cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV wind deflectors????????

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
Looking a purchasing a wind deflector to place on top of my 08 f-350. In doing research I have seen many pros and cons to doing this. I would like members with REAL WORLD experiences tell me about before and after use. Was MPG improved? If so by how much? Also wind noise tolerable or not?

Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
OP if you want to save fuel you can pick up a few tips by watching the video.

Here is CAT talking about fuel usage and how to save fuel. Even "if" the wing did any good look at all the other "big" factors that go into fuel savings.

(BTW, the posters that talk about big rigs and compare them to trucks and travel trailers are trying to compare oranges and footballs. Even big rigs fight and fight and fight the wind trying to get in back of the aero before it hits the trailer even through there is very little space between the wing hood and the trailer.)
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wrong app for a reflector for the OP. Notice the successful claims are not 10 feet away from the trailer on the roof of the truck cab.
If you get one though, it needs to be chrome and look like an old skool dragster!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
so looks like 2 who have actually used the air dams. The O/P was looking for actual usage not I think, opinions are like ...H.... we all have them.

As one of the two {see my first post complete with a photo of the rig and a detailed explanation of how and why it actually worked for me} who has had, and shared actual, real-world experience this thread has convinced me that "Denial" is not just a river in Egypt.

As noted above one of the additional proofs that a deflector properly set up works is the absence of bugs on the front of the trailer. Don't know how the deniers can explain that one but I too never had bugs on the front of the rig when running with the deflector. Maybe it scares them up and over the trailer and has nothing to do with wind being directed. :S

LMAO :B
Well, the Flat Earthers don't understand why people continue to deny that the earth is flat when they can demonstrate it so well. Would that be denial too?

Personally I can see how your setup would work better than most, since the wing is far enough back that there might not be enough room for the air to curl up and over, or around the sides. And bugs being further up the trailer mean very little when it comes to air currents, since we are talking about air currents and not bugs.

And people who are convinced that the latest and greatest gas saver they just put on their vehicle works, will usually find that it works great. They unconsciously drive a little easier, use a little less throttle, back off just a touch more, et voila' better gas mileage due to the latest gadget.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
so looks like 2 who have actually used the air dams. The O/P was looking for actual usage not I think, opinions are like ...H.... we all have them.

As one of the two {see my first post complete with a photo of the rig and a detailed explanation of how and why it actually worked for me} who has had, and shared actual, real-world experience this thread has convinced me that "Denial" is not just a river in Egypt.

As noted above one of the additional proofs that a deflector properly set up works is the absence of bugs on the front of the trailer. Don't know how the deniers can explain that one but I too never had bugs on the front of the rig when running with the deflector. Maybe it scares them up and over the trailer and has nothing to do with wind being directed. :S

LMAO :B

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
TimnJo wrote:
I had one, non-adjustable, for my fifth wheel, attached it to the cargo rack on the back part of the crewcab. I did see slightly better mileage when towing but it was such a pain to put on and attach securely that I left it on while out touring when we were travelling, wiping out any potential gas savings. It did, however, move the 'bug line' way up to the top of the fiver, so some benefit there. I bought it used for $75 and sold it a few years later for $50.

Ya, mine is adjustable and can be laid flat when not in use. Yes, I too had very little big splatter on the front of the trailer. Which shows that it works. It was also way easier to clean the front after a trip.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
I had one, non-adjustable, for my fifth wheel, attached it to the cargo rack on the back part of the crewcab. I did see slightly better mileage when towing but it was such a pain to put on and attach securely that I left it on while out touring when we were travelling, wiping out any potential gas savings. It did, however, move the 'bug line' way up to the top of the fiver, so some benefit there. I bought it used for $75 and sold it a few years later for $50.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
I, like many others, used to see a few of these years ago but see very few these days. That alone should give you some pause.

Ditto.
I used to see them in the 70s and 80s, and maybe early 90s... and none for at least 20 years.
Bob

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Read up on "Self-fulfilling prophecies". What you want to happen will happen.

Hmmm!!!! Or what has happened, happened because of a single change!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read up on "Self-fulfilling prophecies". What you want to happen will happen.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
On TTs with nearly vertical fronts as those who posted pictures have they do work. I have one mounted on a headache rack on the front of the bed of a short bed pickup and gained 1 MPG pulling that style of TT. The optimal setting was the trailing edge up apx. 1 degree from the line along the plane of the deflector to the top edge of the TT.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up.5 mpg with deflector. It also made the truck not work as hard (I can watch the throttle opening and load on the motor with my dash command app) it goes down when the deflector is on.
And yes it needs to be mounted as far back as possible, the closer to the trailer the better. Even without my app I can tell the deflector works by the almost nonexistent amount of bugs on the front of the trailer. One of the best things Iโ€™ve done for towing!

I paid $75 for it and figured it paid for itself on our first 2k miles trip.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP was looking for first hand experience and has gotten one response fitting that request. You have a sample size of "one" to make your decision. I, like many others, used to see a few of these years ago but see very few these days. That alone should give you some pause. Getting a 2 mpg boost would really be something.

I knew a guy years ago who read about a new "top secret" way to increase your mileage in any internal combustion engine. The story went that the government (yeah) knew all about this but wanted to keep it from the public for fear that it would seriously hurt the petroleum industry. The secret was to tape two skinny magnets to opposite sides of the gas intake line of the carb. He did this, loaded his family into a huge 70's vintage station wagon and drove to California. Came back and swore he got "better" mileage. Never said how much better. Point here is that when people buy in, either monetarily or emotionally, their statements are often biased. Now, lets talk hitches and tow vehicles, shall we?
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled doubles commercially weighing 120,000 lbs. for 17 years, and people don't believe me when I say wind makes more difference than weight regarding mileage.
With a fifth wheel trailer, you can't get the air wing close enough to the trailer to help. Semis ideally try to get them within 18 inches to help. The farther away they get the less they help, and has been said here already, can make things worse.
With that being said, try it and see how it works.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L