cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife wants to move to a Class A, or C - bigger

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Bigfoot Truck Camper for several years now, in fact this is my second camper. Every two years I buy a new truck just to haul the camper around. So between the camper and truck I have a fair amount of money invested in truck camping. I hardly use the truck for anything beside truck camping.

The kids no longer go camping with us but the grand kids do, so my wife wants to move to a Class A, or C camper.

I have been to Alaska with my truck camper and in every corner of Canada plus several different States in the United States.

I like my truck camper mainly because I can take it anywhere.

You may have noticed that I didn't said "my wife wants to move upto a Class A or C. That's because I don't figure its a move up.

I was just wondering if I am the only person out there getting pressure to go to a different type of camper?

I have won for 2019 but 2020 is coming soon. LOL
45 REPLIES 45

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a lot to be said for a short Class A towing a small car over TC. You said in your OP you don't use the truck as a second vehicle only to haul the camper. So to me one of the main advantages is gone to use the truck as a DD. The short class A will have a better suspension compared to a C and higher HP rating. It will have more room inside, more storage for stuff and more water storage in general for dry camping. With a small tow car that gets 40 mpgs it will offset the cost of gas the Class A getting 9 mpgs, most with this set up usually put on as many if not more miles on the tow car. Things change as we get older and the extra space and convenience that the wife wants is important. When I started with this set up 15 years ago I still took our back packs in the MH thinking I would use them up in Alaska in the tow car but never did. My son and GS used them 2 years ago when we went out west. What worked good for us in our 50's no longer is good for us in our 70's so things change.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should take your wife to a dealer and let her do a test drive to see how she likes driving a Class A.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 27' Class C when we had a full house plus lots of nephews & nieces. They grew up and outgrew camping with us. That was fine as it was a lot of work and we paid our dues. Owing two cars plus a Class C meant three engines, trannies, brake systems etc. to maintain. Not cheap.

Sold the Class C, sold one car and bought a pickup and TC. Perfect for just us two now and we only have two vehicles to maintain (albeit one of them is a big azz truck). Needs change over time ... so do solutions.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed our AF 811 a lot. Now we have a class c.
Leprechaun 260 so it’s about 4 feet longer than the tc.
The climbing was getting to us. Times change.
There is no one size fits all
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I got pressured into a Class C.

Ours Winnie is 24.5 feet long, a foot more than our last big truck/camper. It's a dually. So, handling is better. We lost the 4x4 and ground clearance. However, the living space is much more roomy and comfortable.

I miss my campers. But, no regrets. Things change.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Talk to the wife and find out the "Whys" of the MH. We looked at a couple Class As a number of years ago when we had a 35' bunkhouse FW. Teenage kids were all excited about one we saw with an L-shaped couch which means they would be facing forward and have a better view than in our quad cab truck. However, when I asked Why, they said because with the MH they could go to the bathroom or get a drink/snack while I was driving down the road. As soon as I explained they would have to stay buckled up while the MH was in motion along with the fact that if they needed a break I probably did also, they lost all interest in ANY MH.

Eventually, I imagine we will kind of leave the TC world but when we do we both agree it will be either for a MH towing a small TC or more than likely a 30' TT behind a small TC.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

B-n-B
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our campers have ranged from a pop up TC, to a dinette slide out TC to a 24 foot TT and a couple good ‘ol regular hard sided TC’s. We wanted to give a larger TT a shot when the granddaughter lived close by. We ended up having empty drawers, cabinets and storage. I guess we just travel lighter than most. Plus we’re not ones to lounge around inside while out and about. The TT got totaled in a hail storm so we’re back in a TC (should be rolling off the line any day now) sized right for us and the way we travel and camp.

Given that every style of RV has some sort of compromise what really matters is whether the rig fits you and the DW’s needs and style of travel and camping.

Good luck!
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
SugarHillCTD wrote:
Old Days wrote:
I am having the same battle, the wife wants a travel trailer, I love my TC if I had a place with more land I would keep both but I don't. So it could happen this summer.:(

I lost that conversation last spring. SWMBO wanted a couch, a proper (dry) bathroom and a bed that she could easily get into.

I went along with her wishes but after nearly 20 years of TCs I wanted SHORT! We found a barely used, 2 year old 5th wheel, 28' nose to tail.

Sold the Eagle Cap privately.

That is THE HAPPY BOSS sitting under the awning.

I think we're (read she) going the same way, except we'll keep the TC too. Looking at an older high end 5er, 30' and under.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gjac wrote:
It is an interesting video, 30 secs vs 27 secs from 0-60 mph to me is not a great improvement over stock. I think a more practical test is 40 to 60 mph especially when facing a long hill that is when you need the extra performance.

You are right. In my experience with tuning other vehicles, the shifting is better and the vehicles do better on hills. I saw a big difference on my v8 Explorer even though it wasn’t a custom tune. When I had a Banks Power Pack, my Holiday Rambler with 460 did much better on hills. Hard to say how much of it was the tune and how much were the headers.

We’ve also started looking at Class As again. It would be in addition and not a replacement for the TC. We know Class As are much better for longer trips for us and plan to pull a toad to use. I’m on the fence between gasoline and diesel. The biggest pull behind getting a diesel is how much nicer the interiors are. It wouldn’t hurt that the engine will be in back with noise being less. Still, we know if we dropped some cash into a gasoline version for tuning etc, it would be fine for our use.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
Interesting testing of Class A, 0-60 and mountains, stock and tuned (5 Star Tuning) posted by Fast Lane Truck. ... not a Banks Powerpack though.

https://youtu.be/z9N5M2WhIiI
It is an interesting video, 30 secs vs 27 secs from 0-60 mph to me is not a great improvement over stock. I think a more practical test is 40 to 60 mph especially when facing a long hill that is when you need the extra performance. He mentioned a 40 hp improvement which is similar to headers on the newer engines. The older 460's and 454's see about 80 with headers, FF mufflers and a CAI. I did not see what the cost for the tuning is but I am sure it is much cheaper than the full Banks kit.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the way around the problem might be to rent a Class C from Canadream or one of the other rental outfits for a week. That way she can see the error of her thoughts. Won't be cheap to rent, but if it saves you from buying a MoHo and then going back to a truck and camper then it may be well worth the cost.
My DW was having mobility issues a couple of years ago and we looked at some nice Class A and Class C rigs. After that she decided that the TC was the best way to travel, and now she is even considering selling the TT and keeping the TC and only having one camping unit.
Good Luck
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting testing of Class A, 0-60 and mountains, stock and tuned (5 Star Tuning) posted by Fast Lane Truck. ... not a Banks Powerpack though.

https://youtu.be/z9N5M2WhIiI

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting how law changes between states.
I hear that some states allow riding in 5th with intercom installed.
Than when in California any trailer >1500 lb has to have brakes, in Nebraska I was offered 7000 lb equipment hauler with no brakes.
Sure now, when I drive in Nebraska, I watch who is behind me before stepping on brakes.
Than the 1980's motorhomes never had seat belts for passengers.
Even newer do, the belts are just lag-bolted to plywood floor.
That is what I call death trap.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Since you have new truck, why not just buy TT?. No human can not seat in them while on the road

Actually, in Michigan people can ride in the travel trailer. There's no law against it.

Bub
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne