cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Range Stabilizers

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Here in the RV park the guy next to us has a fairly new Open Range 5th wheel. Nice fella. He was telling me that on most trailers if you have problems with the front stabilizer motor you can hand-crank the stabilizers up. (that's the way mine is) On his, you can't. On a recent trip his batteries went dead so he had to basically "jump" them to get his stabilizers up. There is no way to physically crank them up. I told him I would post that issue on RVNent. He said his manual did not address this.
13 REPLIES 13

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
salem wrote:
Wonder if that would also work for the slide crank also?

It wouldn't have on my old Komfort as there wasn't room. Had just about enough room to get a ratchet and socket on the shaft, and that was it. I'm thinking of seeing if I can find one of those "ratchet" combo wrenches for my rear electric leveling jacks since they're so close to the floor that I'm not sure I could get a socket and ratchet on top to manually move them. Down side to having auto-level is that you've got to move each front jack separately, a little at a time, if something happens.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if that would also work for the slide crank also?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
salem wrote:
BobSue: He checked. Nothing there.:) I'm beginning to think someone at the factory forgot to install something.

Like the hole to expose the manual crank fitting... 😞 FWIW, I know several people who bought an extra crank handle, chopped the handle off and simply chuck the remainder up in their cordless drill. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbor left this morning before I got a chance to impress him with my knowledge. Thanks to everyone for trying. He had looked everywhere he could think of for access.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, he is just not finding the right spot. I have access points on all six levelers.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple solution is for them to call Open Range directly although it is really Highland Ridge RVs that they will be speaking with. Of much greater concern is why they have dead batteries to begin with, in either event these are easily remedied issues with proper diagnosis. I am a fan of some of the rigs produced by Highland Ridge, they are currently on our short list of RV manufacturers we are considering for our next RV purchase.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
BobSue: He checked. Nothing there.:) I'm beginning to think someone at the factory forgot to install something.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have him check the ends of his landing gear drives......should be a place on mtor end/gear box where the notched wrench connects to hand crank
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
My Open Range came with a tool to do this. It looks like a large speed wrench. The end of the wrench looks like a socket with a notch cut out on the end. Open the door for the propane, and you will see an extended small rod with a shear pin look to it. The socket fits over this and you crank the handle, or spin the tool to raise or lower the landing gear.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, they're electric, not hydraulic. He has a battery on each side of the front storage compartment. Doesn't see any kind of cranking access hole. Strange.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, that'll give him a couple of places to start looking.

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
While he may surely be correct for his unit, on my OR the manual crank point is in the battery compartment,on the back wall just to the left of the red circuit breaker.
Try it sometime though; jumping the battery may be a lot easier and faster.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
While it is certainly possible, I lean towards the idea that he simply didn't know how. On some hydraulic stabilizers, you basically spin the hydraulic pump motor to raise the jacks. There's no direct manual jack as such.

I does depend on how what kind of jacks he has.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"