Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Florida to yellowstone
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Florida to yellowstone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Mmartinez10903

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prospective travel trailer owner here. Looking to take family from Florida to Yellowstone for the summer. Can this be done adequately in a two-week block or will I need three weeks? How soon do I need to book our sites? Are there any places we “have” to see or stay at? Any insight is appreciated. I realize this is opening a giant can of worms.
Thanks to those who respond.

yr2017

Montana/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mmartinez10903 wrote:

Prospective travel trailer owner here. Looking to take family from Florida to Yellowstone for the summer. Can this be done adequately in a two-week block or will I need three weeks? How soon do I need to book our sites? Are there any places we “have” to see or stay at? Any insight is appreciated. I realize this is opening a giant can of worms.
Thanks to those who respond.

Takes a 4 days to drive out and another 4 back if you don't stop and view the landscapes. Take 3 weeks to see everything.
If you don't already own a trailer, consider a fly/drive - fly to Denver and rent a class C there

Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you were hoping to go this summer, I would have booked my camping already.

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inside YNP there are some first come/first serve campgrounds with no hookups that will probably be your only option if you want to stay inside the park. Otherwise check for openings at West Yellowstone for sites with hookups. P

It is over 2,300 miles Tampa to YNP south entrance. 600 miles is a long day. 600 miles for 4 straight days is really long. And that means no real stopping along the way. Even on interstates you will probably average about 55 mph factoring in rest stops, fuel stops, eating.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The four day drive time is a bit optimistic unless you really push hard. It's about 2300 miles so you are talking about 600 mile days. And that is from North Florida, add another day from South Florida. If you don't know this it is a very bad idea to exceed 60 mph when towing a TT. We've made the trip a number of times from Florida and I'd put it at 5 days each way. With stops for fuel and other reasons you can probably figure on 50 mile/hr on average traveling. So that would be 12 hour days, start at 7 AM and drive to 7 PM. You'll be exhausted on arrival.

My advice try somewhere closer. One trick I used was to start the first day of a holiday preferably a Friday holiday. That gives another day or so and a two week block is actually 16 days since you have a weekend on each end if you start your vacation on a Monday.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

600 miles a day is way too much for my family.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Rocky Mountain NP is about 1800 miles, 4 days easy travel, South Rim of the Grand Canyon is about 2000 miles or 4 and a half days. Rocky Mountains isn't the greatest NP but if your family has not been out west much you'll enjoy it. Lots of real mountains, Mountain Goats, Elks and so on. There are a number of other parks in Colorado's east side that you could visit too.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was young we did such things. You need 3 weeks or it will be a driving marathon.

greyhook

western new york

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're from western NY and we've done Yellowstone twice using two weeks of vacation each time. In each of those trips we visited Badlands, Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon and Grand Teton. It's 1900 miles to YNP from here so if you condense it to maybe just Yellowstone and Grand Teton, it can be done. We have dedicated "travel days"(about 700 miles a day)--a necessity for a trip like this. Do not listen to people who say it can't/shouldn't be done. If you're ok with the driving, do it. If you've never been there, it will be the trip of a lifetime, highly recommended!!
Sights in YNP; Old Faithful(of course), Lower Falls, Artist Point, Travertine Terraces in Mammoth Hot springs, Grand Prismatic Spring.
You might have luck in Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone but I'd call ASAP, the CGs in YNP will be a challenge to book this late. Colter Bay cg(not the one with hookups) in Grand Teton usually has spots open. Good luck!

* This post was edited 03/14/19 12:34pm by greyhook *

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything less than three weeks will leave you worn out from driving especially if towing a trailer is new to you. While Yellowstone should be on your "bucket list"; I would save it for when there is time for the journey to be as much fun as the destination.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Florida to yellowstone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.