cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I made a prediction on January 2019 that satellite TV will be gone in 2 years, looks like I might be right..

Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers in 3 months and the CEO wants to still raise prices and lower the channels..

Better get yourself a good internet connection for your RV..

https://youtu.be/9b5_Pdmi3R4
164 REPLIES 164

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a great source for accurate information on what's available and what it costs if you are interested in satellite internet for RVer's.
Mobile Satellite Internet
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
FWIW, here's satellite Internet service - 50 GB/month data at 25 Mbps download speed (click on "50 GB" to see this plan). This download speed can handle about 5 HD resolution streams at once, or 1 to 2 4K resolution streams at once (I don't think satellite latency affects steady-state movie streaming): https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started

So ... satellite Internet access is indeed "here" (except for maybe gaming use).

Hughesnet has a captive audience, very little if any competition, once Elon and others get there satellite internet service up and running and more 5G towers setup along with more 4G towers in remote areas the prices will come way down..

Don't forget internet service thru phone lines and cable lines and soon the internet market will be saturated, I suspect by 2022 internet will be available almost any where in America and maybe cheaper cost than today..

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
it ain't cheap

This is Ku-band (or old timey) HughesNET satellite Internet service.

This is the current (Ka band) HughesNET Gen 5 satellite Internet service.

pnichols wrote:

HughesNet's most expensive satellite Internet plan is $149.99 per month.

Their equipment is about the same cost as DISH's to rent or buy. Their antennas are about the same size as DISH antennas . . .

For HughesNET home installs, the standard dish is 0.74 meter (29 inches) and a DISH 1000.2 dish is about 27 inches.

However, for better satellite reception people often upgrade to a bigger dish (.90 or -.98 meter) and now there are serious size differences . . .

pnichols wrote:

. . . so I see no reason why HughesNet couldn't be adapted to portable RV use just like with DISH or Direct TV systems.

HughesNET Gen5 portable Internet service has been available for about 2 years. I've had a portable setup for several months.

For more satellite Internet info . . . Satellite Internet for RVers.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
sempka wrote:
pnichols wrote:
FWIW, here's satellite Internet service - 50 GB/month data at 25 Mbps download speed (click on "50 GB" to see this plan). This download speed can handle about 5 HD resolution streams at once, or 1 to 2 4K resolution streams at once (I don't think satellite latency affects steady-state movie streaming): https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started

So ... satellite Internet access is indeed "here" (except for maybe gaming use).

But the cost isn't cheap, it cost as much as dishnetwork...

$6500 to $16000??? my dish is a little cheaper than that.
bumpy ๐Ÿ™‚

Huuuuuuh??? HughesNet's most expensive satellite Internet plan is $149.99 per month.

Their equipment is about the same cost as DISH's to rent or buy. Their antennas are about the same size as DISH antennas, so I see no reason why HughesNet couldn't be adapted to portable RV use just like with DISH or Direct TV systems.

The only "problem" is ... HughesNet needs to also offer regular TV programming right along with their Internet access. HOWEVER, a Roku unit could be used with HughesNet Internet service to kindof make up for no regular DISH-type or Direct TV-type entertainment programming -> for Nirvana in an RV out in the middle of nowhere.

("Gaming" won't fly with HughesNet though ... due to satellite latency issues ... but who cares about gaming when out camping in an RV in the great outdoors. :B )
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sempka wrote:
pnichols wrote:

$6500 to $16000??? my dish is a little cheaper than that.
bumpy ๐Ÿ™‚

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
it ain't cheap
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Satellite internet has "always" been here. If you are streaming, it might take a bit to get started but you will get a continuous stream but a bit of buffering would not be unexpected as multiple requests still need to happen.
Satellite Internet also requires special antennas (completely different than a satellite TV antenna) and if you plan to move from one location to another, special setups.
There are not any affordable automatic satellite internet antennas. You will need several thousand dollars to get one of those. That means you are going to have to carry a very large and bulky antenna/LNB/transmitter antenna from place to place and set it up and break it down at each new location.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
After having dish with the tailgater for ten years, ATT convinced me to go with direct. After 6 months of their system never connecting with the new phones we bought I had enough. We had spent over 7 hours on the phone with multiple technicians and over 4 hours with multiple techs in their stores. I called ATT and politely but firmly let them know I wanted to cancel their direct tv service and I did not feel that they should charge me the $240 early disconnect fee. After a month they havenโ€™t billed me, so far so good.
Now the rest of the story. I had sold my tailgater system for $250. I found a newer one for $100 in better condition than the one I had sold AND Dish gave me $300 for coming back to them! I am now a very happy camper with extra $$ in my pocket and a tv system that works, even through my phone too if I wanted. I am a Dish believer!
2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
*is driec ending SD: Story is yes. Do not know when
What to do: Option 1 Over the air, cut the sat feed stop wasting money
Option 2 Dish network.

re option 1...seems like it's his, and by extention, our money to waste. beyond that comment I'd add an option 3...streaming data but then we've beat this horse to death.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Elon's Space X is ahead of schedule by 1 year for satellite internet over America, 2020 we can have internet any where in America, bye bye satellite TV..:E
โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ...โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ...โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ...โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..
Back in 2015, SpaceX announced one of its more ambitious proposals: a constellation of satellites in orbit around the Earth, providing internet access to everyone and everywhere. Their plan involved launching over 4,000 such satellites, which would form a network capable of transmitting anywhere.

Since the initial public announcement in early 2015, there have been a few pieces of news, such as an FCC filing in late 2016 and a proposal to start launching satellites in 2019. Now, it appears that SpaceX is ahead of schedule, as itโ€™s planning to launch the first of its test satellites on Saturday. {march 2018}

While satellite internet does currently exist, SpaceXโ€™s plan is a bit different. Internet satellites today fly at geostationary orbits, over 20,000 miles above the Earth. SpaceX wants to put their satellites much closer, at around 750 miles, only three times further than the ISS. With closer satellites, connection speeds will be much faster and bandwidth will be higher.

The downside to closer satellites, though, is that SpaceX is going to need a lot more of them. It only takes a handful of satellites parked in geostationary orbit to reach the whole world, but SpaceX is going to need a few thousand.
Even a few years ago, such a feat would have been impossible, but with the recent successful launch of the Falcon Heavy and the advent of reusable spacecraft, putting 4,000 satellites in orbit might just be doable.

In fact, SpaceX is not the only company with a plan for a global internet network. Boeing, Samsung, OneWeb, and others all have plans to launch their own satellite constellation over the next few years. SpaceX might beat them all, though, simply because it also owns the rockets necessary to get those satellites into space and is already beginning to launch them.

The launch this Saturday will put two test satellites, Microsat 2a and 2b, into orbit. These satellites will test connections with ground stations in Washington, California, and Texas, plus receivers in mobile vans scattered around the country.
If these tests go well, SpaceX could begin launching the first of its satellites later this year, with a functional, if limited, network in place by 2020. This initial network would include about 800 satellites and cover the United States. The company would then begin expanding coverage to the rest of the world.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a17175238/spacex-is-launching-its-first-internet-s...
โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ.........โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ...โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ...โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ...โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ......โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..
So it looks by 2020 we could have internet by satellite with Elon's internet service and other companies are doing the same and might be online by 2022..:)

This must have Dish and DTV shaking in there shoes.. :C

I see 2020 to 2022 as the biggest drop in customers for both satellite TV companies.. :W

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
cut the sat feed stop wasting money.
Just be glad I'm not wasting your money.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
*is driec ending SD: Story is yes. Do not know when
What to do: Option 1 Over the air, cut the sat feed stop wasting money
Option 2 Dish network.

I do not feel that with my sat system, that I am "wasting" money.
anyone who feels that way should just stick with OTA and miss out on "good stuff".
bumpy