cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pull Through or Back in sites? Which do you prefer.

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to put this out there out of curiosity:

Pull Through and back in sites each have their own advantage/disadvantages. I tend to like the back in sites, as I feel they are more secluded on 3 sides. Which type of site do you prefer and why?
34 REPLIES 34

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer back in sites. The places where I go these site allow me to back up to the lake. The pull through sites are in the middle of the park with worse views and less privacy.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only time I have a preference is when stopping for the night on a longer trip. With a pull through, I can drive in, not unhook, then drive out the next day. It is relatively rare to find a back in site that I can back in and not unhook without blocking the roadway.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pull throughs are easier. Many back-in sites are fine but some are terrible. I do not like dense trees in the way when backing in.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
whichever gives us the best view.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
kandkbrand wrote:
rbpru wrote:
Six of one half a dozen of another. We choose the site based on shade, slope, proximity to Rest Rooms and distance to play ground.

Obviously pull throughs are the easiest but after the first twenty or so back ins, it really does not make a lot of difference.

good luck

X2

X-3

I don't have much of a preference. Should the site be tight, as I travel alone I will accept help in avoiding obstacles etc.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

kandkbrand
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Six of one half a dozen of another. We choose the site based on shade, slope, proximity to Rest Rooms and distance to play ground.

Obviously pull throughs are the easiest but after the first twenty or so back ins, it really does not make a lot of difference.

good luck

X2

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's showing out, but I much prefer the back in sites. I back pretty well.
Places I camp are generally wider at back in spots, giving more room outside.
(We don't camp to stay in a camper... We stay outside a good part of the time.)
I like sites with enough room outside for chairs, a fire pit, a picnic table, a cooking table, and maybe a Fly tent for cooking on rainy days.
My favorite campground has sites about 45-50 yards apart with trees and brush between sites. Lots of privacy.

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
For a one-nighter, pull through because they're usually long and level enough that we can stay hitched. Also pull-through if arriving very late at night so we create minimal disturbance. Beyond that it doesn't matter, there are dozens of other criteria for a preferable campsite more important than pull through or back in.

However, I do prefer angled back-in sites. I've been in a few campgrounds (forest service, mostly) where the sites are at 90 degrees and really narrow road with trees either side doesn't let you back in a decently sized trailer.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just about all of the CGs we stay at are back-ins and first come, first serve. The few that do have pull-throughs are sometimes really wide yet have really narrow back-ins where your awning almost hits your neighbor. Just depends on the CG.

What I don't like about back-ins is occasionally you get neighboring campers swarming around you like flies to help. If you see me, please stay the heck away 'cuz you really don't help and are a distraction! :M

After a looong leg of a trip like say 5+ hours, the drive has been stressful and I'm tired, hungry and gotta go p**, I'll take the first pull-through I can find (if available) no matter how bad it is... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Sometimes it's a case of driving around to find a site that works for sat TV or has full hook-ups and the type of site is a secondary decision.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer

good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on whatโ€™s behind the back in site. If itโ€™s barking dogs or screaming kids in the rear neighboring sites, Iโ€™d rather have a pull through. If itโ€™s woods or waterfront, I prefer back in.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
The angle of the back in campsite to the road is more important to me. Pull through is easiest. I haven't gained any extra privacy with back ins since most of the CGs I've stayed at have back ins butting against each other from parallel roads.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
It all depends on the park. No preference otherwise.

Same here. Our seasonal site is a pull through. It is pretty large at about 70L X 50W. I don't think we've been in any back-in sites that size in any park. We've been in back-up sites that are smaller and we've been in Pull through sites that are smaller.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
No real preference. I just like a site with a bit of room around it, so I'll take whichever fits. I guess for a stop in the middle of a trip I would prefer pull through. But I have never taken an RV trip that required an overnight stop so I can't speak from experience.

Hey Jebby I'm curious why you block off the site with the truck? Is it an aesthetics reason? Or have you had issues with people doing weird things like trying to park in your site?

Jebby14 wrote:

side note I use the truck to block off the site from the road once unhooked.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup