cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling while on Dialysis

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for others who do in home dialysis and take the equipment with them. We can have supplies delivered to our camp location if we give 2 weeks notice. Wife is on PD dialysis with Fresenius.
5 REPLIES 5

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Kalynzoo: We watched diet and made it an additional 8 years before going on dialysis.
Best of luck.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
You guys have got it together. I only hope and pray that if and when we reach that situation we will be able to accomplish the ability to fully enjoy what is given us. My best to you both, Enjoy.

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
We have all the logics in hand . we have done extended trips of 6 weeks with no problem. can carry 18 days supplies in bins , plus another 8 inside. lines a long enough with machine setup nightly in center of motorhome for her to move through out. I am basic looking for others who travel like we do, and sharing their experiences Have had supplies delivered 3 times.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking into this when my wife was bordering on dialysis, thankfully her kidney responded enough to keep her on a watch program. Maintaining a reasonably sterile environment to satisfy your clinic might be problematic. I would not rely on campgrounds to accept your shipments unless a relationship has been previously established, many campgrounds do not regularly accept guests shipments. Perhaps finding clinics in locations would be a better idea and make advanced arrangements to receive fluids. In the past, we traveled with Grandma who required regular chemotherapy infusions. We toured from Los Angeles to South Dakota and back, with advanced reservations at area hospitals, including a letter sent in advance by the Oncologist our 6 week travel was completed without a hitch. My best to you and yours. There are also a few Facebook groups offering conversation and support to dialysis patients.

elwood58
Explorer
Explorer
PD can certainly be done anywhere there is power and a place to drain. Challenge will be getting the machine at the same elevation as sleeping position, and enough room. You might need to put a piece of plywood next to her on the bed. You will need to take one for the team and sleep elsewhere ๐Ÿ™‚

I would take some extra solution with you in case of delivery snag. Start with shorter trips and carry enough solution for a round trip.

I am not on PD, but have a couple of friends that are.
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C