Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Certified Pre Owned 2016

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Would like some opinions on this deal.
I found a 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gas with only 20K miles. It’s an LT model with all the extras I would need and it definitely meets my towing needs with its 13K rating.
My questions are about the GM Certified warranty and buying a used truck. The truck price is very reasonable and at a Chevy dealership. They have it priced under KBB and giving me a fair trade on my 2005 2500HD.
Should I be skeptical? The warranty as explained sounds very good. Why would someone trade this truck with only 20K Miles ? I’m thinking a lease or a reposition. The dealer told me it was too big for their needs. I worried the dealer is doing a quick unload. Either way it’s a nice truck and a price we can live with, it’s just my skepticism about the deal or truck being too good to be true.
Opinions welcome. We’ve not dropped a dime on this truck. Yes I’ve checked the area and no 2016 2500HD exists with this low of a mileage at this price.
Thanks in advance
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
30 REPLIES 30

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Great to hear! I know people who trade every few years as well, so it is not that uncommon. It is especially nice when the vehicle is as well looked after as yours is. Enjoy! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up to my post.
I’ve purchased this vehicle and I’m very pleased. I have a 12/12 bumper to bumper from GM CPO and the balance of the factory drivetrain warranty. I got copy of the Car Fax report before purchasing and it is definitely a local one owner. It was not a leased vehicle as I found information in the glove box on the previous owner. I feel like I have a brand new truck that was extremely well cared for and gently used, as a matter of fact it’s never even towed. The previous owner was a local business owner and this was his personal truck. For whatever reason he must just get a new truck every couple years and I got his most recent trade, I feel like I got lucky. Turns out the dealer had several others looking at this truck and from all the CPO paperwork it was only on their lot about 10 days.
Thanks again for the information and giving me the confidence to make this purchase.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ExxWhy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Listen to 1320! Apparently marketing works on some, as evidenced by this thread.
If it’s a good truck for you, get it. Don’t be wooed by certified this and inspected that.

A GM certified vehicle gets an extra 12 months 12K miles bumper to bumper over and above the original warranty which is still in effect on this truck, good at any Chevy dealer. That is a tangible benefit, not just marketing. I believe Ford and Ram offer similar programs. I do agree the inspection is only as good as the tech doing it and is often just BS marketing.

What does the history report say about it? What does it look like? If it doesn't look abused, it probably wasn't. 20K is not that many miles and I would expect it to look nearly new. It's probably a good deal if the truck fits your needs and wants.

That is a bit of a benefit for sure. So it's like worth another $500 or something? Still sales and marketing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
I doubt it's a lease return as they rarely lease 2500 series trucks.

Maybe that's the case up north. Around here lease's on 2500 and 3500's are very common.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a CPO Traverse.

I'd do it again. Not because it's certified/inspected. I still checked it out and test drove it of course.

But because they extend the factory GM warranty. We had to have some warranty work done for the timing chain and the steering rack (known issue with TSB's on the year we had) and had no issues getting it taken care of.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Listen to 1320! Apparently marketing works on some, as evidenced by this thread.
If it’s a good truck for you, get it. Don’t be wooed by certified this and inspected that.

A GM certified vehicle gets an extra 12 months 12K miles bumper to bumper over and above the original warranty which is still in effect on this truck, good at any Chevy dealer. That is a tangible benefit, not just marketing. I believe Ford and Ram offer similar programs. I do agree the inspection is only as good as the tech doing it and is often just BS marketing.

What does the history report say about it? What does it look like? If it doesn't look abused, it probably wasn't. 20K is not that many miles and I would expect it to look nearly new. It's probably a good deal if the truck fits your needs and wants.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Sent you a PM.

The certified does give you a bumper to bumper warranty, and the original warranty. I have found that all the certified also have a free car fax.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great information. We will be pursuing purchasing this truck. You’ve all been a big help.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 2500HD Chevy with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears 4x4. The truck and powertrain are solid. I have 113,000 miles on her and she was exactly 9 years old on March 1st. Never had any oil in it except Mobile 1. Change tranny fluid every 50,000 miles with Valvolene which is a full synthetic and not a belend. Engine likes to rev and drank gas. My only regret is that it came with a 26 gallon gas tank. When she gets to 1/2 I start looking for a gas station. One time while pulling my camper down I-85 between Auburn and Montgomery I put 26.2 gallons in it! I was really running on fumes. Miles remaining said 25!
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just be aware that not all shops report to Car Fax. A person still has to have a car inspected IMO.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Car Fax! We looked at a newer car that was in an accident. Checking revealed replaced engine and $15K to repair.

We bought a similar certified car with 5 years left on the warranty. It was a loaner car and we have no regrets.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you really want it get it. I look at newer trucks every year, but always hold off because it is not my daily driver.

I bought my 2002 2500HD in 2010 with 23,000 miles on it. Here is it 2019 and I just rolled 54,500. Some people just don't drive their trucks. I am not a truck guy so I just us it to tow. I would not be scared of the truck you are looking at.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
CPO is no different than any other used vehicle. Determining collision repair is easy for an expert eye, and the dealer should have maintenance records. Treat it just like any other used vehicle purchase and pay for a professional third party inspection if you're not confident of your own assessment skills.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...