Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

COUCH PULLED OUT FROM WALL

Goldneye1
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some suggestions.
Our folding couch / bed that that goes up against the wall, the bracket has pulled out from the wall. I tried running a little bigger screw in it but pulled out again. any ideas on a more permanent fix?
10 REPLIES 10

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Goldneye1 wrote:
I finally got around to fixing the couch, all went well. I used a good quality pine, seemed a bit harder than the white pine. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Glad it worked out. Depending on how you finish the "header" most people will never know it was done.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Goldneye1
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got around to fixing the couch, all went well. I used a good quality pine, seemed a bit harder than the white pine. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Goldneye1
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Goldneye1 wrote:
fitznj wrote:
I had the same thing happen; Assuming the bed bracket has been screwed in to the
wall, then you may want to look at the load on the brackets; You may find that
when you sit on the couch there is a load on the bracket trying to pull the
screws out of the wall;

Hard to explain, but I extended the brackets down to the floor, so all the load
would be vertical and not horizontal; I used square tubing from Home Depot. I
also used larger/longer lag bolts (measure first so you don't go all the way
through) - so far it's held up.

Hope this helps
This seems to be exa1xctly what is happening. The legs are not supporting the couch/bed so all the weight is on the bracket thats attached to the wall. What did you use to extend the bracket down to the floor? I'm afraid that the wood is split and I can not get a screw back in the same hole.

use a 1x6 piece of pine, paint it white and attach to the studs in new holes, wood will cover the old ones. Then attach the couch to the new header. Couch will be out 1" farther but that shouldn't pose a problem. If you then extend some vertical 1x1 material vertically down to the floor you can transfer some of that load vertically instead of relying only on the screws in the wall.
Thanks for the info. I'll post back how it went, just might be a bit but I will get back.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Goldneye1 wrote:
fitznj wrote:
I had the same thing happen; Assuming the bed bracket has been screwed in to the
screws out of the wall;

Hope this helps
This seems to be exa1xctly what is happening. The legs are not supporting the couch/bed so all the weight is on the bracket thats attached to the wall. What did you use to extend the bracket down to the floor? I'm afraid that the wood is split and I can not get a screw back in the same hole.

use a 1x6 piece of pine, paint it white and attach to the studs in new holes, wood will cover the old ones. Then attach the couch to the new header. Couch will be out 1" farther but that shouldn't pose a problem. If you then extend some vertical 1x1 material vertically down to the floor you can transfer some of that load vertically instead of relying only on the screws in the wall.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Goldneye1
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
screws out of the wall;

Hope this helps
This seems to be exactly what is happening. The legs are not supporting the couch/bed so all the weight is on the bracket thats attached to the wall. What did you use to extend the bracket down to the floor? I'm afraid that the wood is split and I can not get a screw back in the same hole.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a post on here a while back where the same thing happened to a guy. He did not say how he fixed it but did provide a picture of the damage. I thought at the time if I was to fix that I would use some 2" steel plate about 6" long. I would screw the plate into the stud and the couch into the plate using the same place and location where it had pulled out from. Be careful not to use longer screws than what they used to begin with. You don't want to go all the way through!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
screws out of the wall;

Hope this helps
Gerry

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
often they miss the studs, check if that is the case. You might have to cut a header to catch multiple studs, then attach couch to header.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I used. Screw in at each front foot. Clicky

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Can you tell if the screw is going into a framing piece in the wall? Or is it going into the luan only? Is the original screw rusted as if the wood in the wall is wet and rotting?

You could measure the length of the couch. Then take a piece of 1 x 2 or 1 x 4 pine from HD or Lowes and carefully screw it horizontally to the wall behind the couch making sure you hit a framing piece with each screw. Then attach the couch to this newly added piece of pine.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup