cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone NP in early Sept

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got off the phone with Yellowstone Lodge Reservations because I was having a hard time locating a campsite in early Sept. I ended up getting a 4 day stay at Bay Bridge Campground. It turns out that it may have been the last site large enough for my truck and TT. There are one or two sits still available with a total length of 30 ft. All the other sites are for short MH's or tents with a max length of 20 ft.
I didn't think the campgrounds would be full in Sept. but I was definitely wrong.
The rest of our trip is planned for areas that don't take reservations or are boondocking.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired
3 REPLIES 3

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
You are going in the right time of the year. If you need more time in Yellowstone, Mammoth and several other park campgrounds are first come-first serve, no reservation needed. Show up on the morning you want to camp, especially in Sept/Oct and you will likely get a site. Once on the site, you can stay up to 30 days. We stayed for 7 days in Mammoth campground in mid Sept/18, I didn't notice anyone get turned away if they arrived by 11:00 am. Mammoth is nice, all pull thru sites, and the very helpful campground staff will get you into the right length of site you need. If you go to Mammoth, don't be alarmed if you pull into a short line up as is normal every morning.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah they are busy in the fall, I saw a clip from a tour guide in GCNP saying that the south rim has more traffic in the fall than in the summer. If people can they avoid the kids summer season.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Yellowstone NP many times and always go in early September or mid. It's just the best time for us at work. We got in to Bridge Bay once and at that time of year, they block off a portion of the CG leaving just a portion of it open. It's a huge CG, so not sure why they do that. All other CG's there are much smaller, but are full daily. Often, we've stayed outside the park in order to get a site that fits our FW.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton