cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing larger TT

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for some help. I have towed bay boats 12 to 24 feet. I have towed 24 ft hybrid TT 5000#, 27ft. TT 5200# with average F-150.
It’s time to get back in the game. I am looking at a 29 ft. 5700# TT to be towed with. 2016 Ram5.7 crew 3.92 rear end, tow up to 10,200#’s. It will have a sway bar set up.
Anything to focus on different towing this larger rig? Or is it just put it n the wind and consintrate as we go down the road. Trailer is used with newer good year tires. I was looking to go 24 to 27 ft. But like the larger layouts. Thanks for your thoughts and guidance! Tomm

Looking at a
2016 Jayco White Hawk Series M-24 RKS
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.
13 REPLIES 13

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
1/2 ton newer rams are not ideal rear suspension setups for heavy towing, stock. Look at bags or something for the truck imo.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
With that TT and your truck you should have no problems using and Andersen.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
WTW wrote:
Went to see the 2016 Jayco M-24RKS. Very nice unit. People showed me their two year scrapbook of travels. Many miles on TT no blow outs matching original tires. So not sure about it being under tired or axel?
This is a crazy nice TT for the price. But larger than I wish. Leads me into my next question? See post. Hitch weight? Compare?

For any kind of answer on hitch weight, post the payload rating on the door post of your truck. Along with weights of passengers and misc. cargo inside and in the bed, you can get a pretty good idea as to where you stand.
It will be hard to tell if any camper is under tired or at the limit of the axles without weighing it. I used the cargo capacity as stated on the camper sticker as a guide.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 5200lb dry, 6500lb loaded TT with a 1/2 ton Dodge conv. van. It towed just fine and never had an issue. Is that 5700lb trailer dry or is it the GVWR. I’m guessing dry, that will put you at 7k lbs loaded for a trip. I don’t see any issues towing that trailer with a properly equipped 1/2 ton.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Trigger warning!
Max tow weight of a truck usually means nothing in the world of TT’s. The payload sticker on your truck matters.
The tongue weight of that particular TT will approach 800 pounds or more. With WD, you are getting up to 900 pounds taken away from the payload of your truck.
In addition, with a cargo capacity of less than 1300 pounds, according to brochure weights which are almost always smaller than actual weights, the suspension of that camper is going to be close to maxed out when you load it up.
My kids bought a similar camper. They have had a lot of tire problems. It has the same suspension that our 1500 pound lighter Dart has. Personally, I would want a minimum of 2000 pound cargo capacity. Just to have some breathing room.
My $.03, anyway.

BINGO. We recently upgraded from an F150 to an F250. Went from 1340 lbs payload to over 3000 lbs. We were well within limits for all numbers with the F150 except the payload, which we were over. Although the F150 had enough power, the difference in handling is much, much better. The Equalizer hitch did a great job in both setups but the truth is, you can't compensate for going over the payload capacity. If you're over, you're over; and the handling is sacrificed.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Make certain that the hitch will handle the tongue weight. If your tongue weight will be even close to 1000lbs get the 1200/12,000 hitch, not the 1000/10,000.

Ok, I see its a used trailer and the hitch is being thrown in. That's what I get for trying to be Evelyn Wood. Hey, all you can do is tow with the hitch to see how it handles. If it tows fine then you saved yourself 750 bucks.

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Went to see the 2016 Jayco M-24RKS. Very nice unit. People showed me their two year scrapbook of travels. Many miles on TT no blow outs matching original tires. So not sure about it being under tired or axel?
This is a crazy nice TT for the price. But larger than I wish. Leads me into my next question? See post. Hitch weight? Compare?
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
WTW wrote:
Thanks for the info and education. It does come with weight distribution hitch, I meant to say that.
Yep, marathons stick on boat trailers, too. Thanks for the tire note. I am not looking for tire or towing issues, thus my over bearing questions here. I am to look at the TT tomorrow,. Not to know what to think about tongue weight and cargo rating? Thanks for your thoughts GrandpaKip. I have 4 to 6 months before we will begin to camp, so this camper may go down as a learning curve.

You’re welcome. There is definitely a learning curve, especially about weights. It’s all worth it, though.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info and education. It does come with weight distribution hitch, I meant to say that.
Yep, marathons stick on boat trailers, too. Thanks for the tire note. I am not looking for tire or towing issues, thus my over bearing questions here. I am to look at the TT tomorrow,. Not to know what to think about tongue weight and cargo rating? Thanks for your thoughts GrandpaKip. I have 4 to 6 months before we will begin to camp, so this camper may go down as a learning curve.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Trigger warning!
Max tow weight of a truck usually means nothing in the world of TT’s. The payload sticker on your truck matters.
The tongue weight of that particular TT will approach 800 pounds or more. With WD, you are getting up to 900 pounds taken away from the payload of your truck.
In addition, with a cargo capacity of less than 1300 pounds, according to brochure weights which are almost always smaller than actual weights, the suspension of that camper is going to be close to maxed out when you load it up.
My kids bought a similar camper. They have had a lot of tire problems. It has the same suspension that our 1500 pound lighter Dart has. Personally, I would want a minimum of 2000 pound cargo capacity. Just to have some breathing room.
My $.03, anyway.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
as far as TT size i think you will be comfortable towing that size TT. our first TT was 33ft and loaded to camp was in the 7500lb range. our current TT is 37ft long and approx 9500lb loaded to camp.

my truck is a 2017 f250 6.2 gasser with 3.73 rear end.

wdh and sway bar.

the truck has towed from nc to niagara falls, florida, mountains, and coasts and everywhere inbetween. we have a 37ft TT because wife wanted 3 slides and more space. a fifth wheel with 3 slides would push my truck to the max and i prefer a comfortable towing experience

your TT length shouldn't give you any problems at gas stations. mine does so i plan ahead for fuel stops at gas stations with plenty of space.

gotta watch the curbs closely when turning but overall im happy with the setup

enjoy!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
WTW wrote:
I am looking at a 29 ft. 5700# TT to be towed with. 2016 Ram5.7 crew 3.92 rear end, tow up to 10,200#’s. It will have a sway bar set up.

Anything to focus on different towing this larger rig? Or is it just put it n the wind and consintrate as we go down the road. Trailer is used with newer good year tires.

Towing that size of trailer you need more than just sway control - weight distribution is a MUST.

A 2016 trailer with Goodyear tires means they're most likely Marathons which garnered a reputation for failure and in fact were discontinued by Goodyear and replaced with the Made in USA Endurance.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I had a Tundra CrewMax 5.7 with the Max Tow package (10,400). We started with a Jayco 24RKS. Nice trailer and well within the Truck limits. Towed pretty well. Wife decided we needed more space, so now 28RL. Towed several times, once on a good 5 hour trip, with high winds and lots of big rigs passing us on the highway. This last trip, I realized the truck is fine and is still within limits (barely) but it was not comfortable. The trailer seemed to control the truck in the wind, and big rigs passing seemed like a vacuum as they passed. Hills were killer also.

Just towed the same trailer with our 2018 Dodge RAM 3/4 with the Cummins Turbo Desiel. Heavy winds also, and for once the truck controlled the trailer. Great towing experance and what a difference. I’m in Arizona so we get winds, mountains and just about everything. If your area is flat with low winds you may be good to go.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL