ball part? The mechanism should move fairly easy but still require a little effort.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
And a long breaker bar with 1" socket instead of the short wrench it comes with.

To the OP. Are you talking about the bar that has the chain on one end and placing it into the hitch head on your truck? It should go in pretty easy, with maybe a little force to get the retaining pin to latch the bar in place but nothing that I would call "pounding".

Or are you talking about turning the chain brackets into position until the latch catches?
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

justaboutretire
Explorer
Explorer
I would raise the front up pretty high to get the tongue weight off the bars. Should be Easier to unlock or lock into place.
Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
1DIL, 3 Granddaughters
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT