Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weeknight Coq au Vin

Kebamo
Explorer
Explorer
Weeknight Coq au Vin

This simplified coq au vin delivers on all the flavors of chicken, mushrooms and pearl onions with a wine-infused sauce easy enough for a weeknight dinner.

Ingredients

6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
8 oz cremini or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups dry red wine, like Pinot Noir or Syrah
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 tablespoons chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley

Steps
* 1 Heat 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel-lined plate; reserve. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven; discard the rest.
* 2 Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper. Add to Dutch oven; cook 8 to 9 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut (at least 165ยฐF). Remove and reserve. Add onions, mushrooms and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to Dutch oven, and stir to coat; increase heat to medium-high, and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until onions are just starting to brown.
* 3 Stir in garlic; cook about 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant. Add wine, broth and chicken; return to simmering. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until onions and mushrooms are tender. Remove chicken to serving platter; cover with foil.
* 4 In small bowl, mix flour and softened butter; mash with fork to form a paste. Beat butter mixture into wine mixture in Dutch oven with whisk. Simmer about 3 minutes, beating constantly, until paste is completely dissolved and broth has thickened.
* 5 Spoon sauce and vegetables over chicken; garnish with bacon and parsley.
Karl & Bobbi
1994 Coachman Leprechaun Class C
2 B 1 ASK 1
Retired/DAV
Passport America Member R-0310475
Good Sams Club Member
KE3NF Advance Class Ham Radio Operator
Conway, SC. USA
2 REPLIES 2

Kebamo
Explorer
Explorer
Me I prefer the instant pot some things I do outside like a steak or a roast over the open fire but the instant pot is the only way to go
Karl & Bobbi
1994 Coachman Leprechaun Class C
2 B 1 ASK 1
Retired/DAV
Passport America Member R-0310475
Good Sams Club Member
KE3NF Advance Class Ham Radio Operator
Conway, SC. USA

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
I like Dutch oven cooking when camping, This looks like a keeper.