cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Corned beef brisket in slow cooker

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
That time of year. Local grocery stores all have corned beef on sale this week. Not a very healthy meal (high sodium) but with cabbage and potatoes it's yummy.

I place a slow cooker liner in crock, rinse off brisket and place fat cap down inside and top with the spices from the packet. Pour in 1 cup/can chicken broth and 1 12 oz.can of beer (the cheap stuff is ok so you can save the good stuff to have with the meal). Cook on low for 8-9 hours. About an hour before it is done I remove about 11/2 cups of the liquid and place in stock pot. Add as much sliced cabbage and potatoes as you like, add water to cover, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer until the potatoes are done. Use small chucks of potato and they are tender about the time brisket is ready to remove and slice.

Enjoy.
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK
20 REPLIES 20

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
There are just the two of us, so we cook the corned beef and have it with the cabbage etc one night, slice off a couple hunks for corned beef sandwiches and have the rest as hash. Three good meals, sometimes 4 and it makes a very inexpensive meals.

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I paid $3.48 a pound yesterday at Walmart in Amite, Louisiana. Didn't want to, but I'm hungry for it, so I bought a small one. DH likes it, but he can't have salt. He will eat a little bit of it, but the rest will be mine! All mine!

Dale

Glad you found one. $3.48 isn't bad for corned beef. Up here in the off season it runs $4.99 or more. As far as you getting it all, think of snoopy doing the happy dance.... LOL
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Publix had flat, point or eye of round 3.99/# so we are trying the eor this time.

I sous vide eor often.

Probably slow cook it as I like the vegetables cooked the beer water.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I cheated, I already made my first batch a couple of days ago,
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I paid $3.48 a pound yesterday at Walmart in Amite, Louisiana. Didn't want to, but I'm hungry for it, so I bought a small one. DH likes it, but he can't have salt. He will eat a little bit of it, but the rest will be mine! All mine!

I've never had problems with it being tender. . . I pressure cook it and it always comes out fork tender.

We are on the road now, though, so not sure when I will get it made.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
EgorKC wrote:
Right now is the season (St Pats) and around here $1.99lb for Point and $2.99 flat at 2 different stores.

The point is way better than the shoe leather flat. I'd probably buy all they've got at that mismarked price.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
EgorKC wrote:
Scottiemom if you have a warehouse membership you could try that. I have bought them at our local Sam's (Kansas City area) in the off season. Right now is the season (St Pats) and around here $1.99lb for Point and $2.99 flat at 2 different stores. But if I have the craving later in the year Sam's here has had them.

I have never seen it at the Sam's down here. Like I said, even the guys stocking the meat aisles didn't know what it was. I don't buy steak down here either. That is avaiable, but it is all thin cut "made for fajita" meat. So we eat a lot of chicken and ground beef in the winter and leave the other stuff for when we leave the valley. There are a couple meat markets that cater to the winter Texans, but I can't bring myself to pay $10 a pound for ground beef.

LOL

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now, corned beef hash. Chop up the corned beef into 1/4" cubes. A couple baked potatoes chopped up 1/4" and add some chopped green onions.......Yessssssssssssssss!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch for sales after St Pattyโ€™s. Last year BJs blew them out for 99 cents a pound.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom if you have a warehouse membership you could try that. I have bought them at our local Sam's (Kansas City area) in the off season. Right now is the season (St Pats) and around here $1.99lb for Point and $2.99 flat at 2 different stores. But if I have the craving later in the year Sam's here has had them.
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I have tried the slow cooker, but prefer the pressure cooker for corned beef. I do the veggies in the same pot after I take the meat out. I don't use the seasoning packet. I don't care for some of the flavors in it. I don't use anything to season it and the corned beef has enough flavor to season all.

It's one of my favorite meals. Interesting that someone mentioned it was on sale. Down here in the Rio GRande Valley, they don't even know what it is. I occasionally can find it. Yesterday in the big HEB chain a shopper turned to me in the meat aisle and said. . . "They don't have any corned beef out. I asked the young man and he had to look it up because he didn't know what it was!"

Dale

With a little pink curing salt, we all ought to make our own. The typical cut is just cheap brisket that they sell for twice the price. Winco foods sells an eye of round corned beef I like a lot. But seriously, if it is really hard to find where you are, it is super easy to make your own.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I have tried the slow cooker, but prefer the pressure cooker for corned beef. I do the veggies in the same pot after I take the meat out. I don't use the seasoning packet. I don't care for some of the flavors in it. I don't use anything to season it and the corned beef has enough flavor to season all.

It's one of my favorite meals. Interesting that someone mentioned it was on sale. Down here in the Rio GRande Valley, they don't even know what it is. I occasionally can find it. Yesterday in the big HEB chain a shopper turned to me in the meat aisle and said. . . "They don't have any corned beef out. I asked the young man and he had to look it up because he didn't know what it was!"

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
EgorKC wrote:
That time of year. Local grocery stores all have corned beef on sale this week. Not a very healthy meal (high sodium) but with cabbage and potatoes it's yummy.

I place a slow cooker liner in crock, rinse off brisket and place fat cap down inside and top with the spices from the packet. Pour in 1 cup/can chicken broth and 1 12 oz.can of beer (the cheap stuff is ok so you can save the good stuff to have with the meal). Cook on low for 8-9 hours. About an hour before it is done I remove about 11/2 cups of the liquid and place in stock pot. Add as much sliced cabbage and potatoes as you like, add water to cover, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer until the potatoes are done. Use small chucks of potato and they are tender about the time brisket is ready to remove and slice.

Enjoy.

This is exactly how we prepare our corned beef and cabbage. Love it!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch oven on a fire works really good.