cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to see and do in Richmond

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are going to Pocahontas State Park for 3 nights first week in April and visiting Richmond area. Suggestions on "must do" or "don't waste your time" events/attractions/tours, etc? I am a bonifide Civil War History buff - the reason for the visit. We also love local pubs/bars, and would like to take a tour first thing to get a "feel" for the city. We're both retired and walking is OK, but his 2 artificial knees and my sciatica sometimes limit that! Help would be appreciated.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
4 REPLIES 4

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
For a history buff, a visit to Hollywood Cemetery is a must. Many figures from the Civil War are buried there. There are also a number of craft brewpubs, as well as a number of location of The Capital Ale House, which is not a brewpub, but does have on tap a huge selection of both local and non-local beers. Plus the food is good.

Iโ€™ll also second a visit to the Virginia Musem.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
The Library of Virginia in downtown Richmond is awesome. We have done genealogy research there 3-4 times. We'll be going back in April. Also lots of history on the "Northern Neck", east of the Rappahannock River. Look around in the Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society Facebook page. George Washingtons birthplace, Robert E Lee birthplace, Stratford Hall, next to Westmoreland State Park.
For some really high faluting high brow entertainment you could join us at Richmond Raceway April 13-14 for the NASCAR race. Just wear a clean T shirt and be on your best behavior! LOL
Pocahontas Stae Park is pretty good. We stayed there last year, just 1 night. If we get to Richmond a little early we may be there 3-4 days this year. After the race we will be at either Westmoreland State Park or Belle Isle S.P. Reminds me...I need to call for reservations.
aw heck...I just saw you are from Montross VA. You should be telling us! I'll be kicking around there in a few weeks. I think I have some dead folks trails in your courthouse.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
In Richmond, you have :
1. The John Marshall House
2. White House of the Confederacy
3. Virginia Holocaust Museum
4. Edgar Allen Poe Museum
5. Black History Museum

There is the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Hollywood Cemetery and lots of other things. Carytown is a great way to spend an afternoon.

Richmond is a known "foodie" destination and has lots and lots of great restaurants. I have found that Tripadvisor has great reviews, good recommendations for both historic/cultural activities and restaurants.

We have enjoyed Lemaire Restaurant,La Grotta Ristorante and Bookbinders Seafood. Sometimes pricey, but the food has been really good.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Some you likely have already looked at Petersburg
CNN article on Richmond

The Capitol of the confederacy was in a building near VCU medical center, and I believe is open for tours.
And of course you have the Appomattox Courthouse about an hour west on 460.