cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wintering in a toy hauler

Nicodemus
Explorer
Explorer
I get offered jobs in snowy areas of the country frequently but I've been leery of accepting one. Definitely not in my old rig which was built for AZ weather, but this one has R54 insulation everywhere and I'm thinking that if I can find a park open I could try it. Has anyone else done long term winter camping up in the northern part of the country? What was your experience?
9 REPLIES 9

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
Nicodemus wrote:
I get offered jobs in snowy areas of the country frequently but I've been leery of accepting one. Definitely not in my old rig which was built for AZ weather, but this one has R54 insulation everywhere and I'm thinking that if I can find a park open I could try it. Has anyone else done long term winter camping up in the northern part of the country? What was your experience?

R-54 Everywhere? Not sure R-54 can be obtained anywhere in an RV... I would question the "Heat Calculations" considering the walls are only 1 1/2" thick and the ceiling 12" thick at best. The dead air space in the floor does not count for much...
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Nicodemus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! Before accepting a job my wife makes sure there's a park open close to the hospital, and they are pretty limited. A lot of them do close. Judging from the weather this winter it's probably a good idea NOT to go away from the coast.

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a pre cut piece of carpet we lay down in our TH and looked at this for the back.
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen people winter in snowy areas in "light" campers. It takes skirting and preparation to accomplish it. But it can be done in almost anything.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can find campgrounds open in the winter but very few. Even with good insulation expect to do some prep work on the plumbing and expect to burn a lot of propane (look into have a large stand alone tank brought in).

It can be done but it's not a lot of fun.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you will be able to find campgrounds that will be open in most of the country. I worked for a company that has retail stores throughout the country. We had a store remodel in the greater Chicago area during the winter. The construction superintend found a RV park near the store location for his 40' motor Home.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Your garage will freeze since there is no insulation under the floor. It's also been my experience that most campgrounds in snowy areas close for the winter.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
What HadEnough said is definitely true. A dehumidifier will be your good friend. Regardless of insulation, if you’re going to stay in cold, windy areas, you’ll want to plan skirting around the rig too. The underbelly and under slides are especially susceptible to cold. We’ll just stay in AZ during winter, but you let us know how it goes!??
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Nicodemus wrote:

Your biggest enemy will be condensation and mold.

Warm, moist interior air coming into contact with anything cold will act like a frosty cold beer bottle. Drips and moisture everywhere.

The moisture will allow mold yo grow...

So... You need to make sure anything cold (windows, doors, frame, hardware, isn't exposed directly to the interior warm and moist air.