cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OIL Consumption

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all its been a while since posting anything since the ball joint failing on my LMM :S do to my stupid choice and China made **** .. not all made in China is **** but those were lol
Anyway so ive had my lml now for almost a year , got it with 120k now at 149 and the last two oil changes or just before I get the "LOW ENGINE OIL or ADD OIL NOW" or whatever it says so I checked the dip and bone dry.... my past LMM with 388k when the ball joint snapped had never burned a drop of oil and this has happened twice now , anyone else go from an LMM to LML and notice this?
13 REPLIES 13

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
I have a 09 lmm that is deleted and tuned for 630hp, it was drag raced for over two years and it burns less than my factory 13 lml. The lml will burn 3/4 of a quart in 8000 miles.
3/4 qt in 8000 miles isn't bad. With a 10 qt capacity. you don't have to add between oil changes.
Contrary to what some believe, I and the automakers think that some oil consumption is normal. Certain items such as valve guides need to be lubricated. This requires that minute amounts of oil get by the seals. Over many miles, it adds up.
A lot of the diesel crowd got used to diesel getting into the oil due to emission technology. They were consuming oil all the time, but the level did not drop as diesel was replacing it. In some cases they actually made oil... As in the oil level would rise!
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Have your oil tested that should give you an idea of what's going on, who does your tuning?

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 09 lmm that is deleted and tuned for 630hp, it was drag raced for over two years and it burns less than my factory 13 lml. The lml will burn 3/4 of a quart in 8000 miles.

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
Hey little off subject but KSSS was just curious you went from the lml back to an lmm? If so can you confirm and elaborate ? Thanks

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
All great info and thanks again guys , if it helps both trucks are and were fully deleted when on the LMM never saw any oil loss at changes and the LML fully deleted as well

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change the oil and pull a sample while it's draining and have it analyzed.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I have an LMM at 160K and never burns oil. I had an LML that I traded out at 60K and it used a little between oil changes. I changed it when the computer said to, it was about at 7K. I never saw the kind of oil usage you are seeing. You could check with your dealer and see if there is any campaign on the issue. I have not seen anything. You also might cruise some of the Dmax forums and see what you can find.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
LMMNOCATS_EFI wrote:
Hmm ok and thanks for the replies , theres no leak what so ever and no blue smoke just the normal cloud "small" cloud from my tunes because blowing smoke is stupid but any how was just wondering what would cause it to burn oil vs the LMM .... ill keep searching online .... Thanks again all

The LMM likely burned a little too. But that oil was likely replaced
By a slight amount of diesel during the regen process. A very common occurence. Not really a good thing, and the reason the LML uses a 9th injector to regen with. Oil dilution due to regens is impossible with the LML.

Having said that, My LML goes an entire oil change without any oil being added. But it is stock. Your tuned one..... can very well use more. Gonna play, gotta pay.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

LMMNOCATS_EFI
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm ok and thanks for the replies , theres no leak what so ever and no blue smoke just the normal cloud "small" cloud from my tunes because blowing smoke is stupid but any how was just wondering what would cause it to burn oil vs the LMM .... ill keep searching online .... Thanks again all

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nope, not normal, itโ€™s probably burning oil.
However, try a differnet oil. Iโ€™m notoriously bad for checking oil on vehicles if it doesnโ€™t leak and doesnโ€™t smoke Blue it will make it to the next oil change.....lol.
But, both diesels Iโ€™ve put a bunch of personal miles on now. A LB7 and a 5.9, sometimes will use a couple quarts before an oil change is due and sometimes not.
If itโ€™s running fine, it could be a freak occurrence or could be the type of oil.
JMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like I don't drive my LMM enough. It only has 56k miles on it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jfritz_drfritz
Explorer
Explorer
Check for leaks first

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
My LML (2015.5) only has 47K on it, but on a typical 7500 mile oil change cycle it uses maybe 1/2 qt oil. Simlar to what my LLY did and still does at 190K miles.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!