Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Arctic Fox black tank valve glued in?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Arctic Fox black tank valve glued in?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a mobile service guy come out to quote me on replacing my black tank valve. The valve has been very difficult to operate (especially close) and is leaking a small amount.

After cutting an access door in the underbody to look at things, he concluded that the valve is glued to the black tank. He pointed out some hard white material at the connection and said it was glue. Oddly, there was a hose clamp there as well. That made no sense to me that they would glue it AND clamp it. And it's so close to the tank that cutting it off is not an option as it wouldn't leave enough for a new valve to be installed. So, he recommends leaving it open and installing another valve downstream where he has access.

These valves are prone to failure and need replacing from time to time. Is it normal for them to be glued like this or is it possible this white stuff is something other than glue? I'm beginning to wonder if this service guy knows what he's looking at.

* This post was edited 03/15/19 05:41pm by Njmurvin *

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

jimack

Lake Charles/Oak Grove La.

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try loosing the clamp and see if it pulls out.
I dont have ur trailer but on mine there is a rubberized nozzle coming out of the black tank. The 3" line slips inside the nozzle and the hose clamp goes around the nozzle.
The black valve usually bolts in between 2 flanges that are glued in the 3" line from the black tank.

BobKrogstie

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 3" Bladex valve is glued and clamped to the black tank. The 4 bolts of the valve can be loosened and the blade body itself can be removed for maintenance or replacement. You may have to loosen the 3" pipe on the output side of the valve to provide some play for removing the valve body. [image]

Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto

BobKrogstie

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's another look at the black tank and valve. These pix were taken as I was replacing the valve body and gaskets. [image]

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does that mean you can take off the 4 bolts and slide the valve body out without cutting the pipe on the outboard side?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People leave the old valve in, leave it open and install one of these.

Not an elegant fix but it works and is cheap

BTW I find it have to believe a valve is both clamped and glued in, normally people disassemble the sticky valve via the 4 bolts. Clean it and lube the stem (the metal rod) with silicone grease. Cycle the valve several times and reassemble. You have to get the tank empty and flush it several times with detergent solution (Dawn) before doing this.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BobKrogstie

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Njmurvin wrote:

Does that mean you can take off the 4 bolts and slide the valve body out without cutting the pipe on the outboard side?
Yes.

Ralph Cramden

Not on this rag of a forum

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tank in the pictures is MDPE, the valve and piping is ABS. No glue is used for the connection to the tank, and if it was it would not stick to the MDPE tank. Nothing "sticks" to MDPE for any length of time. What you see is sealant. If it was a hard connection there is no need for the hose clamp. In the OPs case ABS glue is black or yellow anyway, not white. The RV tech was blowing smoke. Most OEMs use electricians duct seal in that ABS to MDPE connection along with the clamp.

No need regardless to mess with that connection, as BobK points out.

* This post was last edited 03/16/19 08:27am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Rvpapa

Alberta , Can.

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try another scenario. The tank and the valve are both ABS. The valve is glued to the tank. The clamp is there to prevent the valve from being pushed on to far when assembling (glue sets up real quick). Valve is normally changed as AGESILAUS pointed out. Finally and most important, find somebody else to work on your rig.
Art.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like a pipe stub is glued to the valve and the stub is clamped into the neck on the tank so it can slide out after loosening the clamp. Even if that isn't so, it doesn't matter... It doesn't need to come apart there anyway. Take the four bolts out and replace the center section. Craig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Arctic Fox black tank valve glued in?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.