Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: SRW TC size/weight limit
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> SRW TC size/weight limit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Tfair1

Northern MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull a 5th wheel toy hauler around Minnesota and want to buy a TC for cross country travel for just my wife and I. I have had a number of small (8') TC's in the past, but want something a bit larger. What is the "reasonable" size/weight limit for a '15 Duramax 3500 SRW Crew Cab LB? I understand DRW is the preferred way to do this, but how much camper could I expect to haul well,without wishing I had bought smaller...?

I'm guessing this subject has probably been discussed at length in the past.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has, and as you willl see, the opinions vary greatly.
I would run up around 4500lbs without thinking twice about it in a new 3500 long box.
With whatever mods might be warranted to get you there.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine your weight limit would be determined by your tire load capacity. I know it is for my 2006 Duramax. 2 * tire capacity - empty weight on rear wheels = absolute max upper weight limit. The axle capacity in a Duramax is way over 10000 lbs.
And if you start pushing the tire limit, you may need spring upgrades of some style to be happy with the ride.

Cal

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen a Lance 975 on a truck like you have,but I wouldn't go any bigger. You would probably need air bags.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your rear tires dictate the weight you can safely carry.

On the side of the tires there ought to be something like: "xxxx max lbs at yyy psi".

Get your rear end weighed empty (many are fairly close to 3000lbs) and then subtract the empty weight from the tires rating * 2 = absolute maximum payload.

Personally, I'll make sure that there is ~500lbs or more capacity then payload.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weigh your rear axle and subtract from your tire weight rating, this will give you a starting point. If you want to stay below the sticker ratings there you go. On my 2013 2500HD my rear weighs 3600lbs and my factory tires were rated about 6400lbs so I had 2800lbs to work with. I haul a 4000lb commercial cap so I upgraded to heavier wheels and 19.5 tires as well as upgraded springs and airbags.

Rocknxj

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've hauled my Lance 921 on my '97 SWR F350 for the last 12 years with no issues. The camper ended up weighing 4600 lbs all loaded down with fluids and gear, which is quite a bit higher than the dry weight. As has been said, the rear axle can carry the weight, but the limiting factor is the tires. I went to 19.5's with 245/70 load range G tires, 4500 lb per tire, and did not have any issues. I also nearly all the time pullad a car trailer. I would not, however, go any heavier than that. BTW, the sticker on the trucks for rear axle load rating is the tires. You can look up your actual axle rating if you search for it.

'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD
Full air bag rear suspension, Banks Brake, 74 gal fuel, PU bed conversion

'04 Lance 1161, side entry

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hauled an 11' Fleetwood on a 2007 Chevy SRW 3500. It was an older model camper so it had no basement and no slides. Loaded up to camp it put about 4,500 pounds on the truck. I was right at the limit of the rear tires. I added airbags and drove it thousands of miles without incident. Your truck is even more capable due to it's improved frame and springs from an '07. However, I would try to stay with no more than a 9 or 10 foot camper. Modern campers with basements and slides are a lot heavier.
When I put my 11' camper on a 2005 Chevy dually after a few years the difference in ride and handling was incredible. It was a much, much nicer experience. Less bounce, less sway, better ride, etc. The dually isn't a slight upgrade, it's a monumental improvement.

steelhunter

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to check your wheel capacity.
Many custom wheels have less weight capacity than the stock.
Generally, steel wheels have the highest ratings.

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have a about a 4k payload. I hauled my TC in my signature with my 11 duramax which is the year they made the big upgrade in payload. My TC with wet and all gear is right around that 4k and it handled fine even when pulling my 3500 pound boat. I presently haul the same TC with my 2017 3500 gasser and it is just great. The only add is my quick connect Torklift stable loads. These work very well for corner swaying. All that being said sticking somewhere around the
4k mark is what I would do. I am also within my tire specs. JMHO

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> SRW TC size/weight limit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.