cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upcoming Florida Trip

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
In a few weeks we'll be heading to Florida. I'm looking for input and reactions to our planned route and itinerary, as well as any advice about MUST-SEE things along the way. We'll be on the road for about 6 weeks. Traveling from Western New York. We already have reservations for most of the spots in Florida, but no specific places for stopping along the way down or the way back. We like to see historical things and interesting cultural things. I like snorkeling and scuba as well as kayaking and biking. Capable of several days at a time off-grid, but generally appreciate the luxury of hookups. Just the two of us geezers; no grandkids along, except maybe have a couple of them join us for a couple days on the way home.

Weeks #1-1.5: Take 3 to 5 days to get to the Florida panhandle. Route taking us through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida. Use Harvest Host locations along the way. First campground in Florida: Topsail Hill Preserve for 6 nights. Maybe do some snorkeling and scuba diving.

Week #1.5-2.5: Drive to Salt Springs Rec. area in Ocala National Forest. A couple days there exploring the springs. One day at a Harvest Host picking blueberries. On to Sun n Fun RV Resort near Sarasota to meet up with family for a few days.

Week #2.5-3.0: Go up to Clearwater area. Try to get in to Fort De Soto Park. (No reservations; no sites currently available) Couple days exploring Tarpon Springs, Ybor City, Tampa..

Week #4 and into 5: Head to Bahia Honda State Park, via one stopover night at Corps of Engineers campground W. P. Franklin (near Fort Meyers) and two nights in Long Key Pine campground in Everglades National Park. Then 6 nights at Bahia Honda. Snorkeling and scuba diving.

Week #5: Head north to Anastasia State Park for a couple nights, and then start wandering toward home.

Week #6: Wander home, using Harvest Hosts. Spend a couple nights with family in Raleigh, NC.

Wadya think?

Getting antsy

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
26 REPLIES 26

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
While you are in the Keys make sure you take the dive boat trips out to the reefs. They are great trips and aren't all that pricey. Just hope that you do not have onshore winds which ruins the diving and snorkeling. The boats can provide all your gear tho I'd at least bring everything except tanks. There is a boat out of Bahia Honda, we never got to try it because of those winds I mention above that stir up silt and reduce visibility to just about zero.

I am not as familiar with diving in the panhandle. I know there are some boats and they have to go much further off shore to get to their dive sites. I think those are often wrecks. There is a well known springs dive spot called Vortex Springs. Not sure how close that is to Top Sail.

Weeki Watchi is now open to divers. And so are the springs in the Ocala NF (Salt Springs), Mainly Alexander Springs. I don't think there is much at Salt Springs and Alexander is just a shallow dive. Crystal River has boats that drop you off upstream and pick you up a mile or so downstream. That is a very excellent trip you feel like you are flying over the green waving grass in the perfectly clear water.

Yeah, I've been pricing dive trips in the Keys and on the panhandle. Keys are much more affordable. Panhandle trips are out to shipwrecks. How do I find dive buddies while on the road?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Stretch that return leg out some. If you haven't previously, visit Savannah Ga, beautiful old town, fascinating cemetary, and great food, then up to Charleston SC, Ft. Sumter, and old town tours as well, then up to your Raleigh stop before going back to the Coast for Nags Head beaches, Wright Bros Memorial, lighthouses and then up to Williamsburg Va for some history.

We're pretty open about that return trip. It may well stretch out to a week or so. We did visit Savannah last year. Had a nice time touring that town. We're thinking maybe a day or two in Charleston. We did visit the Outer Banks a while ago and saw the Wright Bros Memorial. Loved it.

Thanks!

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
Be sure to visit McGuire Irish Pub

Thanks! We'll keep it in mind. It looks like it's almost a half hour from the park, so I doubt we'd make a special trip for just that, but we might be going over that way for other things. So, we'll keep it in mind. Love Irish pubs.

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
In Tarpon Springs one of our favorite restaurants is Rusty Bellies at the far end of the main drag. Good hush puppies are an appetizer. In Clearwater you might want to see Winter the dolphin that lost its tail and was fitted with a prothesis. A movie was made about that story.
We always stay at the Dunedin RV Resort and have lunch at the nearby Molly Goodheads. Needless to say we like eating.

LOL.

Nah, we don't really enjoy eating. Not our thing really. JK

Thanks for the tips!

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
mustard wrote:
If going I75 thru Cincinnati, look into the Creation Museum and an hour down the road if the Ark Encounter.

Interesting. As Christians, we might really enjoy this. Thanks!

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
In the Santa Rosa Beach area, be sure to get breakfast at the Donut Hole. Take a ride down Route 30A and see the communities along the way. It's like driving from Key West to Nantucket. The panhandle is a different Florida for sure.

Sounds interesting. We may give 30A a look.

Do you know if there is an admission fee to a FL state park if you're camped in a nearby one? In other words, as a camper at Topsail, would I have to pay an entry fee at Grayson?

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
While at Salt Springs, there is a small marina where you can rent a boat for a reasonable price and explore the run down to the lake. Also, I'd recommend going over to Juniper Springs ( short drive from Salt Springs) and rent a canoe and do the run down the creek. It's 7 miles and a very scenic paddle.
Good luck getting in Ft. DeSoto.... they do have walk ups so maybe you;ll be lucky-- but you should have a plan "B" .
At Bahia Honda, go out to Looe Key to dive/snorkel. Sometime during your stay, head over to No Name Pub ( at No Name Key, off Big Pine Key) for pizza. Looe Key Dive Center also has a new,huge tiki hut with some pretty good happy hour specials. You should head to Key West for a day trip. Lots to do there..... if you like good live music, go to the Green Parrot. Great Happy Hour at the Boat House- 1/2 price small plates.

Yeah; I'll have my kayak with me, so I'll be looking into those runs. Mrs. S. doesn't appreciate the fun of kayaking, but maybe I can get a canoe and we can go down together. Or, if not, she has been known to pick me up downstream.

Ft. DeSoto has a "new?" policy of keeping 10% of their sites as "hold-back" sites. They release them on Friday mornings. I'm hoping to get one that way. I do have a few other campgrounds in mind for that area if it doesn't work out for Fort D.

Thanks for the tips on the Keys!

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
We are at Salt Springs Rec Area now. The campground is fully occupied almost every day. Today, it was 85 degrees and with spring break, there were over a hundred folks enjoying the 72 degree water.

Aw, man you're killing me. Can't wait. Nice photo!

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Since you like to see historic sites definitely work old St. Augustine into your itinerary. On the way to Anastasia SP - Cape Canaveral with the Sands Space History Center, the Kennedy Space Center Complex, and the US Air Force Space and Missile Museum.

Great tips. Thanks!

We do plan to visit St. Augustine while we're at Anastasia S.P. Saw the Kennedy Space Center last year. Had to! I'll look into your other tips.

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good book, but we won't be taking I75. Thanks.

-Speak

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
If you are taking I75, get Dave Hunter's book Along the I75. Should be at your local book chain. Detailed description of the road with all the shops/attractions at each interchange and historic etc. details. Also tells you what lane to be in.
We gave a copy to cousins on their last trip south and they got slightly off track because the navigator was reading the incidental details instead of telling hubby where to go!
Book is updated every 2 years now.
David and Dayle

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you like to see historic sites definitely work old St. Augustine into your itinerary. On the way to Anastasia SP - Cape Canaveral with the Sands Space History Center, the Kennedy Space Center Complex, and the US Air Force Space and Missile Museum.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We are at Salt Springs Rec Area now. The campground is fully occupied almost every day. Today, it was 85 degrees and with spring break, there were over a hundred folks enjoying the 72 degree water.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
While at Salt Springs, there is a small marina where you can rent a boat for a reasonable price and explore the run down to the lake. Also, I'd recommend going over to Juniper Springs ( short drive from Salt Springs) and rent a canoe and do the run down the creek. It's 7 miles and a very scenic paddle.
Good luck getting in Ft. DeSoto.... they do have walk ups so maybe you;ll be lucky-- but you should have a plan "B" .
At Bahia Honda, go out to Looe Key to dive/snorkel. Sometime during your stay, head over to No Name Pub ( at No Name Key, off Big Pine Key) for pizza. Looe Key Dive Center also has a new,huge tiki hut with some pretty good happy hour specials. You should head to Key West for a day trip. Lots to do there..... if you like good live music, go to the Green Parrot. Great Happy Hour at the Boat House- 1/2 price small plates.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard