Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

55 Amp Converter Question

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Our camper spec sheet says it came with a 55 amp converter. Just curious, 55 amps of what? Is that maximum charger output for charging the batteries?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SailingOn wrote:
You might think therefore that if you have a 100 amp-hour battery bank which if 50% depleted, this converter will recharge it in an hour or so.
It doesn't work out that way,.
It's like filling a jug with water. You can fill most of it with high pressure, but not that last 10%.

Doing a lot of dry camping you rarely get 100% charge without solar.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
You might think therefore that if you have a 100 amp-hour battery bank which is 50% depleted, this converter will recharge it in an hour or so.
It doesn't work out that way, actually taking much longer. As the battery nears a full charge its resistance increases so it will accept less current, regardless of the peak output of the converter. Assuming that other 12V loads aren't large, using a higher output converter won't make much difference.
See The 12 Volt Side of Life
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
It is total output of the converter. A portion may go to the 12 volt DC devices connected and then the remainder goes to the battery.

YEP^^^^

Total amperage converter is capable of supplying to DC Dist Panel (Fused load) and Charging of batteries
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is total output of the converter. A portion may go to the 12 volt DC devices connected and then the remainder goes to the battery.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, 55 amps @ 13 volts to the battery. About 6 amps on the 120v side.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman